P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

NWOBHM That Sucks
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VikingLunarLander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: NWOBHM That Sucks Reply with quote

So High Roller has plenty of NWOBHM compilations so much that it's tough knowing what's mandatory and what's eeeh. For example the Marquis De Sade compilaton was excellent but the Triarchy compilation was meh with few standout tracks beside the excellent openers. Got any tips on which NWOBHM reissues are not worth it and which one are excellent ? I hear good things about a Tredegar reissue and I'm curious about the compilations from Badger Bell Band, Bleak House and High Treason.

Also post any NWOBHM band that you feel you're better off avoiding I guess.

Last edited by VikingLunarLander on Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
quietus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll refrain from mentioning our stuff as obviously I think it is good. That said I would strongly recommend the Hollow Ground compilation and Blitzkrieg Comps that have recently been done ...cool as hell.
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: NWOBHM That Sucks Reply with quote

I think the Triarchy compilation is excellent, mandatory even, recently re-bought it for the bonus stuff. Make a huge list of what you like and also a list of what you do not like and post it here. All a matter of taste. Most, but not all, of the 'reunion' albums of old UK metal bands tend not to be so good. Always exceptions like SATAN. Blitzkrieg you basically cannot go wrong with any of their albums.

VikingLunarLander wrote:
So High Roller has plenty of NWOBHM compilations so much that it's tough knowing what's mandatory and what's eeeh. For example the Marquis De Sade compilaton was excellent but the Triarchy compilation was meh with few standout tracks beside the excellent openers. Got any tips on which NWOBHM reissues are not worth it and which one are excellent ? I hear good thing about a Tredegar reissue and I'm curious about the compilations from Badger Bell Band, Bleak House and High Treason.

Also post any NWOBHM band that you feel you're better off avoiding I guess.
VikingLunarLander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: NWOBHM That Sucks Reply with quote

doomedplanet wrote:
I think the Triarchy compilation is excellent, mandatory even, recently re-bought it for the bonus stuff. Make a huge list of what you like and also a list of what you do not like and post it here. All a matter of taste. Most, but not all, of the 'reunion' albums of old UK metal bands tend not to be so good. Always exceptions like SATAN. Blitzkrieg you basically cannot go wrong with any of their albums.

Yeah of course it's a matter of taste but I mean especially with the lesser known bands that never got to release an album you never know if it's woth investing bucks to hear the music.

Anyway here's my list of lesser known NWOBHM bands I am also curious about and wanted to check out, any tips appreciated : The Handsome beasts, Tytan, Sherwood, Golgotha, Crucifixion, Emerald, Damascus, Traitors Gate, Troyen, Hollow Ground, Tysondogs, Mythra, Nightime flyer, Saracen, Persian Risk, Spartan Warrior, Paralex, Quartz, Geddes Axe, Bashful Alley, Berlyn, Warrior.
laasgaardh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorites:

Geddes Axe
Jameson Raid
Omega (LP)
Traitor's Gate
Trappazat (LP)
Virtue

Not quite as excellent, but definitelystill well worth getting:

Apocalypse/Omega
Big Daisy
Mythra
Scarab

Pretty much like everything, wouldn't say that any of the ones I've bought sucks.
H5N1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: NWOBHM That Sucks Reply with quote

VikingLunarLander wrote:
doomedplanet wrote:

Yeah of course it's a matter of taste but I mean especially with the lesser known bands that never got to release an album you never know if it's woth investing bucks to hear the music.

Anyway here's my list of lesser known NWOBHM bands I am also curious about and wanted to check out, any tips appreciated : The Handsome beasts, Tytan, Sherwood, Golgotha, Crucifixion, Emerald, Damascus, Traitors Gate, Troyen, Hollow Ground, Tysondogs, Mythra, Nightime flyer, Saracen, Persian Risk, Spartan Warrior, Paralex, Quartz, Geddes Axe, Bashful Alley, Berlyn, Warrior.

Traitor's Gate are good and Hollow Ground is okay. Never liked Quartz and I think Spartan Warrior are just shit. The rest I never heard.
VikingLunarLander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laasgaardh wrote:
My favorites:

Jameson Raid

Got this one too, nothing special really. I mean I have extremely high expectations each time I check out another NWOBHM band since it's so legendary but I'm really easily disappointed
raskolnikhilov

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Quartz is a massive disappointment, as is the compilation. The first two Spartan warrior albums are solid if not spectacular. These however i can recommend.

Trespass
Warrior
Mendes Prey
Bleak house

The shit is over, cds on Garbage!

Next time ask Nuclear Blast and Century Media to release your FART DIAHRREA sounds!!!!
laasgaardh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: NWOBHM That Sucks Reply with quote

VikingLunarLander wrote:
doomedplanet wrote:

The first Saracen-LP is a masterpiece, definitely a must have.
RIDRID

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: NWOBHM That Sucks Reply with quote

laasgaardh wrote:
VikingLunarLander wrote:
doomedplanet wrote:

The first Saracen-LP is a masterpiece, definitely a must have.

Damascus' vocals sound like some guy who got kicked off the cast of Cats for complaining about his receding hairline instead of learning his songs.

Traitor's Gate is cool if for nothing more than the song Devil Takes the High Road.

Persian Risk is blah
gravesnatcher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: NWOBHM That Sucks Reply with quote

Emerald isn't British metal
The new paralex isn't too good

quote="VikingLunarLander"][quote="doomedplanet"]I think the Triarchy compilation is excellent, mandatory even, recently re-bought it for the bonus stuff. Make a huge list of what you like and also a list of what you do not like and post it here. All a matter of taste. Most, but not all, of the 'reunion' albums of old UK metal bands tend not to be so good. Always exceptions like SATAN. Blitzkrieg you basically cannot go wrong with any of their albums.[/quote]

Anyway here's my list of lesser known NWOBHM bands I am also curious about and wanted to check out, any tips appreciated : The Handsome beasts, Tytan, Sherwood, Golgotha, Crucifixion, Emerald, Damascus, Traitors Gate, Troyen, Hollow Ground, Tysondogs, Mythra, Nightime flyer, Saracen, Persian Risk, Spartan Warrior, Paralex, Quartz, Geddes Axe, Bashful Alley, Berlyn, Warrior.[/quote]
NucleArt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion - that might not be shared by everyone - basically nearly everything that was originally released on Ebony Records is worth getting, especially the Chateaux albums that just got released are awesome - "Fire power" is an incredible record.
I think it was released on No Remorse records, but it is definitely available from thgem.
EK Nacht
banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of it sucks, is pretty gay, and fell into obscurity for a reason.

Edit: with some exceptions like Diamond Head, Traitors Gate, Tank and a few others.

Last edited by EK Nacht on Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Backwards

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of it?
Kojiri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EK Nacht wrote:
Most of it sucks, is pretty gay, and fell into obscurity for a reason.

Leave the hall and die in too much snow.

Keep the hate train rollin'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: