P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

MP3 patents have expired...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HotBlack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: MP3 patents have expired... Reply with quote

Now all your FOSS will have the codecs baked right in! Woot Woot

get yours for Foobar now

http://www.foobar2000.org/encoderpack
Werewolf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who downloads mp3 in 2017, when everything can be streamed? Laughing

Regressive Muerta Metal: https://sadistikus.bandcamp.com/album/desekrehearsal-march-21-2015
siax2.0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:

Shocked certainly a lot less downloads than I used to, but I don't stream anything. Most music I listen to on the road / in the train and therefore I like to have mp3 on my SD card.
CR99

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:

Everybody with a bandwidth cap.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CR99 wrote:
Werewolf wrote:

Not quite. The larger music industry (radio rock and pop) started throwing out and selling less physical copies, now if that industry is no longer moving mp3 files it must be simply streaming sales?

The only people collecting mp3 files are the same crazy maniacs who also are buying vinyl, cassette tapes, and cd's still too ...often of the exact same album, cause the devil only knows why a person needs it all. ...so that basically means like what, most of this forum and those of like minds that dwell here. Twisted Evil
SlevinKelevra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:

Why stream when a 256gb microsd card can be had for $60 ?

My Last.FM
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlevinKelevra wrote:
Werewolf wrote:

This is one again the mentality of the 'collector' ...the same mind set behind having to buy physical copies of albums. Mp3 is just another branch of owning something tangible in hand... although not as consuming as seeking numerous vinyl or cd copies of everything. ...but the idea of having all those mp3 files forever is the same concept as the person who buys a vinyl or cd copy.
SlevinKelevra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
SlevinKelevra wrote:
Werewolf wrote:

This is one again the mentality of the 'collector' ...the same mind set behind having to buy physical copies of albums. Mp3 is just another branch of owning something tangible in hand... although not as consuming as seeking numerous vinyl or cd copies of everything. ...but the idea of having all those mp3 files forever is the same concept as the person who buys a vinyl or cd copy.

Well I meant for stuff I own on cd or vinyl anyways. Can't count how much stuff I have in 3 forms ...

My Last.FM
CR99

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
CR99 wrote:
Werewolf wrote:

Not quite. The larger music industry (radio rock and pop) started throwing out and selling less physical copies, now if that industry is no longer moving mp3 files it must be simply streaming sales?

The only people collecting mp3 files are the same crazy maniacs who also are buying vinyl, cassette tapes, and cd's still too ...often of the exact same album, cause the devil only knows why a person needs it all. ...so that basically means like what, most of this forum and those of like minds that dwell here. Twisted Evil

I don't know what the hell you're on about. I'm not downloading the same shit over and over again, because that's what streaming essentially is.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CR99 wrote:
Demoniarch wrote:
CR99 wrote:
Werewolf wrote:

I don't know what the hell you're on about. I'm not downloading the same shit over and over again, because that's what streaming essentially is.

Wink
Who said anything about downloading the same thing over again?
I made comparisons to mp3 collecting being similar to the mentality of those buying other formats (sometimes the same album spread across several colors or formats ...cd, vinyl ... tape) ...and nothing was addressed to you personally, it's all on topic of the mp3 subject and how the format is probably only important to a small niche like album collectors here, and not to the larger more popular music industry base ...who would be fine with just streaming.
Evilman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:

N.O.P.E.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlevinKelevra wrote:
Demoniarch wrote:
SlevinKelevra wrote:
Werewolf wrote:

Well I meant for stuff I own on cd or vinyl anyways. Can't count how much stuff I have in 3 forms ...

For people that like to own music, or some copy of it yes... that data storage device is a nice thing to have, but that's the point... it is only people like us (people on this forum) ...who are a minority in the vast realm of music consumerism really ...are the only ones into buying and owning the physical products. ...this is why the storage device or mp3 files are becoming themselves less relevant.

Streaming for the masses is enough. They for the most part are only into what the current market tells them is the 'new' thing, streaming that is enough... yesterdays hit for most of them is long forgotten already, so why would the need to 'own' or keep or store such a file be required?
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't stream, if I want to hear something on the go I find a 320 of it. I haven't really kept up with new technology so I have a laptop and a backup external hard drive. Although if I lost everything I'd probably be able to download everything in a day as opposed to 15 years ago when I "ripped" "CDs" to my "Mac G3 tower" one at a time then put them on an "iPod" and used a "landline".
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
I don't stream, if I want to hear something on the go I find a 320 of it. I haven't really kept up with new technology so I have a laptop and a backup external hard drive. Although if I lost everything I'd probably be able to download everything in a day as opposed to 15 years ago when I "ripped" "CDs" to my "Mac G3 tower" one at a time then put them on an "iPod" and used a "landline".

Laughing ...fuuuuuuuuuck, you did mp3 file 'land line' downloading too? haha
I used to do that... at the time I had a job with 6 day off stretches, but they were always calling for OT shifts, my phone line would be busy for three days straight downloading a couple songs. Laughing
urall

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still using my 80GB ipod classic + soulseek to download (or bandcamp when i buy smth).

try streaming with bandwith caps
outside your own country without wifi
on a shitty commute train route with no mobile coverage at all
etc etc..

mp3's are also way easier to tag what in which way you want to have specific playlists, shuffles, etc...

my 2 cents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: