P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 76, 77, 78  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
funeral-records

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerrTreblinka wrote:
TEKWRX wrote:
HerrTreblinka wrote:
I actually wanted to start a thread about this, but I imagined there had to be one about this. Basically I'd like a turntable that also plays tapes and CD's - there aren't many in the Romanian market, but I've seen some, like here. I'd appreciate some feedback and advice on this, thanks in advance!

Stay far away form that if you value your records. Just awful. Those combo players are nothing but plastic toys that will ruin the condition of your vinyl. The most affordable new record player is gonna cost you at least $200-300, unless you go with a used vintage table.

Thanks for the advice, the main issue for me is that I also want a tape deck. I have a panasonic at home which was a combo tape/CD since 1998 (was very good at its time, I guess it would still be decent if maintained), but it's pretty much broken and I'm not sure if It's worth reconditioning/repairing. I'm also not sure if there are any new tape decks which are made - tape has pretty much faded away rather unfortunately. To be more precise, if you were to recommend me separately[ a tape deck and a vinyl player, what would it be? Isn't there any decent combo player, a more expensive one which plays all physical formats (tape, CD, LP)?

Just keep checking local flea markets and ebay. Good used tape decks can be found super cheap. I found a nice dual deck cassette deck for $15 and with a little bit of cleaning fluids and a lot of cotton swabs I got it almost like new. Has been working for years now. Dedicated equipment will always be better than combo stuff.
K-mart

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="doomedplanet"]Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk phono pre, read a lot about that last year. Want one. Do they give a life expectancy for the battery?, that seems the weakpoint with that $800 piece.

When your Dynavector wears out, consider sending it to me I would get it retipped and use it. Used one on ebay I'm considering buying for exactly that reason.

I've had the Nighthawk for 4+ years now I get 6 weeks or so from a charge doesn't seem to be showing any signs of slowing down yet.
Did you pick up the Dynavector off of ebay?
Fork Tongue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone mess with the Fluance RT81? I dont need to be dropping or 5 bills at a time for a solid turntable so 250 for this thing doesnt seem bad.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluance-Elliptical-Counterweight-Anti-Skating-RT81/dp/B01F2EXIFM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486688087&sr=8-1&keywords=fluance+rt81+record+player
Warcrust

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt want to open a new thread for my questions, it goes mainly to European comrades:

Thinking on to buy a new turntable. My old Sony still serves well, but i am moving this or next month and i feel its time to refresh my equipments. I already checked some sites brands but some advices would be welcomed.

What I look for is a decent turntable, easily available in Hungary/Europe, in price middle class + or better, not interested in the most expensive audiophile stuff, a decent one, can be a bit pricy but not insanely. Also please write down the background to the turntable, what amps and speakers suggested to the adviced model to have the best possible combo/sound?
klamerin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing research for quite some months, as I'm about to upgrade too. So far I've only dealt with a couple of very well respected, but old (70s- 80s) models and I decided it's time to switch to a "modern" turntable.

What I've decided for me is that in its price range (around 1200 euro) the Clearaudio Concept is one of the safest choices you can make. Another bonus points would be the fact that it's widely available throughout Europe and it's a plug-and-play model, meaning that all the basics have been factory-set.

As for the combos - I've often seen it sold together with the Clearaudio Nano pre-amp for nice discounts, and that pre-amp also has rave reviews throughout.

I'm buying this next week, so I speak from internet research only, if anyone has direct experience with this model, maybe they'll give some more info.
Humus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearaudio is a good brand. I have an Emotion SE. Never listened to a Concept but I'm guessing you'll be satisfied.
Evilman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a long time since I wanted to post my setup and read some opinions about it, and what I should do with my money: if there's a benefit to upgrade my turntable or not, or just the cartridge...
I'm far from expert when it comes to turntables and only can judge my own setup and a VERY few other ones. Let's go.

Turntable: Numark TT1650
Cartridge: Numark GrooveTool
Amplifier: Sansui AU-X301i
Speakers: Sony SS-J30 B
Environment: 25m studio appartment

PS: These are links for each part.

As you can see my setup is far from the best ones out there, but I'm honestly satisfied with most of it.
I'm using these speakers since more than 15 years, linked to my computer through the amp, and I'm totally satisfied with these. Not planning to upgrade either speakers or amp, yet I know there's obviously better.

What I'm more concerned about is the turntable, and the cartridge. I bought this set second hand five years ago for really cheap. I have no specific problems with it, except a lot of static electricity on some records, not sure why and never knew how to solve this.
The cartridge is cheap as fuck but I bought it new. It's not great, but it does the job for what it worth... Had to say I couldn't afford much more at the time. Confused

Right now, I'd like to know if there would be some benefit to upgrade my turntable, or just the cartridge. What would be the best ? I really feel I could get something much better of my records, but not sure if a better cartridge or a new turntable is the best choice with the rest of my setup.

I'm ready to go up to ~300, 350 max for both the turntable and a new cartridge if needed, second-hand or vintage is not a problem if I'm not going after Excalibur. By the way, western europe here, just in case.

So, what should I do, considering my budget ? I Would be much obliged to read lines and opinions from people who knows more than me on the subject. Smile
hammertime

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently upgraded to the Pioneer PLX1000 and I absolutely love it. Got a Denon DL103 cart which is the first MC cart I've ever owned, THAT really makes a difference IMO. Give an MC cart a try if you never have before.
Evilman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someday i'll be able to afford this kind of setup... someday... Confused
urall

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilman wrote:

Right now, I'd like to know if there would be some benefit to upgrade my turntable, or just the cartridge. What would be the best ? I really feel I could get something much better of my records, but not sure if a better cartridge or a new turntable is the best choice with the rest of my setup.

as long as your turntable holds its speed, and there are no apparent issues with it, i'd go for the cartridge myself.
CamC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a good turntable setup in years and wanted to buy something secondhand off craigslist, etc. but not sure what to narrow it down to. Heard certain Denon models were good and basically any turntable with some heft to it is what to look for. Reliable brands or models recommended would be great, price range would be somewhere between $500-1000
Evilman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

urall wrote:
Evilman wrote:

as long as your turntable holds its speed, and there are no apparent issues with it, i'd go for the cartridge myself.

That's what I was aiming to do first, the TT is rather clean and as I said, no problems with it, except some unusual static electricity on the records but not sure why...

Now to find a good cart for it is another problem, not sure if something very expensive will be used at full potential considering the rest of my setup, there's so many different models available... Also, how to - easily - know which cart is compatible with your TT ? Is there any way to identify what kind of cart your TT can support ?
sydo

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have experience with Thorens TD170-1? Local independent test website did a test of cheaper turntables and this one won, but most of other reviews I found online have been quite harsh. Going to buy my first TT and the options are overwhelming...
power_hazard

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know a good replacement cartridge for Audio Technica LP120s? My needle got damaged during a move recently.
hammertime

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

power_hazard wrote:
anyone know a good replacement cartridge for Audio Technica LP120s? My needle got damaged during a move recently.

Depends on your budget, but I was happy with the Shure M97xE. The Denon DL-103 is nice too if you're into MC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 76, 77, 78  Next
Page 71 of 78

Jump to: