P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Recent movies you watched/bought
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 547, 548, 549 ... 554, 555, 556  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
candlesmoke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feuersturm wrote:
... In the beginning, what kind of police officer lets a woman just walk over him like that? What was that about?

I guess she simply played the right cards.. you know how powerful the racist label is these days in Western societies (I suppose especially in the U.S.?) and how people go to great lengths to avoid it being pinned on them.

Anyone seen the Mother! yet? Heard good things about it.
Mortado

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
Have any of you seen The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters? It's a documentary about the seedy underworld of Donkey Kong record holders. Came out 10 years ago and it's one of my favorites of all time.

Great film. I've seen Steve Weibe give talks at a couple of game shows and he's still bitter about the whole thing. Funny guy Smile

We went to Thor Ragnarok the other day and really dug it. Great escapist comedy.
Numerator41

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hills Have Eyes (1977)
I actually prefer the remake of this one, but it's still a fine film. No matter which version you watch, the sequence in which the father is burned alive, one daughter raped, and another shot along with her mother is pure brutality. Everything happens so quickly and with such impact that it's one of the most shocking scenes in horror.

The Iron Rose
Kind of meandering, dreamlike film that doesn't have much of a plot beyond a couple getting lost in a cemetery. Better than the other Rollin I've seen (The Living Dead Girl) but still not sure if I'm sold on his style.

Kapo
Italian holocaust film from 1960. Starts off pretty bleakly with the premise of a young girl betraying her people in a concentration camp to save herself through the privileges of becoming a kapo, but goes to shit in the last act with a melodramatic love story that comes out of thin air. Maybe watch it with The Night Porter for artsy holocaust stuff that pushes people's buttons...
LuiSlayer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deep Red by Dario Argento. Excellent movie!
Jewdozer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heaven Knows What- a look into the life of a heroin junkie in New York. It wouldn't normally stand out except that the girl playing the main character actually was a homeless drug addict for years before the directors discovered her on the street and asked her to write a memoir about her life. She did, they decided to turn it into a script and asked her to be the star. If you can stomach films like Requiem for a Dream give it a chance.
https://youtu.be/zxWMc7iHt8Q
DEADLIFT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dead Lands. Maori tribe wars revenge flick.
Luxixul Sumering

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched Monster few nights ago, movie based on Aileen Wuornous or however you spell her name. Decent film. 7.5/10

I reccomend it to anyone who likes drama/little action here n there type of flick, with a decent narrative.
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend I watched... wait what the hell did I watch again?

Oh right I have it right here, The Conjuring. They said it was one of the better things to happen to horror in a while, but they say a lot of things. Also, this is based on a true story. Sure the part about compulsively lying christian lunatics thinking they're ghost hunters is true and the rest is likely not true, but that's alright.

I kept thinking goddamn, this time let there be no kiddie ghost that befriends a child. We should be beyond that by now. Before I could let that thought sink in, there's a kid talking to his mom about his new invisible friend. Son of a bitch. You just couldn't resist could you? At least they didn't dwell on it and mostly made the movie about a case with the witch. But of course that is made pretty specific and personal too, which reveals a lot about the reasons behind and doesn't do a horror movie much good.

Remarkably, the child actors are not bad. Usually having this many children in the cast is a cinematic suicide. Cinemassacre! No, these fuckers are alright.

The paranormal stuff works far better before the movie takes away what you don't know and shows you here, look at this, this is the face of horror now. Feel the terror! I didn't feel the terror, but at least there was an underlying atmosphere of unease through most of the film. I'm not impressed by ghosts grabbing people by their hair and mopping the floor with the poor bastards however. You knew the possession was coming as well because they weren't going to not step right into the biggest cliches. Also, why don't families in movies ever see the massive financial gain there is in going public about undisputably verified supernatural events? Not to mention the contributions to science? Human history? Our perception of reality? Yeah, you're just glad it's over. No big deal or anything. The charlatans of Amityville did make a lot of money too by coming up with stories though, so there's that.

Wasn't that bad really, but there is demand for a haunted house story that does something new.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plowed through "Ozark" on netflix. Not perfect, but pretty damn good for a binge watch.

Currently watching Les Revenants/The Returned (French version) on Netflix. Two episodes in and I'm mighty intrigued.
Hallucinogen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feuersturm wrote:
Last weekend I watched... wait what the hell did I watch again?

Oh right I have it right here, The Conjuring. They said it was one of the better things to happen to horror in a while, but they say a lot of things. Also, this is based on a true story. Sure the part about compulsively lying christian lunatics thinking they're ghost hunters is true and the rest is likely not true, but that's alright.

I kept thinking goddamn, this time let there be no kiddie ghost that befriends a child. We should be beyond that by now. Before I could let that thought sink in, there's a kid talking to his mom about his new invisible friend. Son of a bitch. You just couldn't resist could you? At least they didn't dwell on it and mostly made the movie about a case with the witch. But of course that is made pretty specific and personal too, which reveals a lot about the reasons behind and doesn't do a horror movie much good.

Remarkably, the child actors are not bad. Usually having this many children in the cast is a cinematic suicide. Cinemassacre! No, these fuckers are alright.

The paranormal stuff works far better before the movie takes away what you don't know and shows you here, look at this, this is the face of horror now. Feel the terror! I didn't feel the terror, but at least there was an underlying atmosphere of unease through most of the film. I'm not impressed by ghosts grabbing people by their hair and mopping the floor with the poor bastards however. You knew the possession was coming as well because they weren't going to not step right into the biggest cliches. Also, why don't families in movies ever see the massive financial gain there is in going public about undisputably verified supernatural events? Not to mention the contributions to science? Human history? Our perception of reality? Yeah, you're just glad it's over. No big deal or anything. The charlatans of Amityville did make a lot of money too by coming up with stories though, so there's that.

Wasn't that bad really, but there is demand for a haunted house story that does something new.
The chair scene was decent unintentional comedy.
Jorm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade of the Immortal.

I wasn't aware of that adaptation until I saw a trailer online. As it is with other adaptations, I wasn't expecting much of it, but it is in fact pretty good. Of course the action is faster than it is in the comics, despite the 2h20 duration of the movie, and you don't really get to know the characters. Yet, everything that made the comic what it is remains here.

8/10
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mortado"]
blodhemn9 wrote:

Great film. I've seen Steve Weibe give talks at a couple of game shows and he's still bitter about the whole thing. Funny guy Smile

Haha, that's great! "daddy stop playing Donkey Kong! WIPE MY BUTT!!!"
MattBastard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Beast So Fierce - I was surprised by this one, really good film and the ending is pretty twisted.
Alcide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candlesmoke wrote:
Feuersturm wrote:
... In the beginning, what kind of police officer lets a woman just walk over him like that? What was that about?

I guess she simply played the right cards.. you know how powerful the racist label is these days in Western societies (I suppose especially in the U.S.?) and how people go to great lengths to avoid it being pinned on them.

Anyone seen the Mother! yet? Heard good things about it.

MOTHER! is something to be seen, which does not mean that it is good by the way, it is so devoid of subtlety in its message that I ended up speechless, and the violence in the last part of the movie is so outrageous it becomes almost hilarious (well I was laughing while the rest of the audience was protesting and wondering aloud what kind of movie they were seeing...)

So actually it was a tour de force to have a studio finance such a scenario and just for that reason, kudos... But, hell, some parts are so stupid that it defies belief (pun intended for those who have seen it...)...

Oh watch Jimmy Screamerclauz"s WHEN BLACK BIRDS FLY, if you can stomach the rather peculiar visuals... and consider how that movie is close to MOTHER! in some of its themes... I even advised Jimmy to consider sueing...
Logghi Barogghi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revisited a few older films...

Wake in Fright (1971) ---Little Australian film with a lingering feeling of deja vu and dread.

The Reflecting Skin (1990) ---when over use of symbolism and themes hit the screen and actually work. Love everything about this film. Re-watcing it reminded me I need to grab the DVD for the WS version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 547, 548, 549 ... 554, 555, 556  Next
Page 548 of 556

Jump to: