P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Gear thread?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ough

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our bass player has a white Ironbird and IDK shit really about gear but that thing sure is pretty (and sounds great)
necrodan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotus left handed bass

Pevey TNT 100

Pedels Boss Metal Zone and Boss Super Overdrive.
Travis N.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
I bought a Cathedral finally one popped up on Craigslist for a reasonable price.

I've had one for years now and I still hate it on guitar. I can never get it to sound quite how I want it. It sounds really great on synths though.
SonOfPerdition

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíve got this EHX LPB-1 boost pedal and I donít know where to place itÖ Iíd like to use it to boost the volume when I play leads, not push the amp. So I thought of placing it at the end of the pedal chain in the effects loop. Thing is, the moment I switch it on, I get a huge volume drop. Anyone have a clue what the problem could be here?

My setup looks like this:

Guitar -> Korg Pitch Black -> Digitech Bad Monkey -> Mesa Dual rec.

FX Send -> TC Electronic Pipeline -> Volume pedal -> EHX Memory Man -> Boss DD-20 -> EHX Holy Grail Plus -> EHX LPB-1 -> FX Return
holy ghost

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert with fx loops but I believe theyíre more for modulations and time based effects like delays because itís inserted after the preamp and before the power amp section - so with an LPB itís not balanced the same way? Like youíre taking a signal that been boosted by the pre amp and then introducing a drive like circuit, IIRC you arenít supposed to put distortions or overdrive pedals in the loop at risk of potentially damaging your amplifier.

I could be wrong, but thatís my two cents....
SonOfPerdition

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight! I did some online research before I tried it and putting the boost pedal in the FX-loop turns out to be the only way to raise the overall volume without affecting tone (which makes total sense). Putting it in front of the amp is not an option, this would just add more clipping/distortion. I don't think a clean boost is able to do much damage to the power section of an amp when put in the FX-loop (but I could be wrong too, I'm not much of an expert either). But for some reason it doesn't work in my set-up and I can't seem to figure out why.
Norseman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be as simple as a level mismatch (instrument vs line level)?:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line-level-vs-instrument-level-efx-in-amp-efx-loop.398694/
Ough

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking to buy a vocal pedal/processor that's easy to use for live gigs. The main functionality I need is to be able to easily switch from no effects to reverb or to delay and then back again. Any suggestions ?
holy ghost

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norseman wrote:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line-level-vs-instrument-level-efx-in-amp-efx-loop.398694/

Thatís sort of what I was getting at as well - I would troubleshoot the usual shit (ie is the result still the same if the LPB was between the guitar and the amp, are you powering it properly) or it could be some skronky shit like thereís a built in limiter in the loop - but then you mentioned a volume pedal in the loop as well so who knows. I used to have a JCM900 when I was playing guitar more than bass and I recall I never used the loop because it was very finicky.

Iíd try a different clean boost in the loop and if the result is the same itís the amp and if not maybe itís the LPB. EHX is not exactly known for its quality builds!!
SonOfPerdition

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norseman wrote:

This might as well be the problem, if I'm not mistaken the FX-loop on my amp is line level. Thanks!
Norseman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all amp loops are typically line level, though except for volume effects this is not any danger to pedals or the amp as far as know, but may make the pedal clip, effectively stealing your volume. Neither is a boost in the loop dangerous to the amp, the power tubes will just clip if the signal is amplified beyond the power sections natural headroom. Adding a volume pedal to the loop is a well known trick that can be a cheap alternative to attenuators for playing at home. Loops can indeed be very finicky and capricious as holy ghost mention, so its hard to give general advice. Trial and error works best in my experience. I'd probably try an EQ pedal as an alternative to a boost in the loop. Push those cutting frequencies for the leads. Might work. Might not.

There are some pedals that also allow line level input, such as some Free the Tone pedals (their reverb being especially great in that setting), the TC electronic Toneprint pedals and some Eventides. FtT allows you to switch level, while I think the TC ones just has plenty of headroom to handle the extra signal level.
KS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ough wrote:
Looking to buy a vocal pedal/processor that's easy to use for live gigs. The main functionality I need is to be able to easily switch from no effects to reverb or to delay and then back again. Any suggestions ?

tc helicon range-although the range is a little tame for my tastes as they are aimed at mainstream vocalists,not barbarians.
The digitech vocalist range is a lot of bang for the buck as well.You should be able to pick up one of those purple rp series looking things for next to nothing.
Or maybe just a small mixer than you can drop a guitar pedal in as an insert?
candlesmoke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
candlesmoke wrote:
Can anyone recommend any other decent-sounding combos for home use?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head.htm
+
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112vintage.htm

Any good delay, reverb pedals to go with those?
KS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonOfPerdition wrote:
Norseman wrote:

This might as well be the problem, if I'm not mistaken the FX-loop on my amp is line level. Thanks!

it should work but the problem with mesa is they usually have parallel loops,not series like marshall etc.so you are getting some of the original signal blended in with your loop.All the mesa's ive owned could never be run 100% wet.
Norseman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Jet City looks good, and I was considering it for some time, but with the release of the latest Marshall DSL series, i opted for this one instead:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/marshall_dsl20hr.htm?ref=search_prv_19

Built in reverb. A really quiet, really good fx-loop, and the option to run on a 10w level instead of 20w to keep it more quiet for home use. Sounds really good to me, only downside is that there is little overlap between the classic and the ultra channel. Classic is almost squeaky clean even with full gain, while the amount of gain on the Ultra Gain channel is insane and excessive. Sounds much better to me either on a low (9-11 ish) gain level, or with a TS boosting the classic channel into crunchy territory. But amazing amp really. Apparently less shrill than the older gen of DSL's, and I find it can do a fair approximation of anything Marshall from the 70s through the 2000's.

But yeah, cant argue with that HB V30 cabinet. That price is just crazy low. Like the speaker element by itself. And I support going for a small head and a cab over a combo 100%. Then you can much more easily try a few different heads.

As for pedals, my go to for reverb is the Free the Tone Ambispace, and for delay the Strymon El Capistan tape delay, as they both work great in the loop. If those are on the costly side, I'd look into the TC electronic ones (Flashback and Hall of Fame) who also work great both in and outside the loop and are very flexible with downloadable sounds. The cheapest (but least fun) alternative is no pedals. Since the Marshall has a built in reverb (albeit extremely discreet), I more often than not, this is how I use it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 44 of 46

Jump to: