P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Recent movies you watched/bought
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 837, 838, 839 ... 874, 875, 876  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Logghi Barogghi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head Hunter.

What a borderline turd, surprisingly. If you've seen the trailer, you've essentially seen the film.

Simple premise, simple story, beautiful cinematography and locale. Looks violent, it's not. Looks horror/periods piece, it's not. Looks awesome, it's not.

Should've been a 20 minute short, and probably was, and someone couldn't help themselves and just added 60 minutes of pure unadulterated filler, because the films premise can be outlined in less than 12 words. There's little here but implied violence, main character putting on his horseshoe crab meets predator Halloween mask and walking back and forth with occasional implied Middle Earth fantasy tropes worn out by GOT and the Tolkien trilogy of films.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windofpain wrote:
cochino wrote:
It was probably not just that. Whenever Americans make a movie or a show about any issues in a foreign country, they're always depicted as a collective failure with only certain individualities to work as a counterbalance. It has more implications than simple "narrative reasons".

i agree with you mostly, but I didn't explain it very well. the creator was more articulate in his explanation than I was.

You explained it well enough. That's exactly what the creators said in the behind the episode things. Basically, there were many people working to figure out what happened and contain the disaster as best as possible, but for narrative cohesion, the represented them with one character.
Dismal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logghi Barogghi wrote:
Head Hunter.

What a borderline turd, surprisingly. If you've seen the trailer, you've essentially seen the film.

Simple premise, simple story, beautiful cinematography and locale. Looks violent, it's not. Looks horror/periods piece, it's not. Looks awesome, it's not.

Should've been a 20 minute short, and probably was, and someone couldn't help themselves and just added 60 minutes of pure unadulterated filler, because the films premise can be outlined in less than 12 words. There's little here but implied violence, main character putting on his horseshoe crab meets predator Halloween mask and walking back and forth with occasional implied Middle Earth fantasy tropes worn out by GOT and the Tolkien trilogy of films.

I agree.

Very misleading trailer in fact. Agreed about the cinematography too.

I'm currently doing night shifts and watched it the night before a shift, thinking it would keep me awake due to the violence etc...nope.

I've watched the new series of Black Mirror. The 3 episodes anyway.

Kind of crap unfortunately. I used to really enjoy this programme, but apart from the second one ( set in the UK) I think they were kind of shit.

I'm probably being biased, but from what I can recall I think I prefer the UK set ones-grimier, bleaking etc.

The last one with Miley Cyrus was actually shit. Poor pop stars!
cochino

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
windofpain wrote:
cochino wrote:
It was probably not just that. Whenever Americans make a movie or a show about any issues in a foreign country, they're always depicted as a collective failure with only certain individualities to work as a counterbalance. It has more implications than simple "narrative reasons".

i agree with you mostly, but I didn't explain it very well. the creator was more articulate in his explanation than I was.

You explained it well enough. That's exactly what the creators said in the behind the episode things. Basically, there were many people working to figure out what happened and contain the disaster as best as possible, but for narrative cohesion, the represented them with one character.
Yeah, that's what they always say, but at the same time they have absolutely no issues in showing the "bad guys" as a collective. Maybe the writer himself isn't quite aware of it, because TV writers are extremely dependent on whatever formulas they're taught on school, and that's why pretty much all American shows start feeling the same as the seasons go on, but I think it's important as a viewer to be aware of this kinda stuff (which doesn't mean not liking/enjoying the show).
axebix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point cochino.
bitewerks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fulci's Zombie this past Saturday night along with Tales from the Darkside: The Movie.

Read a couple reviews of Blue Underground's new blu release of New York Ripper. Can't wait to see that and Arrow's City of the Living Dead once I get a new machine that plays everything.
A. Chimendez

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pororoca (2017)
Pretty intensely bleak Romanian movie about a child going missing and the family plunging into despair and desperation because of it. The entire movie centers around the father and the viewer is never taken away from what he's experiencing. There are lots of long single-take shots that really make the stress feel real. The ending is fantastic. Not an uplifting movie and I mean that as praise.
legnadibrom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hidden38 wrote:
Can I get some help identifying this horror movie/short film?

I remember the basic premise being that a Halloween house party is joined by two unwelcome/unknown guests who begin killing everyone at the party (plenty of blood throughout). It is revealed that the two murderers are actually aliens whos ship has crash-landed nearby. I believe this was played on HBO, only because regular TV at the time would not show such unedited violence/gore. 10 NWN internet points for any user that can help! Missing Link or Widdershins maybe? Panzer General...?

sounds like an episode of the HBO show "Perversions Of Science,"

--In the 1930s, Bob (Jason Lee) and John (Jamie Kennedy) are among a number of people at a Halloween costume party trying to deal with the panic caused by a fictionalized version of the Orson Welles Mercury Theatre production of The War of the Worlds as people start turning up dead. --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtjHQqAY0xc
Widdershins

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legnadibrom wrote:
Hidden38 wrote:

I remember the basic premise being that a Halloween house party is joined by two unwelcome/unknown guests who begin killing everyone at the party (plenty of blood throughout). It is revealed that the two murderers are actually aliens whos ship has crash-landed nearby. I believe this was played on HBO, only because regular TV at the time would not show such unedited violence/gore. 10 NWN internet points for any user that can help! Missing Link or Widdershins maybe? Panzer General...?

--In the 1930s, Bob (Jason Lee) and John (Jamie Kennedy) are among a number of people at a Halloween costume party trying to deal with the panic caused by a fictionalized version of the Orson Welles Mercury Theatre production of The War of the Worlds as people start turning up dead. --

Damn, good work. Never seen or heard of this...

Ended up with a copy of the special edition blu ray/dvd of The Cat o' Nine Tails, even though it's apparently Argento's least favorite of all of his films I still enjoyed it. Somewhat predictable though, the XYY chromosome concept, the killer and whole premise no where near as interesting as in his other classics but still good, but not one I'll watch over and over like many of his other movies. Going to revisit though to see how it sits with me a second time..

Also watched uncensored version of Caligula not too long ago, still excellent. Hail ass fanatic Tinto Brass!

Chaos Cascade / Putrescent Fog: Nuclear Cremation / Post-Mortal Desecrator tape
cochino

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think The Cat o' Nine Tails is the only Argento movie I've seen only once (of the ones I actually liked, of course. I'm not ever watching shit like The Card Player again), and I even think it was the very first Argento I watched, on a rented VHS about 15 years ago or so. Yeah, we were late on the whole DVD revolution down here.
Hidden38

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Widdershins wrote:
legnadibrom wrote:
Hidden38 wrote:

Damn, good work. Never seen or heard of this...

WOW great work indeed!!! Thank you for finding this, I have tried to explain this show to multiple people and always came up dry. You are master class my friend.

Im a little disappointed in myself for not remembering that Jason Lee was one of the antagonists! Hes accurate with that fire-poker, but hes absolutely deadly with chocolate pretzels Laughing
axebix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched Haxan while listening to Abominations of Desolation, Divus De Mortuus (title track kicked in at the best scene, the sabbath were demons are bashing drums and playing flutes) and Cultes des Ghoules first album.
(((OdiumNostrum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are some Refn fans here so just a heads up, his first dive into the world of TV (Too Old to Die Young) is "available" online. I am sure it will be humble and not self-indulging at all Very Happy
cochino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(((OdiumNostrum wrote:
I know there are some Refn fans here so just a heads up, his first dive into the world of TV (Too Old to Die Young) is "available" online. I am sure it will be humble and not self-indulging at all Very Happy
Actually, it's not his first TV work. He directed a couple of episodes of Miss Marple Cool
This could go either way, since both Refn and Brubaker have been hit or miss for me. Let's hope they both were at the top of their game for this.
(((OdiumNostrum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochino wrote:
Actually, it's not his first TV work. He directed a couple of episodes of Miss Marple Cool
This could go either way, since both Refn and Brubaker have been hit or miss for me. Let's hope they both were at the top of their game for this.

Haha good catch, I did some reading about that and it seems he is ashamed of the Miss Marple gig, I don't blame him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 837, 838, 839 ... 874, 875, 876  Next
Page 838 of 876

Jump to: