P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Recent movies you watched/bought
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 133, 134, 135 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck W. wrote:

Game of Thrones seasons 1-4 I am actually 3 episodes shy of completing 4, but as it stands this is a piss poor excuse for fantasy sword and sorcery, it is just a post modern soap opera but isn't too different from The Sopranos or Breaking Bad. The armor design, swords, fighting and gore are really fucking cool, the acting as with all HBO is top notch and makes it far more interesting than it should be. But the giants, ice demons and everything the show should be focusing on only comes in 1 minute spurts a season, I don't know if I have 10 years to see the show finally go from soap opera to somewhat generic fantasy. I will watch but I am actually interested in reading some other fantasy again like Brak Man Morn, The Worm Ouroboros, The Iliad, The Lord of The Rings series and anything else recommended 3/5

If you think "giants, ice demons etc are what the show SHOULD be focusing on" you've missed the point completely IMO. They are really only an afterthought/plot device subsidiary to the idea "what would politics be like if all that shit was real". In that sense I think it's an excellent show because unlike almost all fantasy it asks some realistic questions - how would you pay for all that shit? Who has to pay taxes? How do you feed an army in the field? What do you do if you have an unstable leader making bad decisions? If you approach it from that angle rather than expecting the usual heroic fantasy stuff it's very well thought out.
mithrandir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the show is gay, the books is where its at, its low magic fantasy though so the frost giants are kept to a minimum
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mithrandir wrote:
the show is gay, the books is where its at, its low magic fantasy though so the frost giants are kept to a minimum

Yeah, although I thought the last one dragged a bit...thing was thicker than a loaf of bread haha
Chuck W.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've definitely picked up on all of that as I did watch and am continuing to watch it, the only slice of story I give a fuck about at this point is The Hound, I like spaghetti westerns and anti-hero stuff so he is a pretty good character. The rest of the show comes off as an exercise in who can be the biggest asshole until someone cuts their throat, its loaded to the gills in payoff in that department, it's an entertaining show without a doubt, but not enough giants, corpse horses and ice demons for my liking. It does go into a big of real world applied to fantasy what if's but none of the mechanics anything are fully delved into, just people mentioning these things in passing before the next soap operatic angry turn towards the camera then back maneuver.

The Raid 2 is a damn fine piece of action cinema, but I still think it's a more joyless take on the Takashi Miike approach (by that I mean Miike has fun with every little inch and detail of his action crime movies while Gareth Evans just drones through the motions until the next fight). I liked the original because it DIDN'T have all the shit part 2 had, it was such a minimalist mean little ugly fucker of an action flick. I say the original is the revolution in action, the sequel takes it back a notch.

I'm selling a shitload of records and CDs from my collection http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44647
axe.crazy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great list

http://horrornews.net/3179/list-asian-cat-iii-films-category-3-extreme-horror-hardcore-violence-grindcore/

Storenvy
Blogspot
Soundcloud
DFP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heirophant.326.AV wrote:
If you think "giants, ice demons etc are what the show SHOULD be focusing on" you've missed the point completely IMO. They are really only an afterthought/plot device subsidiary to the idea "what would politics be like if all that shit was real". In that sense I think it's an excellent show because unlike almost all fantasy it asks some realistic questions - how would you pay for all that shit? Who has to pay taxes? How do you feed an army in the field? What do you do if you have an unstable leader making bad decisions? If you approach it from that angle rather than expecting the usual heroic fantasy stuff it's very well thought out.

Well, if THAT is the main focus of the series, then I am glad I missed the point completely - because in my opinion, this is exactly what you DON'T want to see/know/bother with Heroic Fantasy (that's also why it is called fantasy and not realism).

PS: Some of you guys can't quote.
Sunnportal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buried In Ohio wrote:
Sunnportal wrote:
everything that would make Fantasy great (battles, creatures etc.) is either happening in the off or done with outdated CGI, so the producers can keep costs low.

As far as TV shows go Game of Thrones has a massive budget. Even still it pales in comparison to the budget your average hollywood feature film has. As awesome as it would be to show all the cool fantasy elements going on in the story it's simply not possible for a TV show to do this, even one fully backed by HBO.

You quoted the wrong person but yeah.
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

axe.crazy wrote:
Great list

http://horrornews.net/3179/list-asian-cat-iii-films-category-3-extreme-horror-hardcore-violence-grindcore/

I don't like this list. For me, only Hong Kong exploitation should be included in the CAT III category and not Japanese films like some from the Guinea Pig series or some pinku eiga for instance.

A better list: http://crudedude.net/cat3/

You're welcome.
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DFP wrote:
Heirophant.326.AV wrote:

Well, if THAT is the main focus of the series, then I am glad I missed the point completely - because in my opinion, this is exactly what you DON'T want to see/know/bother with Heroic Fantasy (that's also why it is called fantasy and not realism).

PS: Some of you guys can't quote.

Yeah, fucked up the quote. Sorry.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to have a go or be a smartarse. It would be cool if there WAS a full-on Frank Frazetta style heroic fantasy series that took it's source material and it's ethos seriously. I would love that shit to pieces if it was done well. But as an adaptation of the books, AGOT is really very faithful - even in the books, you don't really "see" much in terms of action sequences first hand, and most of it is concerned with the politics. And it's decidedly un-heroic in the sense that what it tries to do is ask "If this shit were real, what would it be like to be an ordinary person in that world". In that sense it owes more to Barbara Tuchman's "A distant mirror - the calamitous 14th century" with it's burnt villages, plagues, disasters, exorbitant taxes to fund private wars between nobles, political infighting etc etc than it does to Conan or Elric. You could take all the Dragons and Giants out and still have a very good series about "I swear it's not the Wars of the Roses".

I love that shit because it's a very convincing piece of world-building in the same way the Dune series is - it goes into exhaustive detail about all sorts of facets of that world. But for the same reason a lot of people find the Dune books really meandering and bogged down in detail which contributes little to the plot advancement, if you want "the pay off", it's a long time coming (and I'm not convinced it will be anything spectacular after reading all the way to the end of the latest book). As always, your mileage may vary as they say.
satanic ritual abuse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dismal wrote:
Urfe wrote:
Watched "The Devils" last night, rather interesting movie.

Classic. Oliver Reed was excellent. Which 'cut' did you watch?

Check out the book The Devils of Loudun by Aldous Huxley too.

I bought The Devils of Loudon recently, "mass possession & sexual hysteria", sounds like my kinda book Wink
axe.crazy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haunt In The Dark wrote:
axe.crazy wrote:
Great list

I don't like this list. For me, only Hong Kong exploitation should be included in the CAT III category and not Japanese films like some from the Guinea Pig series or some pinku eiga for instance.

A better list: http://crudedude.net/cat3/

You're welcome.

Yeah, I really dont care about the CAT III things but your list is better.

Anthony Wong rules!

Storenvy
Blogspot
Soundcloud
Hallucinogen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mithrandir wrote:
Definitely. The fact that magic and monsters are sort of being kept on the edge of what is real actually make them much more enchanting when they do appear.
Evil Fifi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nichts wrote:
ChrisWitchhammer wrote:
Tireheb wrote:
Alien: Resurrection. Was worse than I remembered.

So I had to take a fix with the original three films afterwards.

That movie was awful, a desperate attempt to ressurect a franchise that should have been left alone. The other films, including Alien 3, are perfect movies in my book.

I don't know... Aliens was practically a comedy.
In my opinion, the original is the masterpiece... and the only one that actually gave the feeling of true terror and isolation.

+1. It's alien and after that nothing.

Watched:
Sabotage: disappointing piece of crap.
36th chamber of shaolin: guess you know the deal.
Raid 2: this gets a lot of high praise. I thought it was much too long, too artsy with a boring mafia background story. Some good fights. Stick with the 1st raid movie and you'll be fine.
4th season of walking dead: I love me daily zombie soap.
SoundsOfDecay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nichts wrote:
ChrisWitchhammer wrote:
Tireheb wrote:
Alien: Resurrection. Was worse than I remembered.

So I had to take a fix with the original three films afterwards.

That movie was awful, a desperate attempt to ressurect a franchise that should have been left alone. The other films, including Alien 3, are perfect movies in my book.

I don't know... Aliens was practically a comedy.
In my opinion, the original is the masterpiece... and the only one that actually gave the feeling of true terror and isolation.

The first 2 are where its at for me. First one is a masterpiece of horror, and the 2nd blends horror with action superbly. 3rd one was a bit dull, felt like a rehash of the 1st.
VoKu HiLa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarmush's "Only Lovers Left Alive". Great premise, super acting and well written. Best thing I've seen in a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 133, 134, 135 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 134 of 157

Jump to: