P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Guitar nerd shit...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mailweaver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymour Duncan Blackouts ahb1 set, Bill lawrence xl 550 set.
Bestial Aggressor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
I suggested EMGs because of the mention of treble/harmonics/etc...very bright active pickups. But if the guitar isn't even wired for active its a moot point anyway...
What's wrong with EMGs anyhow? Master of Puppets, Reign in Blood anyone?

Nothing is 'wrong' with them as such, I just prefer the sound/response of Duncans. It's such a subjective thing anyway...
abomination_virginborn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Guitar nerd shit... Reply with quote

Bestial Aggressor wrote:
Ok, I've just got a BC Rich Jr. V and bought a Duncan Invader pick up for the bridge.

if you told me before I would have sold you my JrV, heh. I also just bought an Invader for it too, haha. Did you get a neckthru with original floyd?
Bestial Aggressor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Guitar nerd shit... Reply with quote

abomination_virginborn wrote:
Bestial Aggressor wrote:
Ok, I've just got a BC Rich Jr. V and bought a Duncan Invader pick up for the bridge.

if you told me before I would have sold you my JrV, heh. I also just bought an Invader for it too, haha. Did you get a neckthru with original floyd?

Ha, oh well. I got a good deal on it, and yes, it's a NT with original floyd. You didn't like it?
abomination_virginborn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Guitar nerd shit... Reply with quote

Bestial Aggressor wrote:
abomination_virginborn wrote:
Bestial Aggressor wrote:

Ha, oh well. I got a good deal on it, and yes, it's a NT with original floyd. You didn't like it?

I like it a lot (apart from the widow headstock) but I have way too many guitars!
Hey, now I don't even need to bring a guitar at the gigs! Just tune it to B for me, will you? haha
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am of the opinion that EMG's are gay pick-ups. I was recommending not one hour ago to my sisters boyfriend that he avoids putting them into his Prince signature guitar (haha) and got some Seymour Duncans in it instead. I've never heard them in action, but I hear the SH-10 and the TB-10s are supposed to be quite good!
Scott K

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get rid of the Invader and snag a pair of Suhr Aldrich pickups. They're high output, but very nice.

Last edited by Scott K on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
plague

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an EMG 81-S-S HSS set in black for sale if anyone is interested...
KS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont like emg's as i find them very "same-y"..A neck thru guitar will sound very similar to some 150$ plywood shitter,i prefer a bit more character.I also find their super compressed tone fatiguing on the ears and make s me want to put the guitar down rather than keep playing.For the record i'm using invaders,dimarzio x2n and bare knuckle war pigs(my fav so far)
abomination_virginborn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS wrote:
i dont like emg's as i find them very "same-y"..A neck thru guitar will sound very similar to some 150$ plywood shitter,i prefer a bit more character.

I don't agree on that. I have an 81-85 setup on one BC Rich Warlock (USA made but bolt-on) and it sounds great, and one on a RAN Custom made Mockingbird which sounds way too trebly for my taste.
Overall I don't like EMGs either, I also use X2Ns and Duncans but the best pickup I have BY FAR is a Bartolini active humbucker, it is so good I don't even know how to begin to decribe it. It got more balls than anything I've heard, amazing harmonics, distortion beyond belief (and there's also extra boost if you want!!), yet clean at the same time. It is rare and expensive otherwise I'd have one of those on all of my gaytars.

I urge every guitarist to find one (although I have no idea if there are more than one Bartilini humbuckers for guitars, this was given to me by my guitar luthier when I was working with him 15 years ago).
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually reminds me Ronan... Scott from Diamanthian was swearing by these last time I spoke with him http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/ and you know what a crushing tone those guys have live!
abomination_virginborn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devoured Death wrote:
That actually reminds me Ronan... Scott from Diamanthian was swearing by these last time I spoke with him http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/ and you know what a crushing tone those guys have live!

All you need for a crushing tone live is a Boogie Rectifier (or something similar: Crate Blue Voodoo, Engl Powerball, Peavey 5150, Soldano, Diesel etc). With those babies you won't tell a difference even if you have stock taiwanese BC Rich pickups.
Nocturnal Deathstrike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Invader ! Very satisfied with it ! But I have not much to compare too since I used only the built in picks prior to them which obviously were just crap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: