P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 52, 53, 54  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Hellpig



Joined: 24 Apr 2010
Posts: 254

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
I own a debut III.... Love it. No complaints at all.

Ditto! I run it through a dedicated NAD pre-amp and through NAD reciever ... sounds great!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jaybe729



Joined: 05 Jan 2011
Posts: 181
Location: Dine' tah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hitachi record player, not sure of the model or anything, but i got it @ a 2nd hand record store a few years back, anyhow, towards the end of records, especially when there is a small space between the tracks and center label (usually on a 7" more so..), when the arm gets a certain distance from the center, it automatically lifts and sets back to the "non play" position...is there something i can adjust to keep this from occuring? i haven't messed w/ the 'skip' adjustment or any other adjustments...

it's annoying, especially when i'm recording onto a tape, and the end of the last song cuts off w/ some time left.. Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lutfor



Joined: 25 Feb 2009
Posts: 2046

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomedplanet wrote:
I've been using the Ortofon 2m for the last year or so, I got it as a 'temporary' cart locally and haven't gone back to my other cart yet. I can say without hesitation you should look for something better. I accentuates surface noise for sure and I'm getting sick of it. for $100 it is ok but surely for similar money there has to me something much better.

Mephistophelesishere wrote:
Lutfor wrote:
Bump. Gonna get another cartridge. Willing to go 100-150 for something decent. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm looking at Ortofon at the moment but up for anything good.

the ortofon 2m red gets a ton of praise. great quality cartridge for the money.


Sorry to hear that. That's one of the cartridges I was looking at, too.

I'm basically settled on a Nagaoka or Denon but I'm hesitant because replacement styli for the Nagaoka aren't cheap and the Denon will require re-tipping, which I see is just as expensive as buying a brand new one. I'm not exactly an audiophile although I do prize good sound. Would something like a Shure be better for me? You can at least buy decent enough sytli to replace with them.
_________________
The sweetest sweet scent of their fresh let blood

Utter revulsion for what I've done.


You don't want the Butt Kraken!
Bring on the Krappen!

Slaughter wrote:
Why isn't Goatlord being mentioned? Is it too fast or something?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Descension



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 3560

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2M Red is reportedly bright and picks up everything. The 2M Bronze and the Denon DL-103R are what I recommend... unfortunately, they are not in the range of $150.

Save your money instead. Trust me. I'm a doctor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lutfor



Joined: 25 Feb 2009
Posts: 2046

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Descension wrote:
The 2M Red is reportedly bright and picks up everything. The 2M Bronze and the Denon DL-103R are what I recommend... unfortunately, they are not in the range of $150.

Save your money instead. Trust me. I'm a doctor.


Haha. Yeah I wonder about that, if its simply a matter of keeping your records spotless with the Ortofon.

As I said I like Denon but I'm hesitant to invest in a cartridge that will require retipping when its worn because that's almost as expensive as the cartridge itself.

To save money, as you recommend, I'll go with a Shure M97XE. Have previous experience with older Shures and I liked them well enough. Well, I had to, that brand being my first exposure to hi fi.
_________________
The sweetest sweet scent of their fresh let blood

Utter revulsion for what I've done.


You don't want the Butt Kraken!
Bring on the Krappen!

Slaughter wrote:
Why isn't Goatlord being mentioned? Is it too fast or something?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Odious Butcher



Joined: 01 Aug 2012
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Current Rig Reply with quote

This is my first and current rig.

A Technics SL-1200MkII > Shure m97xe > Technics Synthesizer > Klipsch Speakers.



I've been enjoying this Turntable very much. Built like a tank, great reliability, Ease of use etc.

I am thinking about purchasing a more music oriented Audiophile Class Record Player.

So far, the Music Hall MMF 5.1 seems to be A great choice for those entering into the Audiophile range of Phono equipment



This is a belt driven unit with a rather good and adjustable Tone Arm.

Any comments on this player?
_________________
AMSG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doomedplanet



Joined: 03 Nov 2006
Posts: 507
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say no. I'm noticing a lot of new vinyl, cleaned on the VPI before the first play, don't sound new. Maybe it is a lowering of quality of modern vinyl but I don't think so.

Lutfor wrote:


Haha. Yeah I wonder about that, if its simply a matter of keeping your records spotless with the Ortofon.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lutfor



Joined: 25 Feb 2009
Posts: 2046

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomedplanet wrote:
I would say no. I'm noticing a lot of new vinyl, cleaned on the VPI before the first play, don't sound new. Maybe it is a lowering of quality of modern vinyl but I don't think so.

Lutfor wrote:


Haha. Yeah I wonder about that, if its simply a matter of keeping your records spotless with the Ortofon.



Yeah, I gave up shopping for Ortofon. Seemed like a gamble which I'm not up for at the moment. Went with a Shure M97XE.
_________________
The sweetest sweet scent of their fresh let blood

Utter revulsion for what I've done.


You don't want the Butt Kraken!
Bring on the Krappen!

Slaughter wrote:
Why isn't Goatlord being mentioned? Is it too fast or something?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lutfor



Joined: 25 Feb 2009
Posts: 2046

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty so the gay little Shure doesn't fit on my Gemini headshell. Go figure. Any suggestions on a proper fitting headshell for this? Technics? I read Shures pair well with them.
_________________
The sweetest sweet scent of their fresh let blood

Utter revulsion for what I've done.


You don't want the Butt Kraken!
Bring on the Krappen!

Slaughter wrote:
Why isn't Goatlord being mentioned? Is it too fast or something?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
drinks



Joined: 15 May 2011
Posts: 847

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odious Butcher wrote:
This is my first and current rig.

A Technics SL-1200MkII > Shure m97xe > Technics Synthesizer > Klipsch Speakers.

*snip*

I've been enjoying this Turntable very much. Built like a tank, great reliability, Ease of use etc.

I am thinking about purchasing a more music oriented Audiophile Class Record Player.

So far, the Music Hall MMF 5.1 seems to be A great choice for those entering into the Audiophile range of Phono equipment

*snip*

This is a belt driven unit with a rather good and adjustable Tone Arm.

Any comments on this player?

Keep the Technics. Just because something is branded "audiophile" does not make it better. I replaced a Music Hall deck with an SL-1200 and the Technics blew it away. Just buy a better cartridge (and maybe get the Technics serviced, if you bought it used) and it should do you right for a lifetime. As much as I enjoy my high-end vintage deck I still miss my SL due to its ease of use and consistently awesome performance with no need for occasional maintenance / adjustment.

Lutfor wrote:
Alrighty so the gay little Shure doesn't fit on my Gemini headshell. Go figure. Any suggestions on a proper fitting headshell for this? Technics? I read Shures pair well with them.

Doesn't fit? 1/2" mount headshells are generally universal, can you post a photo showing what you mean?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Throne_of_ahaz
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a Technics SL-1210 MK2 (in black) and have absolutely no interest in upgrading it to anything else. Mine has a 70's serial number, so I know it is made of quality. As regards cartridges and styli, I will swear by the Audio-Technica AT440MLa. You can get them on LP gear for about $100 (which is by far the cheapest place on the net for them), and are elliptical. They pick up pretty much everything, even driving through muck due to the higher amount of contact points, and also create much less wear on the record.

I trust Technics implicitly really, and also have an SL-PS770A CD player, RS-AZ6 tape deck (which is the best one I have ever had the pleasure of using), coupled with an SU-800UM2 pre-amp/SE-A900SM2 power amp.

I have a pair of Tannoy Mercury Mk II Speakers, on Atacama stands.
Back to top
drinks



Joined: 15 May 2011
Posts: 847

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throne_of_ahaz wrote:
As regards cartridges and styli, I will swear by the Audio-Technica AT440MLa. You can get them on LP gear for about $100 (which is by far the cheapest place on the net for them), and are elliptical.

Microline, actually. But yes, they do pick up everything, for better or worse. Not a forgiving cartridge. Also a bit bright in most systems unless you have very low capacitive loading, but this applies to most AT carts. I think the AT-150MLX is well worth the extra cash over the 440MLa, probably the finest MM cartridge in current production.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Throne_of_ahaz
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drinks wrote:
Throne_of_ahaz wrote:
As regards cartridges and styli, I will swear by the Audio-Technica AT440MLa. You can get them on LP gear for about $100 (which is by far the cheapest place on the net for them), and are elliptical.

Microline, actually. But yes, they do pick up everything, for better or worse. Not a forgiving cartridge. Also a bit bright in most systems unless you have very low capacitive loading, but this applies to most AT carts. I think the AT-150MLX is well worth the extra cash over the 440MLa, probably the finest MM cartridge in current production.


Oh aye, yes. Microline. Either way $100 is my limit for a replacement stylus, and isn't going to change, even though the AT-150MLX is pretty special. It should be for almost double the price. I find the 440MLa to be pretty spot on in my system. I was thinking about upgrading the tone arm, but saw that it can affect the stylus sound on the SL series, so left it.

I am happy with how my set up sounds.
Back to top
drinks



Joined: 15 May 2011
Posts: 847

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MLX and MLa styli are interchangeable, so you could get the benefits of the MLX body and use the cheaper stylus if so desired. However the boron cantilever is notably superior to the MLa's standard aluminum.

I agree about the tonearm, the stock one is just fine (and if you upgrade the wiring, and address some minor damping issues it is pretty damn excellent). Replacing it with a Rega or such is a lateral move at best, however an SME would be a fantastic upgrade, good synergy with the Technics base.

Was just screwing around with my tonearm after I (may have, i dont remember) borked something when drunk, and found my armlift leaking fluid again. Ah, the perils of vintage gear. Not a huge deal, I'll just have to continue queuing by hand, but definitely an annoyance as it was just repaired less than a year ago. All other functions still working fine. I've looked into replacing the lift with a Jelco or similar but it would require some pretty ghetto means to rig it up. Not quite "just duct tape the fucker" methods but it wouldn't look right. I'm actually considering one of these:

http://www.thequp.com/

Not sure how it would compare to the classic AT Safety Raiser and similar, but it would certainly be safer / easier than yanking the stylus off the record by hand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Throne_of_ahaz
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drinks wrote:
The MLX and MLa styli are interchangeable, so you could get the benefits of the MLX body and use the cheaper stylus if so desired. However the boron cantilever is notably superior to the MLa's standard aluminum.

I agree about the tonearm, the stock one is just fine (and if you upgrade the wiring, and address some minor damping issues it is pretty damn excellent). Replacing it with a Rega or such is a lateral move at best, however an SME would be a fantastic upgrade, good synergy with the Technics base.

Was just screwing around with my tonearm after I (may have, i dont remember) borked something when drunk, and found my armlift leaking fluid again. Ah, the perils of vintage gear. Not a huge deal, I'll just have to continue queuing by hand, but definitely an annoyance as it was just repaired less than a year ago. All other functions still working fine. I've looked into replacing the lift with a Jelco or similar but it would require some pretty ghetto means to rig it up. Not quite "just duct tape the fucker" methods but it wouldn't look right. I'm actually considering one of these:

http://www.thequp.com/

Not sure how it would compare to the classic AT Safety Raiser and similar, but it would certainly be safer / easier than yanking the stylus off the record by hand.


I have had the MLa body since I bought it the same day I received my turntable. It was the most I could afford at the time. I have no intention of upgrading anything on my system now. It creates a quality sound for majority black and death metal listening, so I have no need to waste more money going "audiophile" on it.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 25 of 54

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group