P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Spite Extreme Wing appreciation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acid Orgy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWO wrote:
bumping this.

Did they ever play live?

Do any interviews exist?

Doubting they ever played live, but never hurt to ask.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think so, the live pictures of Argento with facepaint should be when he played session guitar for Hiems:
https://www.facebook.com/HiemsOfficial/photos/a.10151798707736117.1073741825.144361176116/10151814450536117/?type=3&theater

There are (were?) a LOT of SEW interviews online when they were the "flavour of the day" in Italy, but probably all of them were in italian.

To be honest his interviews with SEW (and with Antropofagus before) were enough to me to stay away from his music.

NWN PROD wrote:
Hipsters only buy the latest limited black metal stuff and stay clear of real stuff like Sodom and Nuclear Death.
AmaLurra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the photo I saw so thanks for clearing that one up! Others are up on last.fm from the same gig, I think.

Curious that the SEW facebook page (is it official?) has been updated in 2017 few times.
Sinvocation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible band, and as criminally overlooked as bands come, it seems. Perhaps their right-wing/crypto-fascist leanings were enough to keep them from being as accessible as their sound would otherwise permit in the underground-turned-funderground.

Their sound is a unique and potent synthesis of every element I cherish in European black metal as a whole; from the Nordic to the Hellenic scenes, despite resembling neither one at all. Incredible sense of riff-craft, grand melody, songwriting, and sheer powerful spirit. Non Dvcor, Dvco is their masterpiece in my opinion, but their entire discography is incredible.
Warfare Noise

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinvocation wrote:
Incredible band, and as criminally overlooked as bands come, it seems. Perhaps their right-wing/crypto-fascist leanings were enough to keep them from being as accessible as their sound would otherwise permit in the underground-turned-funderground.

Their sound is a unique and potent synthesis of every element I cherish in European black metal as a whole; from the Nordic to the Hellenic scenes, despite resembling neither one at all. Incredible sense of riff-craft, grand melody, songwriting, and sheer powerful spirit. Non Dvcor, Dvco is their masterpiece in my opinion, but their entire discography is incredible.

Mostly agree w/ everything here except the bit about "right-wing/crypto-fascist leanings" as this didnt seem to hold back an other bands during the politically tolerant 00s. I just assumed it was a font/layout/logo keeping ND,D from being taken as seriously. If it had been on Sombre, EAL, NH, NED, what have you with a more traditional layout I think it would have much higher profile.

Brilliant record. One of the best of the decade for certain.
Sinvocation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, come to think of it, you're right. Being on the wrong side of history - ideologically speaking - wasn't nearly as stigmatized in extreme metal at that time. In fact, it seemed to add to certain bands' charm in a sense, during those years. Arghoslent is a perfect example. In fact, now that I think about it, I would call SEW the black metal counterpart of Arghoslent, haha. Only slightly in sound, but completely the same in aura and spirit.

It might have just been a lack of promotion/distribution, and the unorthodox band name which never inspired people to look further. For their final album being released on Avantgarde Music, you would think somehow they'd be getting the posthumous praise they deserve, but I have always seen this band seldom talked about, even by people with what I would deem "seasoned taste", haha. It baffles me.

And I happen to be listening to "In su la vetta" right now, and I have to make special mention of that melodic, acoustic-tinged break in the middle, followed by that riff at 6:22. I think that's the most triumphant sounding riff ever written. I'm not one to readily make lofty claims, but if I had to narrow it down, this album and band easily sit in the "top five" echelon of all black metal for me.
tagradh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the fact that the band name isn't particularly great and doesn't really give away the genre had far more to do with the lack of notice than the lyrics.

It's a shame there aren't more bands that do the triumphant/melancholic kinda sound well. Most that come near to it are cheesy as fuck.
WolfkultReligion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagradh wrote:
I'm sure the fact that the band name isn't particularly great and doesn't really give away the genre had far more to do with the lack of notice than the lyrics.

It's a shame there aren't more bands that do the triumphant/melancholic kinda sound well. Most that come near to it are cheesy as fuck.

Exactly. The bandname kept me from checking them before, but I picked up a copy of their vltra LP last year. Really great band and underrated as someone else here already stated.
AmaLurra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://spiteextremewing.bandcamp.com/album/black-metal-invitta-armata-compilazione

Seems the band has arisen, at least in the contactable sense.
MezzoForte

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great news if the band is now active again. But I just checked out the new remastered "digital edition" of Non Dvcor, and IMO it sounds awful. Hyper warm vacuum sound with obnoxious highs.
Hidden38

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need Magnificat vinyl reissue, magical release and an old favorite of mine. Also, whats up with the question mark in the topic title? Spite Extreme Wing appreciation? Iím Ron Burgundy?
CR99

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember I bought the demo from Drakkar via snail mail and somehow thought they were finnish. Excellent demo with some truly remarkable drumming and bass playing. I guess I should check the rest, I think I had Non Dvcor, Dvco when it came out but didn't think much of it...time for a revisit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: