P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Does keeping a band exclusive to yourself make a difference?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exitium

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Does keeping a band exclusive to yourself make a difference? Reply with quote

So, the wonderful pleasure of buying demo tapes of bands and being thrilled when you'd found an "overlooked gem". All of a sudden they become widely known and sign to a major label and then the pleasure of their exclusivity wanes entirely and they lose something unique that only seemed to apply when you didn't have to 'share' the band with others.

Has anyone experienced this with any particular bands?

Does the exclusive status of a band within underground metal make a difference to your experience of it?
Mz412

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really as long the Band won't change total for the Business.
TheUnborn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Does keeping a band exclusive to yourself make a differe Reply with quote

Exitium wrote:
So, the wonderful pleasure of buying demo tapes of bands and being thrilled when you'd found an "overlooked gem". All of a sudden they become widely known and sign to a major label and then the pleasure of their exclusivity wanes entirely and they lose something unique that only seemed to apply when you didn't have to 'share' the band with others.

Does the exclusive status of a band within underground metal make a difference to your experience of it?

I know what you're talking about, but it doesn't and shouldn't have anything to say. But yeah, it's a nice little personal feeling when you've discovered a band by yourself and it seems you're the only one knowing about them, sure. I feel the internet has killed off most of those occurrences though.

Last edited by TheUnborn on Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Kojiri

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think it was cool to like a band nobody else I knew liked back when I was like 14 years old and still growing my big boy hairs.

Life is too short to keep such insignificant secrets from people. If someone asks who I like, I tell them.

Keep the hate train rollin'
Nocturnal Deathstrike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always got demos of bands when they started... then all of a sudden they become kult / hyped / popular... like KATHARSIS, MOONBLOOD, REPUGNANT and so on.... When I was 16 I somewhat felt "cheated", ha ha ! I couldn┤t care less nowdays...
That┤s just how it goes... For every demo band which "made it" I own 10 demos of bands which went unnoticed or dissapeared !
Exitium

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whilst I couldn't care in the slightest who listens to bands I enjoy, there does seem something akin to a collector's feeling when they're lesser known. Not that the band's popularity does or should make a difference, but their lack of popularity does seem to add something interesting that I can't quite put my finger on.

An assumption of the band's attitude towards the listener perhaps? If only 100 people are listening to their only demo then one listener's contibution may mean a lot more to the band than being one in 50,000.

Either way, it's an interesting phenomenon. I'm just curious if anyone still gets like this at all, or feels that their experience may differ due to it being more 'private'.
Barghest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Does keeping a band exclusive to yourself make a differe Reply with quote

Exitium wrote:

I love finding a great new band to listen to, but I don't care if it seems like I'm one of a few or one of thousands. Makes no difference to the listening experience.

And I definitely don't revel in any perceived obscurity the band may have at the time I stumble across them. In fact, if I like an 'obscure' band (or label) enough, I'll try to distribute their releases to help give them more exposure.

Anyone who makes a big deal about a band's obscurity by deliberately not spreading the word is actually doing the very opposite of supporting the band. It's a shitty attitude. If an artist has released something, even in a small scale, it follows that they want exposure.

But does anyone really do this...? Not even tell their friends about some hidden gem they just discovered, just so they can feel elitist to themselves??? That's some ego trip!!
Exitium

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Does keeping a band exclusive to yourself make a differe Reply with quote

Barghest wrote:
But does anyone really do this...? Not even tell their friends about some hidden gem they just discovered, just so they can feel elitist to themselves??? That's some ego trip!!

I'd certainly like to know if someone actually actively goes out of their way to obscure bands.
HotBlack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vonfrost

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the point of of these discoveries was to spread the word? That's what i have done in the past 30 years, from making tapes for people to nowadays blogging/facebook about new bands...spread the word in hopes that other people will buy that demo/lp etc..... turn people onto the music/bands.
I think hoarding that obscure demo or whatever came along with the so called 'elite' or 'Kvlt' black metal scene like the LLN. Mind you some of these bands seem to want to be like that and may only press a handfull of their demos or vinyl but for the most part i think all bands want the fans to spread the word about their band?

https://www.facebook.com/vonfrost2
http://vonfrostrecords.storenvy.com/products
http://www.discogs.com/seller/jonvon/profile
WarInvocator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand how people used to do that while they were in school, because they didn't want their "kvlt" bands to get into the hands of posers, but it is completely redundant. Especially since we get older and realize the trouble that bands goe through to get their music out, so if I hear something really good, I'll want to spread it around and show everybody else how great the band is. So all metallers who still behave in the aforementioned manor shoul just grow the hell up.
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happens to me all the time these days it feels like. lots of bands i first heard when only released demos now are on major labels, or releasing full lengths with a huge following behind. don't really care that they're in the hands of the masses.

then there's also bands i see a lot of wanna be elitists whoring on youtube and facebook and think to myself "nobody cared about this band x years ago" but i guess whatever the flavor of the week happens to be right?
ADB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kojiri wrote:
I used to think it was cool to like a band nobody else I knew liked back when I was like 14 years old and still growing my big boy hairs.

Life is too short to keep such insignificant secrets from people. If someone asks who I like, I tell them.

Seconded, if I've also stumbled upon something I like that I think other people will get into I'll put them in the right direction for it too.

Also, how many bands do we like that are on major labels? Remember that there aren't actually that many major labels (Universal, Sony, Warner, EMI and maybe one or two more) and technically even Nuclear Blast is considered an independent
ADB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper's Grave wrote:
then there's also bands i see a lot of wanna be elitists whoring on youtube and facebook and think to myself "nobody cared about this band x years ago" but i guess whatever the flavor of the week happens to be right?

That's pretty much just a horseshit hipster attitude and the sooner metal fans stop behaving like this the better.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly I'd love it if I had more friends IRL that I could talk about grimm and frosty music with... I mean I see people at shows once in a blue moon and we gab about this and that but right now it's basically my brother and one other dude I see on a regular basis.

I wouldn't hold back from talking about things that excite me, EVER if people might be interested. Metal isn't exactly popular in the sense that some grimm dudes worry about, but enough people are into it that "hiding" something is pretty much fuckin' bullshit.... it's called the internet, look it up

...on the internet? Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: