P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ars_notoria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Whisperer in Darkness" is by far my favorite Lovecraft story. The H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society is also making an independent movie version of the work.
SlurpeeJunkieCraig

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first and most influential horror/sci-fi writers I was introduced to at a young age.
ascha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodens Grav wrote:
I've also never fully understood the overabundant criticism of Lovecraft stylistically as a writer. Rarely does he stumble over his own feet, and his style and mannerisms perfectly encapsulate the atmosphere that is necessary to conjure the specific emotions in his stories.

http://writebadlywell.blogspot.com/2010/05/non-contiguous-homage-fortnight-8-try.html

Good buyers:
eric696
hate is the law

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you look online there are websites that compile all (or most) of the stories he wrote, at least the bigger ones. he's a completely influential writer and his stories grasp an atmosphere that few others do. his pantheon is probably my favorite of any sort of mythologic background.

at the mountains of madness
call of the cthulu
dunwich horror
from beyond

theres so many.

i wish film makers could some how capture his words in not a lame way like pretty much every fucking movie that they have made. the only ones that were any good were re animator and from beyond.
CultofDagon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodens Grav wrote:
I'm not abundantly familiar with Michel Houellebecq or his work, but I'm certain that he is not the eminent Lovecraft scholar that S.T. Joshi is.

Maybe but Houellebecq is also a good author. Sleazy but he walks the walk. Elementary Particles is worth a read.
Speerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Lord wrote:
BreedingtheSpawn wrote:
What is the best HP Lovecraft book to start with?

'The Call of Cthulu and Other Weird Stories' (Penguin books) was the first book I read by Lovecraft. Has some classic tales inside including the hideous 'Nyarlathotep' which is cult as fuck! Killer notes by ST Joshi too. Cannot recommend it enough.

Agreed. The best place to start.
DTBRex

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worship Lovecraft.

It's rather odd that you can not find any high budget movie adaption of any of his stories, though. Confused At the Mountains of Madness, for instance. Why can't there be a decent movie adaption? Lovecrafts' stories demand to be screened in 16:9 and dolby digital, I'd say. Smile
dalecooper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guillermo del Toro is working on "Mountains of Madness," and it's rumored to be well past the point of hypothetical now (though not yet filming, either). James Cameron is backing it, I heard. So you may get your wish.
geist_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameron, 3d and a HUGE budget funded by disney is also on board. god, I hope there no blonde womens with big tits in this movie, there is so much stuff that would ruin mountains of madness
dare you hollywood...
DTBRex

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalecooper wrote:
Guillermo del Toro is working on "Mountains of Madness," and it's rumored to be well past the point of hypothetical now (though not yet filming, either). James Cameron is backing it, I heard. So you may get your wish.

For as long as they don't violate the original story, it can only be worthwhile to watch. Thanx for letting me know. Smile
Claythanas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading Erich Zann for the first time and it really tripped me out. I don't remember being so excited while reading a story before that. It all clicked form then on.
dalecooper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTBRex wrote:
dalecooper wrote:

For as long as they don't violate the original story, it can only be worthwhile to watch. Thanx for letting me know. Smile

More info here. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/12/guillermo-del-toro-james-cameron-mountains-madness-movie.html

I think it sounds promising, and if any semi-mainstream director is suited to the material, it's probably del Toro. This has apparently been a labor of love for him for many years.
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michel Houellebecq's book (its really just a long essay) is actually quite good. its more of a psychological analysis than a literary critisism, but its worth tracking down.

Ligotti is one of my favorite writers, I have everything he's published except "Conspiracy against the human race". I'd go so far as to say that he's the best living horror author (neck and neck between him and Ramsay Campbell though). I speculate that while his paranoid and anxious style is really appealing to me personally its not for everyone and that a lot of people who might go into it expecting tentacles and whatnot will be disappointed.
xyosefx

Location: We lived among the people. I think you say, convenience store. We lived above it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HPL has been one of my favorite authors for 20 years now. His Great Old Ones and Elder Gods (especially Yog Sothoth & Nyarlathotep) are some of the greatest creations in the history of fantastic literature. His "dream cycle" stories (the "Silver Key" tales, "Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath", etc.) are also quite original and profound, although not terror-inducing the way "The Rats in the Walls" or "Dreams in the Witch-House" may be.

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Pestkrieg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovecraft is boring shit for basement World of Warcraft nerds, however I do appreciate the influence he had on a load of bands I like.

Houellebecq is infinitely superior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: