P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

IFPI variations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frozen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: IFPI variations Reply with quote

This is a question for the CD collectors. It's easy enough to identify a first pressing if it came out without an IFPI code, but most releases after '94 have several IFPI variations. Is there a way determine, which one is the first pressing?

Here's V Empire as an example:

Barcode (Text): 7 27361 68502 7
Barcode (Scanned, UPC A): 727361685027
Matrix / Runout: MADE IN U.K. BY PDO NIHIL6CD 10401931 01 &
Mastering SID Code: IFPI L134
Mould SID Code (Variant 1): IFPI 0451
Mould SID Code (Variant 2): IFPI 0459
Mould SID Code (Variant 3): IFPI 0460
Mould SID Code (Variant 4): IFPI 0435
Mould SID Code (Variant 5): IFPI 0494
Mould SID Code (Variant 6): IFPI 0446

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Federation_of_the_Phonographic_Industry
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this:
http://pinkfloydarchives.com/IFPI.htm

Looks like IFPI is not the best way to determine the date, but the pressing plant.
Frozen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. It might be impossible to determine which one is the first pressing then. I have two versions of V Empire. One of them looks a little lighter in colour and the text on the back is slightly blurred. However, everything else is exactly the same as the other. It has the IFPI variation 1, while the other sharper print has variation 2.
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have two and the other one has darker colours, IFPI 0494. It has "Distributed in Germany by Nuclear Blast" on the back. The lighter colours one has IFPI 0486 and no mention of Nuclear Blast, just the Cacophonous logo with "Distributed in the U.K. by Draconis". Both were UK presses, but it seemed to be a common practice to make specific covers for different distributors (logos, addresses etc.). Matrix in both is the same, and both also include "Made in the U.K. by PMDC". Nothing seems to reveal dates, which is confusing sometimes.
peopleface

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking this exact thing up a few minutes ago, what a coincidence. From what I've read the different variants for the Mould SID Codes can mean many things like different pressing plant, different pressing machine used, etc. Only the first two letters or numbers on this IFPI really matter as each plant/pressing chooses the other character randomly. Key example of one now is latest Goatmoon where my pressing is obviously not a bootleg but does have a different Mould SID Code than the one listed on discogs probably indicating another machine was used at the same plant. As far as "first pressings" go it is hard to tell if the variants would differentiate between what could be considered first or not. How can one tell which variant really came first if the following characters are chosen at random? I think all one can really go by is date/pressing plant for that.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm def no expert.
Too Dark Park

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: