P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you cleaning your records with ? I need to buy a record cleaning machine and I'm thinking of Spinclean, Knosti or similiar stuff.
K.D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inverto Crosso wrote:
K.D.S. wrote:
Speaking of Project Debut turntables (I own a Debut III) and arm lifts.. the lowering mechanism on my turntable recently started giving some trouble, sometimes it won't lower the arm all the way down so the needle just sits hovering slightly above the record until I manually lower it. Easiest solution, any thoughts? Couldn't really see any dust that might have got stuck somewhere in the mechanism.

Can you find this type of an adjusting screw in your arm rest? Or try adding a drop of oil in the lift mechanism.

Good call! Now if I could only find my Leatherman tool.. Laughing

I probably also have to adjust the screws that hold the dust cover because that has suddenly started producing incredibly loud creaking sounds. I moved house earlier this month, my guess would be that rough handling during transport caused the trouble.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorm wrote:
What are you cleaning your records with ? I need to buy a record cleaning machine and I'm thinking of Spinclean, Knosti or similiar stuff.

I have a spin clean but it's been in the closet for years. Kind of a pain in the ass, and it seems to leave a film on the records. The last few years I've been using this

https://www.amazon.com/Record-Cleaning-Velvet-Brush-Record-Happy/dp/B0154JSY68/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1516385639&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=record+cleaning+kit&psc=1

Simple, and works amazingly well. You spray the solution on the velvet sponge type thing (not on the record itself) and work it over the LP while it's spinning and it pulls out a ton of gunk you don't even see with the naked eye. The velvet acts as little teeth that really get in the grooves.It's a cheap solution and not time consuming at all. This bit from a review describes the right way to use if "It seems best to start with the brush tilted forward against the direction the record spins and then slowly tilt until flat and then lift off front to back. That way, the dirt seems to stay on the brush, not the record."
Then I just use a carbon fiber brush after that and a few puffs with the air bladder and my stuff is clean.

However, do NOT use that little white toothbrush looking thing on your stylus. That's all kinds of wrong, they shouldn't sell it as such. I do use that little brush to clean the gunk off the velvet though.
K.D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one of these anti-static brushes, works like a charm:

Jorm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the advice. The brush you use is cheap, seems like a good solution before trying anything else. Does it do the job on old and very dirty records (I have some 40 and 50 year old records that need a good cleaning).

Also, I've been reading lots of stuff about Spinclean and co. on forums. It seems like it is best to wash the records with the fluid provided and then rinse it with purified water to remove that film.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorm wrote:
Ok, thanks for the advice. The brush you use is cheap, seems like a good solution before trying anything else. Does it do the job on old and very dirty records (I have some 40 and 50 year old records that need a good cleaning).

Also, I've been reading lots of stuff about Spinclean and co. on forums. It seems like it is best to wash the records with the fluid provided and then rinse it with purified water to remove that film.

It does a very good job of cleaning up very old records. Of course, there are some damages that can't be solved even with an expensive machine, but this'll make a big difference I'm sure. Even my dirtiest old records that I got from 2nd hand shops "look" clean after using this, and sound much clearer.

Yeah I've done the spinclean thing properly as you describe above but still end up with film when viewed from certain angles. Basically feel it's more trouble than it's worth for the results it gives, especially at that high price point for a bunch of thin plastic. The brush does a better job to me, for a fraction of the cost. Try it out, you've got nothing to lose at this point.
K.D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconded. Just spend twenty bucks on a brush and see if that works for you. It most likely will, usually it does the trick just fine. Never tried one of those spinclean tools myself, somehow I'm a little sceptical.
K-mart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://squeakycleanvinyl.com/
This works great, from Canada and you have to purchase a small shop vac. separately, I've been using it for about a year or so.
Crasse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Record-Cleaning-Velvet-Brush-Record-Happy/dp/B0154JSY68/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1516385639&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=record+cleaning+kit&psc=1

This one is great. I didn't get the liquid but it works well to take the dust before listening.
gordeth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
I have a spin clean but it's been in the closet for years. Kind of a pain in the ass, and it seems to leave a film on the records.

That's disappointing to hear. I bought one not long ago but haven't gotten around to using it yet. I hope it doesn't end up being a big waste of money. Were you able to get the film off with that velvet brush?
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gordeth wrote:
. Were you able to get the film off with that velvet brush?

Yep.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crasse wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:

This one is great. I didn't get the liquid but it works well to take the dust before listening.

Oh man you should really use the liquid (or any other brand of vinyl cleaning liquid) with it. Much deeper clean, and I'd be worried about grinding dirt/grime into the grooves using that thing dry.
gordeth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
gordeth wrote:
. Were you able to get the film off with that velvet brush?

Yep.

Good to know. Anyone wanna buy an unused Spin-Clean? Laughing

J/K. I'll probably still give it a try. Maybe I just won't use the solution that comes with it since that would be the only thing that could be leaving a film if you're using distilled water.
sloughfegkillers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíve been really considering lashing out on an expensive machine, glad I didnít. One of those velvet brushes and solution should do just fine, thanks.
K.D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairly certain a brush and some cleaning solution usually does the trick just fine under regular circumstances. A spinclean might be useful if you wish to clean some seriously old and dirty records (stuff that has been left untouched in the attic for decades or some old records that you found in the dollar bin at some dusty thrift store).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 79 of 83

Jump to: