P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Post your most "influential" album...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Post your most "influential" album... Reply with quote

You know, I'm sure there's a few, maybe not your favorite record ever made, but something that opened the door to so many other things, or turned you onto a whole genre of music or whatever - I was thinking about it last night, mulling over perchance an interesting thread and going through various options (Ride The Lighting, Left Hand Path, Walk Among Us, To Mega Therion, Aske, etc) and it hit me:

Because: when I bought this record I was a wee tender teenager of 15, I liked hardcore and metal, hard heard lots of cool stuff and randomly came across this record in our local punk/metal vegan anarchist DIY co-op record store and I knew I had heard of it, but knew it to be referenced as a real milestone but never checked it out - the dude behind the counter ever suggested a 7" I might like by a German band called Accion Mutante called Fear which I bought at the same time which is one I still really like - anyway, I remember getting home and dropping the needle on this record and just being destroyed by it - I think the first time I heard it I thought there was something wrong with my stereo because I'd never heard anything so fast, it was just incomprehensible. After another listen it kind of started to make sense and within a few weeks I was prowling the record stores like a crazed ape looking for stuff of the same ilk. It turned me onto so many other bands and always remained one of my favorite records....... I think had I not heard that record at that time I could have gone an entirely different path musically.......

So anyway, post yers if you got one..........
PeterVenkman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuclear Assault : Game Over by a mile
maniact666

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Napalm Death - Scum
Hellstrike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank - Honour & Blood & AC/DC - Live
In Solitude

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Stygian Shadows 'zine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metallica - Master of puppets in 1986, in the first year of highschool...
Doom-Mantia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people should post "why" so it's not just another boring list thread. nobody followed the OP

Last edited by Doom-Mantia on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Candlemass

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taint - Misogynist Lust
Genocide Organ - Save Our Slaves
Holocaust

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slayer - Reign in Blood?

I bought any slayer album on CD/CS/LP I could find after that.

But as a person changes, other influences come and go.

Emperor - 'Anthems to the welkin at Dusk' is a superb record that influenced me in my teenage years. Had to put it on just now to soak it all in.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doom-Mantia wrote:
people should post "why" so it's not just another boring list thread. nobody followed the OP

I know..... Crying or Very sad
minge-eater

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

entombed - left hand path

TRUE KVNT
Descension twat of the year

Last edited by minge-eater on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
hellmask

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master of Puppets for me.

Before that album, I was into 'traditional' metal like Maiden, Priest, Ozzy, Sabbath, Dio, Twisted Sister, Raven, Accept, etc. I listened to some heavier stuff like Manowar, Metallica, Anthrax, etc. but not much.

Then I went to the record store to buy Ozzy's 'Ultimate Sin' album. My older brother (who was already way into thrash and the really heavy stuff of the time like Metallica, Venom, Slayer, Celtic Frost) purchased 'MoP' at the same time.

We got home, listened to Ozzy, thought it was cool. Then we put on Metallica. I was completely and totally blown away. For whatever reason, that album just hit me like a ton of bricks. I immediately taped the record, and brought it out for my friends to hear. From that moment on, the stuff we used to listen to just didn't do it. Our small group began to seek out any and every thrash band we could find, and we dove head first into the genre. When Reign In Blood came out, that took us to a whole new level and opened the gate to even heavier stuff. The rest is history.

I'd also have to mention the crappy 3rd generation tape of the Misfits' 'Evilive' that I heard a bit later in '86. Even though it sounded like crap, I just couldn't get enough. I quickly immersed myself into the entire Misfits and Samhain catalog, and then later Danzig (the band). I became a total fiend, and remain one to this day.
PeterVenkman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterVenkman wrote:
Nuclear Assault : Game Over by a mile

It was the speed and riffs and john connelly's voice that blew me away, my first gig was slayer nuclear assault in 1988
DSS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having an older sister I was obviously influenced by her male friends and the music they listened to. It was mostly cock-rock like Europe and Poison in the mid '80s. Then in 1985 I saw Iron Maiden on TV (still lived in Poland back then). Being just a little kid I was shocked by the image of Eddie. In 1987 when my family moved to Canada I talked my parents into buying me a couple cassettes "Iron Maiden" and "Somewhere in Time". Even though the two albums sounded very different from each other Iron Maiden remains one of my favorite bands today and those albums changed/influenced my musical tastes.

I started getting into heavier side of Metal all the time. By 1989 I heard "Master of Puppets" and then bought "...And justice for all". Suddenly I started buying albums based simply on the cover. Picked up "Show no mercy", "Years of decay", "Kill'em all" and "Hell-o".
In the summer of 1990 I went to the usual used music store and saw an interesting cover (back then I was buying strictly cassettes, couldn't afford CDs at the age of 14/15) and decided to buy it since it was only $3. This album is the one I consider the most influential of them all when it comes to Metal. I was 15 years old and was shocked when I got home and played it:

This was the album that got me into Sodom, Sepultura, Beherit, Blasphemy, Mayhem, Entombed, Unleashed, Morgoth, Asphyx, etc.

Fast forward to 1994 during my visit to Poland I bought Honor "Urodzony Bialym" cassette (back then you were able to buy albums like this at almost any music store). This was the last album which once again "changed" my musical taste for the lack of other words. RAC and Black Metal became the most listened to styles. No album or band since then had an influence on my musical preference.
Dalihrob

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blut aus nord - Mort
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: