P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Australian Post Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astralvesl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Australian Post Question Reply with quote

A friend of mine has been abroad in Australia for the past 6 months or so and has procured about 6 LPs that he's looking to ship back to the US instead of attempting to lug them through an airport or trust them in a suitcase. I know some of you run labels over there and I must admit when he first told me how much he thought it would cost (>90USD) I was shocked. He tells me he is just going through the standard postal service. Is he an idiot or does this sound like an average shipping cost? Any advice on the cheapest method of shipping from Australia to the US would be greatly appreciated.
Eiskrieg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian Post Question Reply with quote

astralvesl wrote:
A friend of mine has been abroad in Australia for the past 6 months or so and has procured about 6 LPs that he's looking to ship back to the US instead of attempting to lug them through an airport or trust them in a suitcase. I know some of you run labels over there and I must admit when he first told me how much he thought it would cost (>90USD) I was shocked. He tells me he is just going through the standard postal service. Is he an idiot or does this sound like an average shipping cost? Any advice on the cheapest method of shipping from Australia to the US would be greatly appreciated.

Why doesn't he just check the weight of the package against the shipping information on the Australian post website?

Also, it would be a lot easier to package them up as he would to send them back, and just put them in his carry on or in between clothing in the main suitcases. I've done that with booze and fags a number of times, and have never had any breakages. In fact I have done it with LPs as well coming back from festivals.
astralvesl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian Post Question Reply with quote

Eiskrieg wrote:

Why doesn't he just check the weight of the package against the shipping information on the Australian post website?

I'm under the impression that's what he did but I was wondering, since it seems to be so expensive, if using a private courier wouldn't be cheaper or maybe if there's a flat rate service. I've never ordered anything from Australia so I've had literally 0 experience with their postal system in the past.

In reference to putting them in a suitcase, that's the first thing I said as well as I've done the very same in the past. Apparently he had an album broken a year or two ago doing that though so whatever.
Eiskrieg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian Post Question Reply with quote

astralvesl wrote:
Eiskrieg wrote:

I'm under the impression that's what he did but I was wondering, since it seems to be so expensive, if using a private courier wouldn't be cheaper or maybe if there's a flat rate service. I've never ordered anything from Australia so I've had literally 0 experience with their postal system in the past.

In reference to putting them in a suitcase, that's the first thing I said as well as I've done the very same in the past. Apparently he had an album broken a year or two ago doing that though so whatever.

I'm guessing he didn't pack it very well. It is more likely to get broken in the mail if he doesn't package it properly, and cost him a lot of money in the process.
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'straya be 'spensive! There is an automatic $10 surcharge on overseas parcels, then the cost of postage.

you also have to bear in mind that $90 USD is about $85 AUD. 90 bucks goes a long way in the states, but it's not a huge amount of cash down here given that minimum wage is nearly 20 bucks an hour.

Looking on the Australia post website, for a 5 kg parcel it's quoting $111. See for yourself: http://auspost.com.au/products-and-services/postage-assessment-calculator.html

I had a look at interparcel.com.au, which is a ups contractor - prices are about the same.

Last edited by Heirophant.326.AV on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
DM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought approx 20 LPs back from Canada a couple years ago split between my suitcase and carry on and it was fine. I packed the records as if I was shipping them (ie in a couple of mailers) and squeezed them into my suitcase, way better than forking out for postage.
samsquanch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 lps? Put them in a plastic bag and carry them onto the flight as hand luggage.

Oh... and I shall await the thread 'What are the best plastic bags to put records in?'
Astaroth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samsquanch wrote:
6 lps? Put them in a plastic bag and carry them onto the flight as hand luggage.

Do this.
Blood and Thunder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can reiterate the excessive cost. Where do ppl think we are? And yes,get a nice box and take themon the plane. All too easy.
Then the devil must...

http://www.blackmetalrevolution.com/preview.html
http://www.blackmetalrevolution.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/bmrevolution
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: