P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Recent movies you watched/bought
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 657, 658, 659 ... 708, 709, 710  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Missing Link

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hereditary- anyone else draw Babadook comparisons?

Shirts: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/posting.php
peopleface

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochino wrote:
peopleface wrote:
cochino wrote:
Just came back from watching Hereditary. Talk about screwing the pooch in the last 15 minutes. Gonna say some mild spoilers, so you might wanna skip the next paragraph if you plan to watch the film, although I'd recommend just to skip the film alltogether.

Anyway, as soon as the main lady went to the other ladies house I thought "oh, they're pulling off a Rosemary's Baby" and sure thing, they did. Which would've been perfectly fine but the end "twist" or however you wanna call it is so fucking dumb and inconsecuential that actually breaks all the tension it built so well during the whole movie and in retrospect renders it all really, really dumb. The whole theatre where I watched it went completely silent and was pretty much 100% into the film all the way through until that ending where everybody just started laughing their asses off at how stupid it all was, and that's certainly not the reaction you want in a horror film. Nobody walked out of the movie, but a lot of people were complaining about the garbage ending while walking out, and they were 100% right. The most frustrating thing is that it was so good for most of it, I loved how you didn't know what the next scene was going to be, mixing up drama, supernatural and psychological horror with slow but really good pacing. The dude who made it is certainly a very good director, but I hope next time he gets some help with the script.

(POTENTIAL SPOILER FOR HEREDITARY)

sorry I can't really tell what you're talking about. I don't understand how the ending was exactly bad and I can't tell what "twist" you're talking about. When I watched it I didn't get horror from the ending but moreso disbelief at what I was looking at (which I liked). Like how over the top it was. Maybe a more predictable ending would have simply been holding this tension all the way through until the end

Actually, I felt quite the opposite. Seeing how they were planting all those Rosemary's Baby/Don't Look Now/Amytiville seeds all along the film, I expected something different as the payoff. And even if it was something in that vein, at least something that bared some sort of relation with the whole family drama we had been seeing for 2 hours and not such cliched crap that wasn't offbeat enough to surprise you nor it kept with the whole theme of the movie. It even felt like it went more for the jump scare and cheap shock value that it had been avoiding for the whole rest of the movie. It almost felt completely tacked on after a screentest or something. Not saying that's what actually happened, just how it felt for me. It was really disappointing that after such a subtle movie, with great acting and a great setup, the payoff was so pedestrian. Watching it again knowing what happens at the end would made it unbearable to me because I'd know how pointless everything is anyway. Such a fucking waste of Toni Collete's amazing performance.
Like I said, about 20 minutes in the movie had sucked in even the most chatty teenage assholes in the room, but the final stretch had everybody laughing out loud at how stupid and anticlimatic everything was. And anticlimatic can be good, like Night Of The Living Dead's ending for instance, but when you're making people laugh when you're supposed to scare them you know you screwed up. Sorry for the long rant but it was such a waste of a great movie that I feel really frustrated by the whole thing.

Fair enough I see where you're coming from but I still liked the end
cochino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logghi Barogghi wrote:
cochino wrote:
Just came back from watching Hereditary. Talk about screwing the pooch in the last 15 minutes. Gonna say some mild spoilers, so you might wanna skip the next paragraph if you plan to watch the film, although I'd recommend just to skip the film alltogether.

Anyway, as soon as the main lady went to the other ladies house I thought "oh, they're pulling off a Rosemary's Baby" and sure thing, they did. Which would've been perfectly fine but the end "twist" or however you wanna call it is so fucking dumb and inconsecuential that actually breaks all the tension it built so well during the whole movie and in retrospect renders it all really, really dumb. The whole theatre where I watched it went completely silent and was pretty much 100% into the film all the way through until that ending where everybody just started laughing their asses off at how stupid it all was, and that's certainly not the reaction you want in a horror film. Nobody walked out of the movie, but a lot of people were complaining about the garbage ending while walking out, and they were 100% right. The most frustrating thing is that it was so good for most of it, I loved how you didn't know what the next scene was going to be, mixing up drama, supernatural and psychological horror with slow but really good pacing. The dude who made it is certainly a very good director, but I hope next time he gets some help with the script.

Came away on the opposite end of the spectrum.

The tie ins to the Seal of Paimon' from the real-life 'spell book' The Lesser Key of Solomon was pretty cool. Anointing the brother for his "prepped" role [male] as the king, while removing the daughter's role, literally in her physical form is key; the pole that she hit had the symbol on it. [the symbolism is strewn about the film...i.e. ester egg style]. I would see this again, just to tidy up the scenes that are, post viewing, clues.

Sure, it's derivative in nature...I mean, it's a rarity to find anything that isn't based on...well...something else? I saw Kubrick almost immediately, then the Rosemary's Baby/possession type of films entered the fray, while some solid acting/family drama starts to fade into a final act that actually reminded me, in it's reveal, of the lesser known new-ish film A Dark Song. Killing of a Scared Deer also had a sacrificial element derived from Greek mythology that popped into my head.

There's a lot to digest with this film, and the director was clearly paying attention in film school. I also don't hold that against him for crafting a solid film. I wouldn't want to watch this in a full cinema with a bunch of "kids" with the attention span of a mosquito...they laugh, because they don't understand what's happening on the screen, imo.

I sat at first matinee screening, during the week, so there was about 25-30 people, and watched as some left...and the chatter of a few at the exit, was that it was not well received.

I watched The Witch with the same scenario a few years ago, and people were acting like idiots and some actually boo'ed half assedly to make a fool out of themselves I guess, because it didn't have enough spoon fed to them. The Witch is a fantastic film.

The stats on Rotten Tomatoes are telling:

Critics: 90%
Audience: 56%

People want their "slipknot horror' over well made films, they lazily call "arthouse film snobbery" and that's fine, I guess. Different Strokes.

Well, of course nothing comes out of nowhere and you can see many other films in any film you watch. The difference with the good ones is that they managed to do something different, while this one was just straight up Rosemary's Baby with no change at all, without any layers or anything. In all the dramatic scenes (which were great, thanks to Toni Collette's brilliant performance and the excellent ones by the rest of the cast as well), the movie seemed to be trying to say something, to go beyond your typical supernatural horror schlock to say something about modern family life or something, but at the end the director seemed to be using all of that simply as a red herring to deliver the lamest ending you could do for a movie like this. After aiming so high during the whole film, he ended it pretty much at the same level as The Conjuring or any of these recent possession/ghost films. It was like going home with the big titted chick only to find out she was wearing a push up bra.

And again, the audience was actually 100% into the movie, and that's why I think the ending felt so shitty for most of them, as it did for me. It was all completely silent, with the proper reactions throughout most of it, but then the director completely lost everyone at the end. I know that was the case for me. As soon as I saw that Jake Busey-looking guy giving the little girl that creepy look at the funeral, I was all in. I was convinced this was going to be a great one, and it was for 90% of it. The ending is just so pedestrian and lame that it cheapened the whole movie. It even washed away the point of the overbearing presence of the grandma even after her death, which seemed what the movie was aiming for. It was strangely clumsy and cheap, compared to how the rest of the movie was shot.

And regardless of all that, I just don't understand what the whole supposed "mindfuck" of the movie was. Like I said, it was just straight up Rosemary's Baby, and that movie is already 50 years old, and most people around here are into classics. I was enjoying all the little references throughout the movie because I was sure they weren't going to go down that road because it was too obvious, and then they did. So much wasted potential.
Hidden38

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The house in Hereditary is fucking gorgeous. Wood flooring, wood facia/molding accents on the walls, matching furniture to boot. After the paranormal shit passes im going to put in an offer on that house. Maybe I can get a big reduction given all the bullshit that happened Laughing

Iím even ok to take care of the corpse cleanup myself, as long as thats reflected in the final sale price! Assemble a cleanup crew of every dangerous piece of shit I know just in case any nakies are still hanging around, get that place move-in ready in no time!
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to stop looking at this thread because people keep spoiling Hereditary. So I have to bypass all mentions of it because I'm trying to go in blind and only one trailer watch.
Hidden38

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hymnsoftheneedlefreak wrote:
I had to stop looking at this thread because people keep spoiling Hereditary. So I have to bypass all mentions of it because I'm trying to go in blind and only one trailer watch.

Yeah dont even click this thread until you see it, I was able to avoid completely and it was certainly for the better.
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the movie is going to be good without any recommendation. I knew the same about The Witch, Goodnight Mommy, etc without ever seeing a single review. The trailer told me all I need to know. And Toni "always naked" Collette is a convincing actress.
Hidden38

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the movie is going to be good without any recommendation. I knew the same about The Witch, Goodnight Mommy, etc without ever seeing a single review. The trailer told me all I need to know. And Toni "always naked" Collette is a convincing actress.

I wont do ya dry by spoiling this for you bud. I will tell you that Toniís performance is amazing and theres a few scenes that will just churn your stomach from the insanity. And yes, would still bang.
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hidden38 wrote:

I wont do ya dry by spoiling this for you bud. I will tell you that Toniís performance is amazing and theres a few scenes that will just churn your stomach from the insanity. And yes, would still bang.

She's rocked a mean tree-bush in a few films so I have to give respect where respect is due.

Hidden 38, do yourself a favor and watch "We Need To Talk About Kevin." Report back with your thoughts.
Hidden38

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hidden38 wrote:

She's rocked a mean tree-bush in a few films so I have to give respect where respect is due.

Hidden 38, do yourself a favor and watch "We Need To Talk About Kevin." Report back with your thoughts.

Will do! I dont know the plot for that film, just that it has that ďTildaĒ lady in it. I will certainly give it a watch!
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think Ren and Stimpy meets The Cell.

Cool
swearengen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dude, you can not say things like "Ren & Stimpy meets The Cell" and then it does not live up to it. Control yourself.
Dismal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to watch Hereditary again this weekend.

SPOILERS I guess

Thinking back on it, only minor complaint was the exposition at the end, as another user pointed out, it was clear why it ended like that. I get that some thought the ending was obvious, or 'silly', yet I really liked it. I liked the atmosphere of surreal and hellish elation at the scene.

I saw it at 9:00 in the evening, on a Sunday and with only about 10 people (max) in the cinema and the atmosphere was very tense. Granted there was some sporadic laughter, but I thought it was more nervous/anxious laughter.

A very well made film, and definitely tense and disturbing throughout, despite the plot being familiar.
I can definitely see The Badabook, Rosemary's Baby, Kill List, A Dark Song,The witch in it. Not a bad thing at all in my books.

Oh, and Logghi Barogghi, nice A Field in England (?) avatar!
cochino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dismal wrote:
I think I'm going to watch Hereditary again this weekend.

SPOILERS I guess (...)

While I don't agree with you, this seems like a much more reasonable opinion on the film. Of course anybody can like it or not, but I don't think it warrants the "masterpiece" and "mindfuck" label so many people have been giving it. It's highly derivative and never really breaks that umbilical chord that ties it to those influences and while it seems to be kicking his way into a life of its own, it just ends up being a miscarriage that never truly develops.
Ough

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by Ough on Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 657, 658, 659 ... 708, 709, 710  Next
Page 658 of 710

Jump to: