P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Wraith



Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 2524

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:
Has anyone read this book? Which edition is best?


Great, great book, mandatory for every Lovecraft worshipper. I have read the German translation, it's the best analytic biography about Lovecraft!

And indeed there was a good Lovecraftian movie: The Thing. Basically, modern horror IS Lovecraft. Everything refers to him. Period.

Edit: No one mentioned this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHuY2wXTd0o

cochino wrote:
. It's pretty funny to see bands like Unaussprechlichen Kulten taking his writings seriously and I even remember reading an interview (I think it was with another band, although it could've been UK) where the guy from the band said that the Necronomicon was real, which is something many people still believe, as silly as that seems.


Fucking idiots.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cochino



Joined: 08 May 2010
Posts: 553

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTBRex wrote:
I worship Lovecraft.

It's rather odd that you can not find any high budget movie adaption of any of his stories, though. Confused At the Mountains of Madness, for instance. Why can't there be a decent movie adaption? Lovecrafts' stories demand to be screened in 16:9 and dolby digital, I'd say. Smile

I don't find it odd at all. No women, no sexual tension, almost no "action". Lots of plot elements and twists have to do with finding new books/letters/diaries with new information. Unhappy endings. No sequel potential. They're period pieces and some of them really depend on the historical context to make sense. All that makes a good film adaptation very tough, not to mention hardly marketable for Hollywood. Hopefully Del Toro can use his name as a box office guarantee and keep it faithful to the book, as he promised he would do. I think that the best way to go with movies is doing things inspired by the atmosphere and maybe the characters and locations of Lovecraft, but not directly on his work. Kinda like Carpenter did with The Thing and In The Mouth Of Madness (and perhaps a little in Prince Of Darkness as well).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Voodoo Idol



Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 671

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heirophant.326.AV wrote:
Michel Houellebecq's book (its really just a long essay) is actually quite good. its more of a psychological analysis than a literary critisism, but its worth tracking down.

Ligotti is one of my favorite writers, I have everything he's published except "Conspiracy against the human race". I'd go so far as to say that he's the best living horror author (neck and neck between him and Ramsay Campbell though). I speculate that while his paranoid and anxious style is really appealing to me personally its not for everyone and that a lot of people who might go into it expecting tentacles and whatnot will be disappointed.


I was introduced to Ligotti in some cheesy compilation book that featured 'The Nightmare Network'. Insane story, talk about sticking out like a sore thumb.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dysnomia



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 313
Location: Greater Seattle, Cascadia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heirophant.326.AV wrote:
Michel Houellebecq's book (its really just a long essay) is actually quite good. its more of a psychological analysis than a literary critisism, but its worth tracking down.

Ligotti is one of my favorite writers, I have everything he's published except "Conspiracy against the human race". I'd go so far as to say that he's the best living horror author (neck and neck between him and Ramsay Campbell though). I speculate that while his paranoid and anxious style is really appealing to me personally its not for everyone and that a lot of people who might go into it expecting tentacles and whatnot will be disappointed.


YES! Ligotti is the best writer in horror today. I have many of his works, though not all as they are quite expensive. I only have NOCTUARY, GRIMSCRIBE, SONGS OF A DEAD DREAMER, THE CONSPIRACY AGAINST THE HUMAN RACE, MY WORK IS NOT YET DONE, THE SHADOW AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WORLD, and TEATRO GROTTESCO. A reprint of THE AGONIZING RESURRECTION OF VICTOR FRANKENTSTEIN AND OTHER GOTHIC TALES is coming this Spring so I can pick that up. Do you have a copy of his Death Poems? Have you seen "The Frolic"? Any extra copies of anything you are selling? Anyway, it's hard to talk about Lovecraft without talking about Ligotti once you've read him. And I agree, he's certainly not for everyone. He is truly haunting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NCF



Joined: 24 Apr 2010
Posts: 312
Location: STHLM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm really curious now. Name one of Ligotti's books that is a good starting point. Or two.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
In Solitude



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Posts: 4040
Location: Seattle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pestkrieg wrote:
Lovecraft is boring shit for basement World of Warcraft nerds, however I do appreciate the influence he had on a load of bands I like.


This statement of extreme ignorance shows that you maybe read one or two stories with pre-judgement already in your mind.

Anyway, Lovecraft is wonderful. I highly recommend finding any of his collections of stories compiled by Penguin. There are three total.
_________________
bvr wrote:
One does not have to be a wise-ass scholar to successfully channel certain things.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dysnomia



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 313
Location: Greater Seattle, Cascadia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCF wrote:
OK, I'm really curious now. Name one of Ligotti's books that is a good starting point. Or two.


I would pick up TEATRO GROTTESCO which is a greatest hits type collection with some of his later stuff. The stories "Purity," "Gas Station Carnivals," "Sideshow and Other Stories," and "The Red Tower" are especially unsettling. This book is widely available for under $15. Most of his stuff ranges from $50 to $200. I saw a copy of THE AGONIZING RESURRECTION OF VICTOR FRANKENSTEIN for $3000 just yesterday.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dysnomia



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 313
Location: Greater Seattle, Cascadia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft appreciation thread Reply with quote

Wraith wrote:
Conservationist wrote:
Has anyone read this book? Which edition is best?




cochino wrote:
. It's pretty funny to see bands like Unaussprechlichen Kulten taking his writings seriously and I even remember reading an interview (I think it was with another band, although it could've been UK) where the guy from the band said that the Necronomicon was real, which is something many people still believe, as silly as that seems.


Fucking idiots.

There's a good book by Daniel Harms called THE NECRONOMICON FILES which traces the history of the belief in the reality of this tome. It's a great read.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NCF



Joined: 24 Apr 2010
Posts: 312
Location: STHLM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dysnomia wrote:
NCF wrote:
OK, I'm really curious now. Name one of Ligotti's books that is a good starting point. Or two.


I would pick up TEATRO GROTTESCO which is a greatest hits type collection with some of his later stuff. The stories "Purity," "Gas Station Carnivals," "Sideshow and Other Stories," and "The Red Tower" are especially unsettling. This book is widely available for under $15. Most of his stuff ranges from $50 to $200. I saw a copy of THE AGONIZING RESURRECTION OF VICTOR FRANKENSTEIN for $3000 just yesterday.


Thanks, it's ordered.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heirophant.326.AV



Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 1368
Location: inside the preserved Moose

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dysnomia wrote:
Heirophant.326.AV wrote:
Michel Houellebecq's book (its really just a long essay) is actually quite good. its more of a psychological analysis than a literary critisism, but its worth tracking down.

Ligotti is one of my favorite writers, I have everything he's published except "Conspiracy against the human race". I'd go so far as to say that he's the best living horror author (neck and neck between him and Ramsay Campbell though). I speculate that while his paranoid and anxious style is really appealing to me personally its not for everyone and that a lot of people who might go into it expecting tentacles and whatnot will be disappointed.


YES! Ligotti is the best writer in horror today. I have many of his works, though not all as they are quite expensive. I only have NOCTUARY, GRIMSCRIBE, SONGS OF A DEAD DREAMER, THE CONSPIRACY AGAINST THE HUMAN RACE, MY WORK IS NOT YET DONE, THE SHADOW AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WORLD, and TEATRO GROTTESCO. A reprint of THE AGONIZING RESURRECTION OF VICTOR FRANKENTSTEIN AND OTHER GOTHIC TALES is coming this Spring so I can pick that up. Do you have a copy of his Death Poems? Have you seen "The Frolic"? Any extra copies of anything you are selling? Anyway, it's hard to talk about Lovecraft without talking about Ligotti once you've read him. And I agree, he's certainly not for everyone. He is truly haunting.


As a minor qualification, a couple of them are pdf's as I dont have 3 grand to drop on a book haha. Legit hard copies of everything except shadow and agonizing ressurection.Took a little while to track them down, but patience will pay off if you're happy with the paperbacks. The "Thomas Ligotti reader" is worth picking up - essays, interviews and critisism of his work. The 2 volumes of the nightmare Factory graphic novels are good too. check out the album he made with Current 93 too, its intensely creepy.
_________________
"14 words: we must secure the depravation of the children and ruin the whole fucking world..."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mithrandir



Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 905

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing more to add, other than I probably play way too much Munchkin Cthulhu
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Saevus



Joined: 21 Nov 2008
Posts: 1538
Location: Nomadic in Virginia, USA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mithrandir wrote:
nothing more to add, other than I probably play way too much Munchkin Cthulhu


There's a Cthulhu expansion for that?
_________________
http://saevus.deviantart.com/ - Artwork and graphic design
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
BuKKaKeBaptisM



Joined: 07 Aug 2009
Posts: 272
Location: Brooklyn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how someone can just assume that Lovecraft influenced WoW nerds. He never wrote about goblins or orcs or any of that bullshit. A really good writer to check out is Lord Dunsany who wrote all of his books by hand, but thats just my opinion.
One of the best bands to ever be influenced by H.P. Lovecraft.

Shub Niggurath
Mother of a Thousand Young.
_________________
And you and I bitch will fuck through the sexual carnage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Saevus



Joined: 21 Nov 2008
Posts: 1538
Location: Nomadic in Virginia, USA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuKKaKeBaptisM wrote:
I like how someone can just assume that Lovecraft influenced WoW nerds. He never wrote about goblins or orcs or any of that bullshit. A really good writer to check out is Lord Dunsany who wrote all of his books by hand, but thats just my opinion.
One of the best bands to ever be influenced by H.P. Lovecraft.

Shub Niggurath
Mother of a Thousand Young.


He mostly influenced the actual Dungeons and Dragons nerds, who are actually a fairly active and prolific group of people... who actually read books.
_________________
http://saevus.deviantart.com/ - Artwork and graphic design
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
PxRxPx



Joined: 27 Apr 2009
Posts: 502
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saevus wrote:
BuKKaKeBaptisM wrote:
I like how someone can just assume that Lovecraft influenced WoW nerds. He never wrote about goblins or orcs or any of that bullshit. A really good writer to check out is Lord Dunsany who wrote all of his books by hand, but thats just my opinion.
One of the best bands to ever be influenced by H.P. Lovecraft.

Shub Niggurath
Mother of a Thousand Young.


He mostly influenced the actual Dungeons and Dragons nerds, who are actually a fairly active and prolific group of people... who actually read books.


Yeah, if you look at some of the original 1st edition monsters, like beholders and mind flayers, the influence is pretty apparent.

Parts of this book are kind of interesting, if you've read the stories several times already.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group