P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Gear thread?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Candlemass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Gear thread? Reply with quote

I have no idea how such a thread would be received here, but in other forums focused on other music of interest for me (noise, etc), people like to discuss about "gear" of every kind: amps, analog pedal effects/digital multifx and the advantages and disadvantages of analog vs digital sound, samplers, guitars, bass, synths, drums, recording environment, state of mind while recording, etc... every single thing that affects your sound.

I was wondering if there would be such interest in "music gear" in this board, seeing as there are a lot of musicians here and with very wide musical tastes.

For example I love the old school swedish death metal sound. I tried shitloads of different distortion pedals for a year or two, like the DOD and Digitech Death Metal pedals (both of which are AMAZING, but not quite good for old swedeath sound), the Big Muff, Boss DS-1, the ok, but not quite Metal Zone, and the shitty Hyper Metal, the Behringer cheap clones, and some other borrowed boutique pedals, and I got nowhere. A week later I somehow came across a short video on Youtube by the guy who wrote that Swedish Death Metal book (can't remember his name atm), explaining "how to get swedish death metal sound", and all the science behind that "fat" sound was to get one of those vintage Boss HM-2 pedals and turn all the knobs to the max. Doh! He also said something about the guitar, which had to be of some big brand and shit, but I found out it was bullshit, at least to my ears, because all I have (regarding guitar gear) is a shitty and cheap Epiphone with a shitty 50W Yamaha amp, and the sound I got from those plus the HM-2 I got from ebay for $50 was just like the one from "Clandestine" by Entombed.

Now I'd really like to know which digital synth did Emperor use on "In the Nightside Eclipse" and if the first 2 Grave albums are THAT downtuned or if they used some octaver effect in the pedal chain, in order to get that FAT as your mother in law's ass, sound.
Candlemass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess not. Please delete this thread. Thanks.
adrian5118

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope pitch correction wasn't used on Into the Grave!
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=840646#840646
GHOAT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, so you get all butt-hurt and want the thread deleted after 40 mins cause no one posted?

Anyway, distortion pedals are dumb - it kills the sound of the amp. But if you have a shitty amp, I guess it is ok haha.

Gear wise, I guess I will start:

I play a mid 90s RedBear 120 MK into a late 90s Crate Blue Voodoo cab. My cab is kinda crappy, but I have had it for over 10 years, and it has been dropped, knocked over, rained on, beer spilled on/in it, etc... and the Celestions are still kicking. I use an overdrive pedal in front to boost my gain some (NOT a distortion pedal); it helps with the bite of the pinch harmonics.

My main guitar is a cheap BC Rich Mockingbird that I have strung upside down because I am left handed. I desperately want an Exotic Classic Mockingbird, which is made lefty, but I have yet to come across a label that wants to buy me one, haha. I also have a old Epiphone Les Paul (Lefty).
adrian5118

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a shitty low-end Ironbird. Yay 25 watt amps that aren't even the same brand.

Really trying to find a 90's one with a tremolo!
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=840646#840646
Valgrinder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been thinking of changing my cassette 4-tracker to digital 8-tracker. But now I will miss that analog distortion that comes when I recorded guitars. Know that distortion what comes from the tape when guitars are peaking on red, it sounds like something been broken in a good way? With digital equipment peaking sounds like electric fuzzing or something like that.

And no, I dont want to mic my guitars, I prefer line-in method. With mics I only get so weak sound, even if I use small ghettoblasters (with broken speakers) instead real guitar amps. Guitar amps only gives natural and correct sound.

Any good tips?
Minesweeper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as vocals are concerned I use Behringer DSP2024P effects processor for that necro old south american style death reverb and a Sennheiser e835 mic.Both have never let me down,I use them in all of Lustration's live shows as well as recorded our demo and 7" with them.
Piotr Sargnagel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a lovely little VOX Pathfinder 22W practice amp with a shitty Vintage guitar (no idea what model). My drummer lives in an application called Fruity Loops Laughing and I record into Sony ACID, master in Soundforge. This is just a hobby though, nothing serious.
BENEDICTINE PALPITATIONS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peavey 5150 with a tweaked bias and JJ tubes.

5150 cab.

Washburn A-20 with EMG 81 and 85.

Plugged straight in.

Simple and effective.
THE RIPPER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valgrinder wrote:
Been thinking of changing my cassette 4-tracker to digital 8-tracker. But now I will miss that analog distortion that comes when I recorded guitars. Know that distortion what comes from the tape when guitars are peaking on red, it sounds like something been broken in a good way? With digital equipment peaking sounds like electric fuzzing or something like that.

Any good tips?

Digital peaking fukn sucks, you can really push Analogue hence why the 70/80's heavy metal sound was so great!.
seraphackh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

And no, I dont want to mic my guitars, I prefer line-in method. With mics I only get so weak sound, even if I use small ghettoblasters (with broken speakers) instead real guitar amps. Guitar amps only gives natural and correct sound.

Any good tips?

Get some decent equipment. There are pedals to overdrive your guitar, you know?! Wink
Werwolf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
probert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GHOAT wrote:
Anyway, distortion pedals are dumb - it kills the sound of the amp. But if you have a shitty amp, I guess it is ok haha.

Shitty amp + shitty distortion pedal = win.
Valgrinder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seraphackh wrote:
Quote:

Any good tips?

Get some decent equipment. There are pedals to overdrive your guitar, you know?! Wink

O'rly!?

You missed my point, I need some overdrive or effect to make that "analog tape distortion/compression".

I have about five or six effect pedals and Marshall JMC 800 amp, but problem is that I dont need "good and natural hi-fi" sound. I need to break that standard distortion to sound like your eardrums were broken, but its still so warm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: