P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mathias

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
I've begun having motor noise issues with my Project Debut III. The table is about 3 years old.

It's not a grounding issue, and doesn't get picked up by the stylus/tone arm (at least, not audibly to me) . It's definitely the motor, and the weird part is that the noise doesn't happen on start up... it takes a song or two, then during the break between songs I hear a quite loud and distracting constant "Whirring" sound. Confused Any ideas what's causing this and a possible fix without having to bring it into the local audio shop ? Keep in mind that I'm not especially mechanically inclined with this type of thing .

You could check this - http://www.theapplechap.webspace.virginmedia.com/TheAppleChap/Blog/Entries/2011/5/24_Enhancing_the_sound_from_Pro-ject_turntables_by_removing_rumble.html
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathias wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:
I've begun having motor noise issues with my Project Debut III. The table is about 3 years old.

It's not a grounding issue, and doesn't get picked up by the stylus/tone arm (at least, not audibly to me) . It's definitely the motor, and the weird part is that the noise doesn't happen on start up... it takes a song or two, then during the break between songs I hear a quite loud and distracting constant "Whirring" sound. Confused Any ideas what's causing this and a possible fix without having to bring it into the local audio shop ? Keep in mind that I'm not especially mechanically inclined with this type of thing .

You could check this - http://www.theapplechap.webspace.virginmedia.com/TheAppleChap/Blog/Entries/2011/5/24_Enhancing_the_sound_from_Pro-ject_turntables_by_removing_rumble.html

Thanks for the link !But, this problem seems to be a bit different than the noise I'm experiencing, but maybe not.... Either way, I'm not sure I want to get in there and start messing around with things unless I'm 100% sure of the problem/solution since I'm by no means inclined with this kind of stuff and I may make matters worse. I suppose I'll call the local audio shop and see what they say.
drinks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it might need to be oiled, at least that would be my first thought but that's not an issue one should have with a 3 year old turntable. Could be something different entirely, especially considering it's not constant.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a way to measure the current while it's running? If it's drawing more current while making that noise it could have shorted windings or something
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody have any suggestions about phono preamps? I just ordered the Denon D103 to go with my SL1200.

A friend has offered to give me an NAD 1020B, but that was several weeks ago and I don't want to press. I'm toying with the idea of the Jolida JD9.
K-mart

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered the Jolida as well,and I almost pulled the trigger too,I was on the pnone with a salesman who had a demo at a pretty good price.
Have you looked at the thread on Audiokarma about the Jolida?
I've decided on the Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk,just waiting for some more funds to come in.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What made you change your mind?
Madhukapala

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any opinions on a Yamaha YP-B4? I recently unearthed one and I'm having it examined. Wondering if it's worth paying to have any of the likely problems fixed.

Also thinking of picking up a Pioner SA 5800 amp for $60.
captainretardo

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a YP-xx hooked up to the worst stereo in the house when I was a kid. I can't remember the exact model number, but I think it was a B2. The B4 may be slightly better, but they are low-end Yamahas. Yamaha made quality equipment then, but that table's not particularly great. It's basically an OK 'no fuss' table, not the worst thing you can have, but definitely nothing special. Might be good as a starter table or for use on a secondary/tertiary setup.
Madhukapala

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I appreciate the input.
drinks

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
Anybody have any suggestions about phono preamps? I just ordered the Denon D103 to go with my SL1200.

A friend has offered to give me an NAD 1020B, but that was several weeks ago and I don't want to press. I'm toying with the idea of the Jolida JD9.

I have a lot of experience with this combo. For best sound you're going to want to mass the arm up. A heavy headshell will help, however I noticed that the stock 103 is a very short cartridge. Using a headshell such as the Sumiko will not allow you to obtain proper VTA, the cartridge ends up being slightly tail up even at the lowest setting. A spacer between the headshell and cartridge will remedy this, with the added benefit of more mass. Sound Hifi in the UK sell a very nice (and fairly expensive) copper one custom made for the 103, I know VPI sells a generic one for significantly less, other options may be available. Damping of the arm (fluid damping such as the KAB trough, or simple internal/external damping of the arm tube) helps greatly to absorb the significant amount of vibration this cartridge can send into the arm.

As for preamps, the Denon deserves a very good one. I haven't heard the Jolida, but I wouldn't personally go tube with a low output MC, noise floor is usually a lot higher. A MM tube stage with a step-up transformer may be pretty good. Denon's own AU-300lc works quite well with even a moderately priced solid state MM preamp. I ended up selling mine because I found my Simaudio's MC stage to be just as good as the SUT into MM, but the AU-300 made the 103 sing even hooked up to my previous Cambridge 640p. There are a ton of options, these are just my own observations. There are many fans of this cartridge and table combo, shouldn't be too hard to search for other opinions.

It's a real giant killer of a cartridge if properly paired and set up, might take some (a lot) of experimentation to get it right but that's half the fun. Once you get some hours on it you can get out the exacto knife and stick it in a wood/aluminum body for even greater improvement.

edit:

I've heard positive reports on the Musical Surroundings Phenomena II paired with the 103, in similar price range as the Jolida and even more adjustable. Maybe another one to look into.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orpheus wrote:
Do you have a way to measure the current while it's running? If it's drawing more current while making that noise it could have shorted windings or something

No, I don't have a way to do that. I tried oiling everything and the sound still occurs after a few minutes of play time. I think I'm just going to have to take it into the shop I bought it from. They are helpful and very reasonable as far as pricing goes.
Descension

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The woes of the multimeter-less. Can't wait to drop a stupid amount of money on an phono upgrade soon.
K-mart

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knucklehead wrote:
What made you change your mind?

Well,first the Jolida is made in China,fuck that!
In reading through the thread on Audiokarma it seems there are/were 2 different companies building the thing,with some complaining about sloopy craftsmanship in the construction.
It also seemed that to get the most out of it you had to make some modifications,no big deal, I would just rather by a component and have it perform right out of the box.
I did read up on the RS Nighthawk a bit too,seems it really does well with rock/metal selections,and it outperforms a lot of much higher priced phono preamps.
I placed my order last Saturday.
I do have a Cambridge Audio 640P for sale!
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem solved

Last edited by lordoftherim on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 39 of 49

Jump to: