P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Gear thread?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niko Nigdje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SH-6 and Bad Monkey should be fine with the Dual Rectifier. You might want a Mesa Oversize Recto Cabinet with that setup for death metal. A Maxon OD808 will make only a minor difference, both the Bad Monkey and the 808 are Tube Screamer variants. I'm not a fan of Bare Knuckle Pickups, some love 'em. I personally don't. You'll get a thousand different opinions on that question obviously Wink
SonOfPerdition

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonJunzt wrote:
SonOfPerdition wrote:
I wanted to ask some opinions.
I play a Hagstrom Pat Smear signature guitar (I know...) tuned to A# through a Mesa Dual Rec. (2ch.). Apart from that I use a Bad Monkey as a tubescreamer and a Boss DD-20 and EHX Holy Grail in the effects loop. I'm looking to replace the pickups in the Hagstrom and was thinking about the Seymour Duncan SH6 (Distortion) or the SH8 (Invader) or a combination of these two. The sound I am aiming for is a solid death metal sound, think Dead Congregation, Disma, Cruciamentum (I was really impressed with their live guitar sound during their latest gig in Antwerp!),... (well, you get the idea...). Any opinions or suggestions on this?

So bloody what if it is some guy's signature model? If it is a good guitar, it is a good guitar.

First off, throw out the Bad Monkey. Get something decent for the amp, try getting hold of a used Maxon overdrive.

Instead of opting for Seymour Duncan, try a Lace Deathbucker or a Bare Knuckle Warpig.

How did you tune your guitar?

Are those Maxon's that much better than a Bad Monkey? Anyhow those Maxon OD808's are very common on the secondhand market here, so I could check that out.

I'm not very familiar with the pickups you're suggesting, I'll have a look into it. Especially the Warpig sounds interesting.

The guitar is tuned in A# (so A#D#G#C#FA#).

Thanks for the suggestions!
SonOfPerdition

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niko Nigdje wrote:
You might want a Mesa Oversize Recto Cabinet with that setup for death metal.

Yeah If only they weren't that expensive... Now I play through a Marshall 1960A (so G-12T-75 speakers) which might not be ideal.
Niko Nigdje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally prefer Vintage 30s. Yes they sound far more "modern" than the G12-T75s. The Marshall cabs are fine but for that deep bottom end extension, nothing touches a Recto Oversize in my experience. Maybe the Marshall Mode Four cabs, those were significantly larger than 1960s. Some came with G12-K100s, which are a bit much too modern sounding for my taste, but they might just be what you're looking for.

A Tube Screamer is a tube screamer, no matter what brand or color it's painted in. Most differences between them are 5-6 parts, usually the input/output buffers.
VonJunzt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An oversized cab would indeed be a good choice. As for a TS9 being a TS9, well, no. There are tons of different options, each sounds different than the original. You really have to try things out until you can achieve what you want, or are a happy camper.

The Mesa Dual ought to have enough gain on tap, extra grit could be added with a Maxon SD-9, or something similar.

I use(d) a Lone Wolf Audio Iron Fist and FOAD with a low-gain vintage 1-channel Orange Matamp, both of those could also be rather interesting for your needs.

One thing you have to remember, though - the classic "European" Death Metal, or the "back to the roots" DM stuff, mainly made use of a Marshall head, with either an HM-2, or a TS9. Marshall sounds rather different from a Mesa Boogie.

The Left Hand Wrath, btw, is probably the best HM-2 style pedal on the market.

Albeit I must say I am getting somewhat sick and tired of the HM-2 sound. Personally, we've been up and down that mountain twice in the last decades.

Also don't forget the bands you mentioned are boudn to use a couple of tricks in the studio.
Nightvvolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonJunzt wrote:

One thing you have to remember, though - the classic "European" Death Metal, or the "back to the roots" DM stuff, mainly made use of a Marshall head, with either an HM-2, or a TS9. Marshall sounds rather different from a Mesa Boogie.

You can use EL-34 tubes in a Mesa to give it a more "British" sound. You can't use the Silicon Diode (HI Power) Rectifier though because those tubes will tend to blow the power fuse.

M. wrote:
Tryhard nerd shit
matthint

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started last summer. Currently in use I have the following:

- Dean Vendetta (precedessor of the current model which is actually of higher quality)
- VOX VT20+ I got pretty cheap on ebay. It's a modelling amp but it's fun for beginners as you are able to check out a lot of styles. Although I'm looking for a tube amp
- Behringer RV600 reverb
- Donner Giant Metal Pedal (which is cheap and fun)

I know it's not high end, but it serves me well as a beginner and overall costed me about 300 which is nice.
The Fallen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This, and a Ibanez TS9, Boss TU2 and a sporadic DigiTech Delay. Maybe gonna get me a Gibson V too.

Teivel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been rocking:
-Gibson LP Standard Deluxe III (I have very mixed opinions about Gibson but I love this thing)
-Some LTD beginner guitar with Seymour Duncans

-Orange CR120 Head with some piece of shit Line 6 cabinet.

-Mooer Green Mile (TS mini clone, the only pedal I really use)
-TC Electronic Flashback Delay
-Mooer Boss Chorus clone
-Dunlop Wah-wah from the late 80's

The Cr120 is a solid state but sounds pretty good. Also, you really need an overdrive otherwise it sounds pretty muddy. I can get a pretty good Sabbat-like sound out of it. I'm buying some old ass custom 4x12 from a friend so I can't wait to bury the Line 6.
dronevil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonOfPerdition wrote:
VonJunzt wrote:

Instead of opting for Seymour Duncan, try a Lace Deathbucker or a Bare Knuckle Warpig.

Are those Maxon's that much better than a Bad Monkey? Anyhow those Maxon OD808's are very common on the secondhand market here, so I could check that out.

I'm not very familiar with the pickups you're suggesting, I'll have a look into it. Especially the Warpig sounds interesting.

That's a weird suggestion - the Warpig and Deathbucker are drastically different pickups. I have all 3 versions of the Warpig and a few Deathbuckers.

Warpig: lots of lower mids and lows, dark/smooth highs, very high output.
Deathbucker: not much lower mids, tight lows, lots of hi-mid bite, bright but not harsh highs, medium output.

The Deathbucker might be more comparable to other Bareknuckle pickups like Aftermath or Impulse.

For your tuning through a Recto I'd say the Deathbucker will give you more clarity. But it requires 250k pots instead of the usual 500k pots for humbuckers.

Out of the 2 Duncans you asked I'd say the SH6 would be the better choice for Recto. If you're playing a Marshall the SH8 might be better.

I'd say the Bad Monkey is good enough. It actually has a bit more versatility from the 2-band EQ than the single tone knob you find on most Tubescreamers.
satanic ritual abuse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to build an additional pedal board. I have the following effect pedals:
Digitech Death Metal; Digitech Delay; Whammy; Meatbox Subsynth, (bass) Big Muff.

Which ORDER of said effect pedals would you prefer?

Thanks in advance.
Niko Nigdje

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

satanic ritual abuse wrote:
I'm trying to build an additional pedal board. I have the following effect pedals:
Digitech Death Metal; Digitech Delay; Whammy; Meatbox Subsynth, (bass) Big Muff.

Which ORDER of said effect pedals would you prefer?

Thanks in advance.

Does your amp have an FX loop?

If not, try and see what you like. I'd put the Whammy first in any case since it's a digital pitch shifter and it's tracking depends on the input signal. I suppose the Meatbox would drive it all sorts of insane.

If yes the Delay would certainly go into the loop, but the Whammy & Meatbox would go in front of the amp, ditto the dirt pedals (the big muff and death metal).

I'd try and see whether the Big Muff stacks better with the Death Metal before or after, but my guess would be the Big Muff goes before the Death Metal.
satanic ritual abuse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, that's pretty much the information I gathered from googling so far.

My amp has an FX loop, so I'll try that for the delay.

The effect chain now is: Whammy -> DT Death Metal -> Meatbox -> Big Muff (with mixed in 'dry' channel).

Right now I put the delay after the Whammy and that's probably a bad idea. Wink
Niko Nigdje

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily. There's no wrong or right either way. Don't be afraid to experiment, but some machines (like the Whammy) are particularly sensitive to the incoming signal. I personally think Delay before Distortion/Fuzz is a very bad idea for Metal of any clarity, but sometimes you don't want clarity, so...
Coscartac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Digitech Delay in front, before my distortion pedal and it sounds better to my ears than any other combination I've tried. But I don't have the level up that high so....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 40 of 41

Jump to: