P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Regression the way of metal or just another word for Retro?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_Invader

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1889&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

We had the same kind of discussion there.

My thought: Play the metal that you love and that's all. Fuck off what others might think, do it for yourself, not to try to be part of a scene or a sound, may it be the so called LA scene, thrash, old school death, black metal etc.

That's the point.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the regurgitation of generic bands that lack both quality and spirit is what makes Metal fans long for the early days.

Think of the old Death Metal scene; put Bolt Thrower, Nihilist, Incantation, Autopsy, Goreaphobia and Grotesque on a mix tape and each one of them has their own unique sound, identity, and atmosphere. They all played Death Metal however each band was honest and really believed in what they were doing, that's what sets them aside from the "modern days". If you get a promo CD containing various Unique Leader death metal artists, all of them are going to sound like pretty much exactly the same; that robotic, mechanic, soulless music that is passed off as "Death Metal" today.

A band doesn't have to be 100% original for them to be worthwhile, as long as they keep that same attitude and spirit that was genuine once upon a time. That's why these "retro" bands suck, most of them are too busy trying to imitate others to have any real sense of feeling in themselves. They try to mold themselves into a certain style or sound rather than letting the style unfold naturally.

WITCHTRAP for example is nothing original at all, the first album is total DESTRUCTION worship, however those guys really believe in what they're doing, they play with passion and spirit and therefore they make a worthwhile band, something to listen to when you're not in the mood for Infernal Overkill for the 10,000th spin. Of course the classic bands and albums will always be superior, but it's refreshing to hear something good that isn't exactly the same no matter how timeless those classic albums are.

However, listen to albums like DEATHEVOKATION - The Chalice of Ages, INFINITUM OBSCURE - Internal Dark Force, THE CHASM - The Spell of Retribution and you will be able to hear direct influences from the "early days" however these bands still maintain their own distinct sound and originality as well as produce quality, memorable music without recycling the same ideas over and over.
Evil_Invader

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeadChrist wrote:
They try to mold themselves into a certain style or sound rather than letting the style unfold naturally.

That's true. I couldn't have said better.

I agree 666% on Witchtrap as well. It's nothing original but the music has a soul and that's what make them stand out from as you say ''robotic bands''.

METAL FROM THE HEART.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moslty agree with the stuff everybody said. I hate when bands try to sound like this band or that other one, and when youi realize that they're trying too hard be included into certain scene, like Zombie Ritual and their moronic fixation with zombies, and they crappy retro-death.
When I sarted my band, I didn't know exactly how it was gonna sound, we knew we wanted to do death metal, but it turned out that there was a lot of punk/hardcore included in our music, and it wasn't planned, it just happened. I think that's the best way to do a band, just let things happen. That's the only way to be "true".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: