P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Gear thread?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikael

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with 4-tracker, then got a digital 8-tracker and these days I mainly use computer with Cubase and Reaper. I have POD 2.0 that I use for demos, but real recordings are always made with real equipments without simulation. Here are few pics from the latest recording sessions in 3 different places.

Price of the gear doesn't really matter, we ended up using the smallest and cheapest Blackstar combo seen on the 2nd pic instead of the Mesa or Marshall.

THE RIPPER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valgrinder wrote:
seraphackh wrote:
Quote:
Been thinking of changing my cassette 4-tracker to digital 8-tracker. But now I will miss that analog distortion that comes when I recorded guitars. Know that distortion what comes from the tape when guitars are peaking on red, it sounds like something been broken in a good way? With digital equipment peaking sounds like electric fuzzing or something like that.

And no, I dont want to mic my guitars, I prefer line-in method. With mics I only get so weak sound, even if I use small ghettoblasters (with broken speakers) instead real guitar amps. Guitar amps only gives natural and correct sound.

Any good tips?

Get some decent equipment. There are pedals to overdrive your guitar, you know?! Wink

O'rly!?

You missed my point, I need some overdrive or effect to make that "analog tape distortion/compression".

I have about five or six effect pedals and Marshall JMC 800 amp, but problem is that I dont need "good and natural hi-fi" sound. I need to break that standard distortion to sound like your eardrums were broken, but its still so warm.

for a start you're never going to get any kind of a good Guitar sound DI, Get a mic preamp to save this problem, Loose the DI

You have a JCM 800 put a mic in front of a low budget quad turn it to 10 and learn how they really sound. if you need it more broken get a fuzz/muff pedal or something.
THE RIPPER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GHOAT wrote:

Anyway, distortion pedals are dumb - it kills the sound of the amp. But if you have a shitty amp, I guess it is ok haha.

Exclamation
seraphackh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You missed my point, I need some overdrive or effect to make that "analog tape distortion/compression".

No I didn't, but any recording that distorts because of high peak clipping is quite useless and far from any useable sound in my opinion. Rolling Eyes
Mikael

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE RIPPER wrote:
You have a JCM 800 put a mic in front of a low budget quad turn it to 10 and learn how they really sound. if you need it more broken get a fuzz/muff pedal or something.
The sound he's using is not something you can really get right from micing the amp itself, of course you can mic the amp with a mic (SM58 maybe), but you'd still need to put an extra distortion after that to get the sound harsh enough. Personally I would record the amp and then use a distorting pluging on computer to make it really harsh, but as you're only using tracker, maybe mic the amp, then run that signal to distortion pedal and to the tracker?
Valgrinder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael wrote:
THE RIPPER wrote:
The sound he's using is not something you can really get right from micing the amp itself, of course you can mic the amp with a mic (SM58 maybe), but you'd still need to put an extra distortion after that to get the sound harsh enough. Personally I would record the amp and then use a distorting pluging on computer to make it really harsh, but as you're only using tracker, maybe mic the amp, then run that signal to distortion pedal and to the tracker?

Yes. Problem with micing the amp is that when I found right settings and distortion, they sound great then, but when guitars are doubled, bass and drums are added, that "fucking awesome sounding tone" now sounds so generic and lame. Not especially bad, but just so mediocore. I dont want tone that is on every worthless extreme-metal recording.

But when using smaller amps or ghettoblasters, I can use them with maximum volume and get more of them. And that over-the-top boost is more what I'm looking.

So I could really use some effect or plug-in to boost already done sound. But when using tracker, plug-ins are out of question. But when I find that effect I'm looking for, I can try to loop already recorded track to another track or record through it. Maybe I should try those fuzz/muff pedals?

Its hard to explain and I know that every guitar hero or professional sound engineer is laughing and thinking "you cant do that, that doesent sound good or natural". But for me dirt, DIY mentality and feeling is more important than professional sound. Maybe I should build my own diesel-harp....
Mikael

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, that in few of my (unreleased) recordings, I've hit distortion to the main channel. Of course it distorts everything, but sometimes it has given awesome harsh sound to the whole recording. It's not that orthodox-method to add that into mastering-channel, but sometimes if works great, of course it can also fuck up everything...
seraphackh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes. Problem with micing the amp is that when I found right settings and distortion, they sound great then, but when guitars are doubled, bass and drums are added, that "fucking awesome sounding tone" now sounds so generic and lame. Not especially bad, but just so mediocore.

Then it might be a good idea to make up your mind about the EQ-ing of your recording. If all the instruments pronounce the same "harsh" frequencies your recording will sound muddy. You need to give each instrument its own frequency range to get around that. At least that worked for most recordings in my humble experience ...
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE RIPPER wrote:
GHOAT wrote:

Anyway, distortion pedals are dumb - it kills the sound of the amp. But if you have a shitty amp, I guess it is ok haha.

Exclamation

I'm actually going to try this theory out the next time I practice with a drummer. I've been playing with a pedal a lot lately and having trouble cutting through the drums.
Buried In Ohio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GHOAT wrote:

I play a mid 90s RedBear 120 MK

VERY nice. I also play out of a red bear mk 120!

Last edited by Buried In Ohio on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott K

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit

Last edited by Scott K on Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
GHOAT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
THE RIPPER wrote:
GHOAT wrote:

Exclamation

@ mike and Ripper:
I'm actually going to try this theory out the next time I practice with a drummer. I've been playing with a pedal a lot lately and having trouble cutting through the drums.

A distortion pedal distorts the sound of your amp - it basically takes it over. A distortion pedal works if you have a shitty amp with a shitty sound, but I have a rad tube amp, so I do not want to impede that. My OD only boosts the sound I have.

Most distortion pedals garnered towards metal sound like a swarm of bees.

@everyone:

Go read the Harmony Central Forums for a few days and you will learn TONS. There are also tons of pompous douchebags who only buy the most expensive amps possible so they can play Clapton licks in their living rooms or write teh brootz.

@Scott:
I HATE YOU
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah, thanks for the advice.
Oh, and for the sake of the thread, my gear is as follows:

1. Gibson '84 custom shop flying v with EMG 81/85
2. A piece of shit Peavey 212.

The guitar is my favorite material possession and I will be buried with it. The amp on the other hand...I wouldn't mind burying it right now. Laughing
Scott K

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by Scott K on Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
samuxul

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you want to get more natural/analog sound out of your digital equipment DON'T make the tracks to peak. Digital peak is so horrible! You should record everything at no more than -12 - -6 dB and not even mix it too loud. Mastering is for getting the recording louder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18

Jump to: