P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Consciously overpaid for a record?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Consciously overpaid for a record? Reply with quote

How many have done it?

Have done it a few times myself, not massively overpaid, but got sick of searching for good copies of a few lps like Bathory s/t and just bought a good one when I had the chance for a bit more money - paid about £30 for it but it was in NM condition.
SoundsOfDecay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose, but I wouldn't say "overpaid" if I thought it was worth it.
The_Elite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure, if it means getting my hands on a great condition copy as and when I want it of course I'll overpay. Not really a problem. I'm certainly not one of these people who waits and waits and waits because they won't dare spend over £20 on an lp.
Mikael

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many times, especially when I've bought multiple records at the same time. I'd rather overpay for one record and get multiple records from one seller than seek a bit cheaper copy later.
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Elite wrote:
For sure, if it means getting my hands on a great condition copy as and when I want it of course I'll overpay. Not really a problem. I'm certainly not one of these people who waits and waits and waits because they won't dare spend over £20 on an lp.

+1

I'm pretty much down to about £50-£100 a month on records. all my wants are old records that really aren't rare or expensive, most are about €10-€30s worth. I'm not patient enough to wait around forever and ever. If the condition is EX or NM I'll happily enough give a few quid extra.
Bach

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael wrote:
Many times, especially when I've bought multiple records at the same time. I'd rather overpay for one record and get multiple records from one seller than seek a bit cheaper copy later.

I'm about the same. I try to buy collections as much as possible. Usually it starts out that someone has one record I like - then I ask what else the person has...usually I come out better by buying a bunch of stuff at once.
Cacique

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Consciously overpaid for a record? Reply with quote

Weltering in Blood wrote:
How many have done it?

Have done it a few times myself, not massively overpaid, but got sick of searching for good copies of a few lps like Bathory s/t and just bought a good one when I had the chance for a bit more money - paid about £30 for it but it was in NM condition.

Do you mean first press?
Well, I don't see the "overpaid" anywhere, I think it's more than fair price, most of jews today will sell it for more than 70€ though, overpaid means 1,000€ or more imo
DemonWitchChild

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only as gifts. I paid far too much for a mono copy of The Beatles Sargent Pepper's for my father-in-law.

For myself: never.

I've sold plenty that I thought went for ridiculous sums...
bherstuk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never spent more than $30AUD altogether on a single record.

Original pressing of Drawing Down the Moon for $5 was a great day until I had the sticky bit on the plastic sleeve rip the cover...
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid 100 USD for the Mystifier box set....no die hard. I know it goes for that, but still WHY THE FUCK DIDNT I BUY IT WHEN IT CAME OUT!!!!
xyosefx

Location: We lived among the people. I think you say "convenience store." We lived above it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jameswolfe wrote:
I paid 100 USD for the Mystifier box set....no die hard. I know it goes for that, but still WHY THE FUCK DIDNT I BUY IT WHEN IT CAME OUT!!!!

Damn... the regulars sat around for a few years, too.

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Chicken_Dance

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it for super rare stuff that I know I'll probably never see again. Luckily most of them are not "kult" and so the prices have not been pushed up because of ebay.
hell_krieger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some guy from metal archives bought MJÖLNIR - Hinweg über die Tore der Zeit - CD for $60 few years ago...most expensive cd purchase i've ever made.
captainretardo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you mean by "overpaying," but if something falls in your lap that you've been wanting forever, and it's in EX/NM, why not pay an extra $20 or whatever? That $20 ought to be worth the having the record NOW, instead of scouring used shops/egay/internet forums etc for a long time, looking for it at a steal price. If it's something I really want, I have no problem paying a slight premium from time to time, assuming it's a high-priority want and is in killer condition. Sometimes you just gotta bit the bullet and get the shit you want.
probert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh when i bought the dementia 7" for 5 dollars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: