P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psalmanazar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct choice is not to buy anything with that budget. Stick to CDs and lossless digital. They're better anyway and you only have half of what a decent turntable would cost, yet alone a good cart and phono pre.

Vinyl will just sound like total shit on a cheap Chinese made table. Buy some cheap, bang for buck digital gear or new speakers instead to satisfy your list for better sound. JBL LSR 305 are what? 200-300 a pair? Those are legit okay.
lemegethon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psalmanazar wrote:
The correct choice is not to buy anything with that budget. Stick to CDs and lossless digital. They're better anyway and you only have half of what a decent turntable would cost, yet alone a good cart and phono pre.

Vinyl will just sound like total shit on a cheap Chinese made table. Buy some cheap, bang for buck digital gear or new speakers instead to satisfy your list for better sound. JBL LSR 305 are what? 200-300 a pair? Those are legit okay.

Why are you plugging that shit here? hush
gordeth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psalmanazar wrote:

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree here. Vinyl has a learning curve so I say get into it as soon as possible instead of waiting until you can afford an expensive setup. That way, when you do upgrade, you'll be used to the level of care required and you'll appreciate it more.
patientot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gordeth wrote:
Psalmanazar wrote:

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree here. Vinyl has a learning curve so I say get into it as soon as possible instead of waiting until you can afford an expensive setup. That way, when you do upgrade, you'll be used to the level of care required and you'll appreciate it more.

And I'll go ahead and disagree again. I went through the whole crap system thing in the 90s and definitely didn't appreciate vinyl back then like I do now. My 2 cents: no point in investing in records if your system is crap unless you buy them simply to collect like comic books and beanie babies or whatever. Records sound like shit on crap systems and cheap plastic turntables, period.

If decent sound is the goal there is much better bang for the buck on DAC or CD player based system, especially if you put together a system based on headphones instead of an integrated amp and speakers.

If people want to jump on the trendwhore bangwagon and spend $$$ on limited colored splatter vinyl to play it back on a POS turntable, that's their business, but it is guaranteed to sound like dogshit.
GuilioCrippler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be the guy in the middle and say. Go ahead and buy a budget system to start. Hopefully, you realize what a money sink vinyl is and don't bother. Smile

Jokes aside. With a budget system in place you can buy records, and see how much you enjoy that. Start budgeting and saving for a better system. I use the rule that speakers should be about 50% - 60% of your budget. When you're ready to buy your new system you'll know if you want to continue with the hobby. Otherwise, go on a vacation or buy a bunch of tapes.

I saw a guy on youtube show off a record that was worth more than his system on display behind him. You've fucked up if you have 20k in records and you play it on a 300 dollar system.
Crasse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... I decided to buy the Rega RP1 for this black friday thing.
Should I go for the standard version with the Carbon cartridge (199) or should i go for the version with the Goldring E1 cartridge (249)?

Would it be worth to pay the money for that or they are more or less on the same level? Both prices were 249 before the black friday sale.
Humus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are they selling the RP1 at 199? That's a steal!
GuilioCrippler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crasse wrote:
Should I go for the standard version with the Carbon cartridge (199) or should i go for the version with the Goldring E1 cartridge (249)?

Would it be worth to pay the money for that or they are more or less on the same level? Both prices were 249 before the black friday sale.

That Goldring cart is nice. I'd splurge for the extra.
SlevinKelevra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the usa... if your looking at all right now...Buy your gear now. After net neutrality dies, prices will spike for a while when both streaming is not viable in the usa and online retailers are stifled.

---
Recent deals/trades with : Al Infierno, bearsbearsbears , jerry666, lordpazuzu, lunar stele, xyosefx . Feedback on ebay and discogs speaks loud.
Crasse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:

Spain.
https://www.supersonido.es/busqueda/?b=Rega+RP1
lemegethon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crasse wrote:

I think you better look on other forums specialized in this to get opinions on the cartridge.
Too Dark Park

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technics 1600 MK2 Vs Technics 1200 Mk 1 or 2, price of 1600 relatively half that of 1200, 1600 has been serviced . Thoughts?
patientot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuilioCrippler wrote:
Crasse wrote:

That Goldring cart is nice. I'd splurge for the extra.

Both are low-end, entry-level cartridges with bonded spherical styli. I'd say it doesn't matter.
patientot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too Dark Park wrote:
Technics 1600 MK2 Vs Technics 1200 Mk 1 or 2, price of 1600 relatively half that of 1200, 1600 has been serviced . Thoughts?

Need more info. What type of servicing was done on the 1600? To some people, servicing means simply spraying potentiometers with deoxit and wiping down with a damp cloth. That is not real servicing. Find out what was done.

What kind of condition is the 1200 in? Google for how to test one. Many people buy one that's been abused by a DJ or whatever then figure out tonearm bearings are shot and things have been jerry-rigged on it.

If you don't test either out in person do not buy either.
Humus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crasse wrote:
Humus wrote:

Spain.
https://www.supersonido.es/busqueda/?b=Rega+RP1

Fuck, no shipping possible. Cheapest option loczlly is 270 for the rp1. Still want to buy one as a back-up turntable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78  Next
Page 75 of 78

Jump to: