P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Mgla - With Hearts Toward None
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Humus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, you really want to show you've finished the introductory class to economics or what Razz

People buy multiple copies because they expect to sell them for a profit somewhere in the future. As long as the price now is below the expected selling price they still make a profit and will still buy the record now.
If a label wants to discourage buying multiple copies they introduce a "one copy/buyer" limitation. But this is not the case, by the burst of interest in this record they must have realized they are the only seller in the market, hence they know they can raise their prices and still sell their entire stock.
.aske

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:

People buy multiple copies because they expect to sell them for a profit somewhere in the future. As long as the price now is below the expected selling price they still make a profit and will still buy the record now.
If a label wants to discourage buying multiple copies they introduce a "one copy/buyer" limitation. But this is not the case, by the burst of interest in this record they must have realized they are the only seller in the market, hence they know they can raise their prices and still sell their entire stock.

It's true that they will profit more. I wasn't saying their intention was to limit the amount of copies sold, but that is one effect of a price increase.
When the price is below market, many people who don't need extra copies will buy more because they see the PVFCF > current cost.

So, if the prices are increased now, there will be more copies available to consumers, because there will be less hoarding (the price increase will make it less desirable to purchase for future resale).
.aske

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:
Oh man, you really want to show you've finished the introductory class to economics or what Razz

I just wanted to point out how illogical your statement was ("if you raise the price, you make more money").

It's amazing how much stupidity could be avoided with basic economic knowledge. I haven't taken an academic economics course for over 10 years, though. I'm sure your socialized school system failed you a bit on that.
UlvhedinGrom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ecstatic_Horror wrote:
I had no idea this album would generate the praise it has received. I probably stand alone on this, but I prefer the Mdlosci and Further Down The Nest material as the band's best work.

You're not alone.
FLP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree as well, though the new one isn't THAT different from the rest. Together with Svartidaudi the best black metal release of 2012.
Dostojanstvenik

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UlvhedinGrom wrote:
Ecstatic_Horror wrote:
I had no idea this album would generate the praise it has received. I probably stand alone on this, but I prefer the Mdlosci and Further Down The Nest material as the band's best work.

You're not alone.

because it is their best...but it doesn't mean WHTN isn't brilliant too..

Quote:
I agree as well, though the new one isn't THAT different from the rest. Together with Svartidaudi the best black metal release of 2012.

+1
Svartidaudi album is a monster, especially when I'm in the right mood...masterful compositions!!

Last edited by Dostojanstvenik on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Humus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.aske wrote:
Humus wrote:

I just wanted to point out how illogical your statement was ("if you raise the price, you make more money").

It's amazing how much stupidity could be avoided with basic economic knowledge. I haven't taken an academic economics course for over 10 years, though. I'm sure your socialized school system failed you a bit on that.

You might have taken an academic class on economics but not on contextual reading. Of course I know that raising the price does not automatically mean more money. But in this specific case it does. Hence quoting the original message and all...

Don't worry, my socialized school system might have not learnt me a lot about economics but my university degree did Wink
In Solitude

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ecstatic_Horror wrote:

I shared your opinion on the EPs, until this album.
Ecstatic_Horror

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Solitude wrote:
Ecstatic_Horror wrote:

What is the main factor contributing to With Hearts Toward None being the best in your eyes? The emotion in the EP's is overwhelming, and they are in my opinion the epitome of powerful black metal.
In Solitude

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ecstatic_Horror wrote:
In Solitude wrote:
Ecstatic_Horror wrote:

What is the main factor contributing to With Hearts Toward None being the best in your eyes? The emotion in the EP's is overwhelming, and they are in my opinion the epitome of powerful black metal.

Good question. First, I agree with you. Those EPs are completely powerful and emotional, and will always stick with me. Mdlosci was my introduction to mgla, and was/is overwhelming in its grandeur.

I think, however, that WHTN takes it to a new level of personal conviction and passion in the music and lyrics. Lines like "ALL GLORY AND STRENGTH OF CULTURE/NOW NULL AND VOID" with the sudden burst of violence, and the entirety of "III" (summing up the whole album), or "VI" where he lists who will be cleansed from the earth in verbage that evokes Taxi Driver, or just the very beginning of the album where the lyrics lay out almost a thesis of what is to come...ah, so much power. It feels more personal than the EPs, I have to say.

Speaking of lyrics, it resonates stronger with me than perhaps any Black Metal album so far. Mikolaj told me that the "No Solace" theme started with my interview with mgla in CALL FROM THE GRAVE zine, and some events that sprang out of that in his own life, so I have a very personal (though almost unbelievable, that I even had the smallest influence) connection with the concept as well. The way he has written the lyrics is FAR above most Metal in vocabulary and naked honesty. Combine that with the way Mikolaj and Darkside write their music of sturm und drang passion, and you have my favorite album of 2012, and then some.
Ecstatic_Horror

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Solitude wrote:
Ecstatic_Horror wrote:
In Solitude wrote:
Ecstatic_Horror wrote:

Good question. First, I agree with you. Those EPs are completely powerful and emotional, and will always stick with me. Mdlosci was my introduction to mgla, and was/is overwhelming in its grandeur.

I think, however, that WHTN takes it to a new level of personal conviction and passion in the music and lyrics. Lines like "ALL GLORY AND STRENGTH OF CULTURE/NOW NULL AND VOID" with the sudden burst of violence, and the entirety of "III" (summing up the whole album), or "VI" where he lists who will be cleansed from the earth in verbage that evokes Taxi Driver, or just the very beginning of the album where the lyrics lay out almost a thesis of what is to come...ah, so much power. It feels more personal than the EPs, I have to say.

Speaking of lyrics, it resonates stronger with me than perhaps any Black Metal album so far. Mikolaj told me that the "No Solace" theme started with my interview with mgla in CALL FROM THE GRAVE zine, and some events that sprang out of that in his own life, so I have a very personal (though almost unbelievable, that I even had the smallest influence) connection with the concept as well. The way he has written the lyrics is FAR above most Metal in vocabulary and naked honesty. Combine that with the way Mikolaj and Darkside write their music of sturm und drang passion, and you have my favorite album of 2012, and then some.

Your point was spoken like an astute gentlemen to say the least. The conviction part of Mgla is what you pointed out, and I completely agree with you on that. I remember saying back when I heard the EP's, this will be a band that will take people by storm once they catch on. I never read your interview with Mgla that you stated, but now I'm curious to see it, since you stated that No Solace part(curiosity killed the cat). I find it very interesting that the first song off With Hearts Towards None there is a breakdown almost in a metallic hardcore sense, that they actually pulled off quite nicely. I favor the Ep's for their gritty sensibilities, more or less the sign of what was to come. Orthodox but not for the sake of being orthodox. I really enjoy With Hearts Toward None, and I do think they really reached a plateau as far as sheer conviction is concerned, lyrically and musically, and I do think the last song on the album is pure controlled chaos, and one of the best songs they have wrote.

Your take on it was quite fascinating, mainly because I can see you have a personal connection to it, and you understand the music quite clearly. I wish I could have seen the two punch combo of Svartidaudi and Mgla at NBM IV..
Blutkvlt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHTN is pure fury controlled and directed for a greater purpose.

MY TRADELIST/WANTLIST:
http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21928
Dismal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Agreed.

The lyrics on With hearts...are fantastic imo.

A monument is risen
To be seen from afar
Erected by thieves
Financed by murderers
And secured by lawyers
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blutkvlt wrote:
WHTN is pure fury controlled and directed for a greater purpose.

I think this is the best thing you've ever said on this board. Complete agreement.

And this is my response to the idea that the 7"s are better than WHTN: All MGLA recordings have the same feeling of conviction and focus that is making the band infamous these days. I think the new record is the clearest expression of that feeling. It sounds resolute; determined. When I listen to WHTN I imagine a person in a single calm moment in the middle of a storm of chaos and misery. For whatever reason these songs are the only thing left standing after the storm passes. They are that fucking powerful.

Reading the interview in Call From the Grave in conjunction with spinning this record completely fixates my mind on the concept of "doubt."

The 7"s are different even if they share the signature MGLA sound and feel. More of a youthful, maybe even naive take on things. But no less amazing.

What a band! Between the damned, the pissed, and the outright insane!
FLP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think slightly more post-rock influences (especially on "III") got into their sound on "WHTN", compared with the older stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 17 of 19

Jump to: