P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Recent movies you watched/bought
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 571, 572, 573 ... 680, 681, 682  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weinreinbringer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched The Enigma of Kasper Hauser (original title in German is "Jeder für sich und Gott gegen alle"), great film.

I haven't watched any other films by the director but Aguirre looks interesting and I will watch it soon.
Apparently Werner Herzog (the director) doesn't cast "conventional" actors in his movies but casts people who embody the character they are supposed to play, in this movie the person playing Kaspar Hauser was the son of a prostitute who was locked in a mental institution for 23 years. Bruno S, according to IMDB:"He was very difficult to work with, though, sometimes needing several hours of screaming before he could do a scene."
But in the movie itself he gives a very convincing, gentle and thoughtful performance. And his personal circumstances don't even matter to make this film work, since I only read about it after watching the movie.
Nolan_B

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weinreinbringer wrote:
Watched The Enigma of Kasper Hauser (original title in German is "Jeder für sich und Gott gegen alle"), great film.

I haven't watched any other films by the director but Aguirre looks interesting and I will watch it soon.
Apparently Werner Herzog (the director) doesn't cast "conventional" actors in his movies but casts people who embody the character they are supposed to play, in this movie the person playing Kaspar Hauser was the son of a prostitute who was locked in a mental institution for 23 years. Bruno S, according to IMDB:"He was very difficult to work with, though, sometimes needing several hours of screaming before he could do a scene."
But in the movie itself he gives a very convincing, gentle and thoughtful performance. And his personal circumstances don't even matter to make this film work, since I only read about it after watching the movie.

Bruno is great in Stroszek as well. Herzog's Kinski films are spectacular, especially Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo. His Nosferatu remake is dazzling visually.

He doesn't usually cast non-professional actors. Quite a few prolific actors in his most famous films. Bruno Ganz, Kinski of course, lots of Fassbinder regulars, Claudia Cardinale, etc... There are always unknowns but not as protagonists aside from Bruno S. If you like the idea of non-professional acting, Robert Bresson was famous for it and directed some of the most influential films of all time.
Grafmeester

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nolan_B wrote:
His Nosferatu remake is dazzling visually.

that's the one that had me sold, even after watching murnau's film and swearing by the latter. kinsky plays such an awkward and insanely creepy vampire. one of the best.
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was time to revisit Batman Begins. I hold this movie in high regard considering it's my favorite Batman next to the 1989 original, and it still holds up very well.
euroboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutcernismrow wrote:
Anyone else watch: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1733785/ (Bridge/Bron/Broen). The Danish/Swedish crime tv show?
Great stuff really.

Not yet but it features Kola Krauze from Isten.
The Missing Link

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grafmeester wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
His Nosferatu remake is dazzling visually.

that's the one that had me sold, even after watching murnau's film and swearing by the latter. kinsky plays such an awkward and insanely creepy vampire. one of the best.

Fitzcaraldo is also great.

Shirts: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/posting.php
skulv

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Christmas my brother bought me the Shout Factory Werner Herzog Boxset on Blu Ray so I'm going to be working my way through all those soon. I'd seen a handful already and even then he was one of my favorite filmmakers. Incredible power and dedication palpable in every shot! I recommend Heart of Glass.
candlesmoke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weinreinbringer wrote:

Great director!

I recommend his Herz aus Glas as well. Highly atmospheric and mesmerising, to say the least. Moreover, apparently during the shooting, almost every actor was under the state of hypnosis. Evil or Very Mad And it really shows..

Last edited by candlesmoke on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Evil Fifi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutcernismrow wrote:
Anyone else watch: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1733785/ (Bridge/Bron/Broen). The Danish/Swedish crime tv show?
Great stuff really.

Yes, like it as well. Waiting for a new season. But damn, I do hate that title theme.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weinreinbringer wrote:

Oh man, you've got a large rabbit hole to go down to get caught up on the genius that is Werner Herzog. His "normal" films are mostly great, but it's his documentaries that I love even more. There are a ton of them, and most are excellent. I could listen to that man narrate a shopping list for 6 hours and not tire of it.
Evil Fifi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hymnsoftheneedlefreak wrote:
blodhemn9 wrote:
Jaws is not so mainstream? What? It's one of the biggest and most well known movies of all time. It also invented the concept of the summer blockbuster. It's mainstream in every way possible, and it's a fucking masterpiece.

It's also one of the most effective movies of all time because people are still scared to swim in the ocean.

Can't beat that opening sequence.
Klown

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Έτερος Εγώ (The Other Me)
Pretty good try for the Hellenic cinema's standards. The film was withdrawn from theaters cause it "inspired" an actual killer 8/10

The Hitman's Bodyguard
Unexpectedly amusing, enjoyed every second 8/10

Captain Fantastic
Too "leftish" for me 6/10

Shot Caller
Great performance by Jaime Lannister, good film 6,5/10

Assassin's Creed
Waste of time, bad film 4/10

Saw: Legacy
OK, stop it! 4/10

Brawl in Cell Block 99
Fuckin' brutal! Yes, Vaughn can act! Go watch it NOW! 8,5/10

TH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of early classic David Cronenberg:
.Transfer
.From the drain
.Stereo
.Crimes of the future
.Shivers
.Rabid
.The Brood
.Scanners

Next one will be Videodrome.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skulv wrote:
For Christmas my brother bought me the Shout Factory Werner Herzog Boxset on Blu Ray so I'm going to be working my way through all those soon. I'd seen a handful already and even then he was one of my favorite filmmakers. Incredible power and dedication palpable in every shot! I recommend Heart of Glass.

Thanks for the heads up about this. I've seen almost all of the ones included, but own none of them except Nosferatu so I just put an Amazon gift card that I got for my birthday to good use and ordered it. Can't wait to dive in.
Hailstorms

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feuersturm wrote:
Ok what the fuck Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqh2Fve4Uzo

It's from 2006 and completely taken out of context by right wing internet hysteria. Those sinister generic soap opera stock synths at the end should make you suspicious about the actual narrative intended. Or you could just scroll down a little bit in the comments and check your sources.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 571, 572, 573 ... 680, 681, 682  Next
Page 572 of 682

Jump to: