P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crasse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have the Audio Technica AT-LP60? How good is it?
I'm thinking on getting it or spending a bit more and going for the AT-LP120.
SlevinKelevra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crasse wrote:

if those are the only 2 options you're considering, definitely the 120. built like a tank in comparison.

---
Recent deals/trades with : Al Infierno, bearsbearsbears , jerry666, lordpazuzu, lunar stele, xyosefx . Feedback on ebay and discogs speaks loud.
Crasse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlevinKelevra wrote:
Crasse wrote:

if those are the only 2 options you're considering, definitely the 120. built like a tank in comparison.

Not the only options but the ones I have been watching. I always had the 120 in mind but just saw the 60 is sold for half the price of the 120 and thought it could do the job. It's for occasional listening.

Any recommendation within those prices is more than welcome.
patientot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crasse wrote:
SlevinKelevra wrote:
Crasse wrote:

Not the only options but the ones I have been watching. I always had the 120 in mind but just saw the 60 is sold for half the price of the 120 and thought it could do the job. It's for occasional listening.

The LP60 is straight up junk. It's okay if you're only playing dollar bin records or simply don't care about your records.

The 120 is better, but still not good. It's basically a cheaply done knockoff of a real turntable (in this case a 1200) - if you've handled both it's blatantly obvious.

Not a lot of choices in the $250ish price range. You're basically looking at things that are either junk or bundles of compromises. Depending on where in the world you live you may have more or less choices. Things like Uturns or some of the very entry level Pro-Ject models are not available in every country.

The best option on that budget is going to be a used vintage Japanese direct drive from the 70s or very early 80s. Don't get hung up on the brand, read reviews, specs, and features on vinylengine.com. Don't buy anything you can't pick up in person and test.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever just posted the 'best' turn table you can buy say at ...

$500 'the best is....'
$1000 'the best is....'

Cannot imagine anyone would need one over a grand, except those whom think they can hear dark matter behind Watain's spells etc etc
SlevinKelevra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:

$500 'the best is....'
$1000 'the best is....'

Cannot imagine anyone would need one over a grand, except those whom think they can hear dark matter behind Watain's spells etc etc

there's definitely some value in a laser turntable that doesn't physically wear your vinyls.

---
Recent deals/trades with : Al Infierno, bearsbearsbears , jerry666, lordpazuzu, lunar stele, xyosefx . Feedback on ebay and discogs speaks loud.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlevinKelevra wrote:
Demoniarch wrote:

$500 'the best is....'
$1000 'the best is....'

there's definitely some value in a laser turntable that doesn't physically wear your vinyls.

You have grand children you think might be metal heads? ...or you having some care and attention to make sure ebay and discogs still can function 40 years from now? Cool
Humus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:

$500 'the best is....'
$1000 'the best is....'

The more you pay the more you get, but the curve is an asymptotic one. At a certain point you'll need to spend considerable dollar for a marginal increase in sound quality. And...a system only sounds as good as its weakeast link.

Still, it's not useless to have a good sounding system if you're into metal. Some demo repress sourced from mp3 will always sound bad. But listen to some early pressing Iron maiden records and a better system will open your ears.
Too Dark Park

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlevinKelevra wrote:
Demoniarch wrote:

$500 'the best is....'
$1000 'the best is....'

Its called a CD player Wink
K-mart

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, it's not useless to have a good sounding system if you're into metal. Some demo repress sourced from mp3 will always sound bad. But listen to some early pressing Iron maiden records and a better system will open your ears.[/quote]

This!
lemegethon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crasse wrote:
SlevinKelevra wrote:
Crasse wrote:

The anti-skate is broken on almost all Audio Technica LP-120s. Don't get it.
Crasse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I would appreciate every recommendation between 150/250. I can go up to 300 if it makes a big difference. I'm in Europe.
GuilioCrippler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:
Demoniarch wrote:

$500 'the best is....'
$1000 'the best is....'

The more you pay the more you get, but the curve is an asymptotic one. At a certain point you'll need to spend considerable dollar for a marginal increase in sound quality. And...a system only sounds as good as its weakeast link.

Still, it's not useless to have a good sounding system if you're into metal. Some demo repress sourced from mp3 will always sound bad. But listen to some early pressing Iron maiden records and a better system will open your ears.

True for the most part. My mantra and advice for home stereo systems is to first figure out how much you want to spend (or have already spent) and allocate at least 50% if not 60% of that budget to your speakers.

If your other components start making up a larger portion of the money you have into the system. Its probably a good bet to update your speakers.
Humus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crasse wrote:
Okay, I would appreciate every recommendation between 150/250. I can go up to 300 if it makes a big difference. I'm in Europe.

There are some good deals on the second hand market but it's hard to know what was good and what was not (good brands made bad turntables and vice versa).
Your safe bet would thus be to purchase a new turntable. I'd stretch your budget a bit and buy a Rega RP1. Seen them as low as 270.
Crasse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:
Crasse wrote:

There are some good deals on the second hand market but it's hard to know what was good and what was not (good brands made bad turntables and vice versa).
Your safe bet would thus be to purchase a new turntable. I'd stretch your budget a bit and buy a Rega RP1. Seen them as low as 270.

Currently watching this one. There are some different cartridge options to chose, Carbon or Goldring E1/E2/E3 from 249 to 300. Would there be much difference between those (E1 and carbon costs the same)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78  Next
Page 74 of 78

Jump to: