P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Mgla - With Hearts Toward None
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malfeitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, ordered all the tapes except for WHTN like one week ago.
Just got into Mgla with that one and conviction and focus are good words from recent posts to describe what I felt as well without knowing anything about their background in terms of music and concept.
From the beginning on it felt like a very personal album, one on which the music itself makes up just half of the experience.
That's one reason why this album still grows with every listen for me. As I can still listen to this every week I actually tried to wait for re-presses of the older material, but due to the upcoming gigs at Deathkult and Prague Death Mass I wanted to get into all this stuff now and bought these tapes.
Usually I don't buy multiple copies from one release, but Mgla seems to be well worth every penny.

I guess that Call From The Grave Zine is sold-out by now, still any chance to get it somewhere or to just read that Mgla interview?
aop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are more zines with interviews, fe: Possessed Tormentor Mag Vol.2

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/310415_232645770135136_1001027355_n.jpg
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

malfeitor wrote:
Damn, ordered all the tapes except for WHTN like one week ago.
Just got into Mgla with that one and conviction and focus are good words from recent posts to describe what I felt as well without knowing anything about their background in terms of music and concept.
From the beginning on it felt like a very personal album, one on which the music itself makes up just half of the experience.
That's one reason why this album still grows with every listen for me. As I can still listen to this every week I actually tried to wait for re-presses of the older material, but due to the upcoming gigs at Deathkult and Prague Death Mass I wanted to get into all this stuff now and bought these tapes.
Usually I don't buy multiple copies from one release, but Mgla seems to be well worth every penny.

I guess that Call From The Grave Zine is sold-out by now, still any chance to get it somewhere or to just read that Mgla interview?

Sell ya my copy
huntersinsnow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This album is pretty awesome. It didn't immediately blow me away like the EPs, but it definitely grew on me and I think it will continue to grow on me. Sometimes music I don't initially think much of ends up becoming my favorite, while things that are immediately gratifying can become forgettable.

This might get me kicked out of music, but am I the only one who thinks this band kind of sounds like a more evil BM version of like Level Plane records bands or something? Mostly just the guitar, but sometimes it reminds me specifically of Amanda Woodward or City of Caterpillar etc.

Also, the drumming on this album is fucking insane.
Perverted Necrofucker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the album before, but I got really addicted to it since i saw them on saturday.

GOOD TRADERS : Vandreren , black sun, Kelkum, Gravelander , Division Lycanthrop, goat_lord, Kakarot SS5, S.P.
Holocaust

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntersinsnow wrote:
This album is pretty awesome. It didn't immediately blow me away like the EPs, but it definitely grew on me and I think it will continue to grow on me. Sometimes music I don't initially think much of ends up becoming my favorite, while things that are immediately gratifying can become forgettable.

This might get me kicked out of music, but am I the only one who thinks this band kind of sounds like a more evil BM version of like Level Plane records bands or something? Mostly just the guitar, but sometimes it reminds me specifically of Amanda Woodward or City of Caterpillar etc.

Also, the drumming on this album is fucking insane.

Ha. I know what you're talking about. When I first heard it, I was thinking they must like post rock or something.
Alastor R.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zone wrote:
The last song sucked really badly. But overall the album was solid, a lot weaker than I thought it be given the strength of the first two songs. Lots of standout melodies, but its not really worth more than an occasional spin

Incredible how we keep reading so much bullshit on this forum. There's not much albums than can stand above all criticism, but WHTN definitely can. Songwriting, production, lyrics, execution, everything works perfect as a whole: this record doesn't have ONE SINGLE weak point. You have to be either deaf or don't understand one single bit about music if you say this is weak.
In Solitude

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

13 wrote:
Zone wrote:
The last song sucked really badly. But overall the album was solid, a lot weaker than I thought it be given the strength of the first two songs. Lots of standout melodies, but its not really worth more than an occasional spin

What.

Yeah, no words for that idiocy. Also, the spoken part in the beginning was indeed performed live. I think it has been put on YouTube.
NN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valgrinder wrote:
N. wrote:
Dodens Grav wrote:
Weren't you the one arguing that long hair gives you special powers?

Some sorcerers lost their powers when their hair was cute, true!

Hey N!

Next time when your sober, please count how many idiotic posts you made before passing out.

Mad

Last edited by NN on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntersinsnow wrote:

Not surprising to me at all, and it's not an isolated case imho, ie Ravenmoon Sanctuary sounds like French emo, Satans Sign Of War's LP like some old unreleased Orchid material (if they were drunk), etc... It's just that with most metalheads being so exclusive (or narrowminded, or prejudiced) with what they listen to, they tend to be unaware of other underground subgenres and the striking similarities they unintentionally share soundwise ... I doubt Mgla intended to come off this way though, haha.
Carpathian_Florist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revisiting this album. Passed it off at first, but now I can see it's hidden charm. Some seriously powerful black metal is being displayed here.
RottingGrandmaCorpse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Solitude wrote:
13 wrote:
Zone wrote:

What.

Yeah, no words for that idiocy. Also, the spoken part in the beginning was indeed performed live. I think it has been put on YouTube.

What. is right. The last song is the strongest, I think. Love the way it builds up.
Carpathian_Florist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something very heroic and triumphant about this album.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Page 19 of 19

Jump to: