P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Kvlting in Prague

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
candlesmoke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Kvlting in Prague Reply with quote

Going there for a week in August. Any recommendations for sights, bars, record stores, etc.? The plan might include a car rental, so if there is anything of interest near Prague, we might visit it as well. Apart from a grindcore fest, not much seems to be happening at that time (around 26th), so any advice is welcome.
chich666

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sedlec Bone Ossary in Kutna Hora has so much 'kvlting' potential you will absolutely fall to you knees due to the intensity!!!

But jokes aside it is a must see European place of interest and an easy half day round trip from Prague.

https://sedlecossuary.com/

spectrum magazine archive:
http://spectrummagarchive.wordpress.com/
PeterVenkman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hells bells bar is crap but mandatory really, it's the venue that ripped off anvil and is featured in their film.
I have not been to Prague in sometime but the only record store I found was in a small courtyard off one of the main. Walkways to the old town square, it has a wicked bar opposite and a tattoo shop next door, a perfectly pleasant place to while away a couple of hours over some top notch Pilsner.
klamerin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few medieval taverns in Prague, but the only one that really has a great atmosphere is the "U krále Brabantského" - it's really amazing, the staff is great (there is also a medieval show). If you go - the underground floor is fantastic - the whole ceiling is covered with skulls, and the place really looks old (the tavern is supposedly active since 1375).
Humus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're hoping to find some old Monitor records deadstock forget it. I've been there multiple times since 2007 and never found any decent records. I was there in the (early) 90's a few times with my parents but back then I was too young.

Things to do outside of Prague:
- Theresienstadt is the old concentration camp.
- Konopiste is a castle outside of Prague where they filmed some scenes for the film 'The illusionist'. They have an impressive collection of antlers and medieval armoury, you can visit with a guide. Last time we took the tour in Czech because we missed the last tour in English. Much fun. There used to be bears in the moat in the early 90's.
- Kutna hora. Tip: strike the Törr pose underneath the bone chandelier to prove your thorough knowledge of obscure European metal.
-Aquapalace Prague. The biggest (?) swimming pool in Central Europe. Because everyone likes a water slide.

General Prague tip:
Where there are tourists the prices can be relativly high. If you want to eat or drink, just go someplace where the locals go and you will pay 1/3 of the tourist price. Most of the time it's only a 2 minute walk from the tourist part to the non-tourist part. Go outside of Prague and prices will be even cheaper.
sydo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the "U krale Brabantskeho" tavern unless you are really fond of circus. This is the pub you want to see: http://www.uvoka.cz/ Great beer, quick service, sometimes there is a concert outside. Legendary pub for locals so no tourist crowds.

The ossuary that was recommended is mandatory.

If you want to enjou old Prague atmosphere without fighting through crowds - go to Novy Svet (New World).
http://www.prahaneznama.cz/praha-1/hradcany/novy-svet/ (In Czech, sorry, but there's a map to guide you where it is).
call_from_stars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been living here for years and still havent come close to visiting all kvlt sites..

DON'T: being a stupid tourist doing tourist shit
DO: Olšanské hřbitovy, Bohnický hřbitov, Palác Lucerna café, southern gardens of the Prague castle + walk around + St. Norbert brewery (at Strahovský klášter - the best brewery in Prague), U Pinkasů (the beer garden, not inside), Žufánek St. Antoine absinth (only real absinth is real)
candlesmoke

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good.
hammertime

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

call_from_stars wrote:
Olšanské hřbitovy

seconded...our hotel was right across the street and I enjoyed roaming the grounds. There's a good restaurant nearby too, U tri prasatek...locals can tell me if it's tourist BS or not but I thought it was great.
call_from_stars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammertime wrote:
call_from_stars wrote:
Olšanské hřbitovy

seconded...our hotel was right across the street and I enjoyed roaming the grounds. There's a good restaurant nearby too, U tri prasatek...locals can tell me if it's tourist BS or not but I thought it was great.

there are thousands of restaurants like this in Prague, not worth mentioning..

places to get the best Pilsner Urquell: Lokál, Jelínkova plzeňská pivnice, U Pinkasů, U zlatého tygra

best multi-tap pubs: Zlý časy (the best, over 50 beers on tap and hundrerds in bottles; off centre), Kulový blesk (more centre-ish, smaller selection), tons of others but these two reign supreme. can't go wrong with Matuška, Falkon, Břevnoský Benedict or Bad Flash brews

Absinth: do the Absintheria in Jilská street, demand french style dry ice fountain

avoid obvious tourist traps, just don't be retarded
AncientSlumber

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great city! Just came back from a four day trip. Didn't look very hard, but I didn't come across anything Metal-related other than the 'Rebel' TV channel.
Must-see if you like to cringe at videos exclusively from the roster of Nuclear Blast, Napalm and all other shitty labels. Laughing
altblood

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will never go wrong with Kulový blesk - good selection of beers from local breweries such as Pivovar Matuška which is my personal favourite Czech brewery.
Inverto Crosso

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a walk in Větkov Hill and visit Military Museum (free entry). Kain club is located nearby, have some beers and if you feel adventurous enough, go and try to find Error pub, a ramshackle metal bar/basement somewhere behind the locked gates...
When in Kutná Hora, visit that St Barbora gothic cathedral as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: