P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Who here has pressed an LP with longer playing times?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalHell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Who here has pressed an LP with longer playing times? Reply with quote

Has anyone here made an LP with Pirates Press that has 24+ minutes per side?

The factory says they will do it but the overall mix will be quieter. Is this an actual problem other than having to turn up the volume on the stereo?

I find it odd their vinyl specs sheet says 7" 33 1/3 RPM have the worst sound of any vinyl format. I think most of my 7" collection are 33 1/3 RPM...
dronevil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a few records with 30 mins per side and they sound like crap.
SepticSchizo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Chasm spell of retribution and that sounds good, only needs more volum.

its 66 min long
eighthplague

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Cress 2LP that really feels like each side is close to 30 minutes and it sounds fine.
Dalen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SepticSchizo wrote:
I have the Chasm spell of retribution and that sounds good, only needs more volum.

its 66 min long

I don't wanna disappoint you, but I'm under the impression its CD version sounds better than the vinyl. I'm not totally sure though, I only own the CD.
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirates Press records sound like shit whatever their length is anyway.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haunt In The Dark wrote:

Isn't Pirates Press just a broker? I didn't think they actually press records themselves.
satanic ritual abuse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
i have a few records with 30 mins per side and they sound like crap.

+1
Shadow Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
Haunt In The Dark wrote:

Isn't Pirates Press just a broker? I didn't think they actually press records themselves.

Yes, GZ presses their records.

GZ pretty much puts out most of the records I get, they sound great.

Is there a better pressing plant out there?
INEXORABLE EXTERMINATION

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not just lower volume but degeneration of bass tones/whatnot...some examples that really suffered were say the SAMAEL "Medieval Prphecies" 7" with the 9+ minute version of "Into the Pentagram" it is thin as tissue paper and barely audible...and an old LP of my own old band had almost 20+ minutes per side and the audial deterioration was quite evident (ANGELCORPSE "Exterminate" LP)...however, for that steps are being taken to remedy the situation for the future...

Ha, it is the reason why many old albums going back to who knows when used to be rather short duration (30 minutes-ish) and the bands had the "big" songs as both the A and B side openers...by the time the record gets near the center while playing the grooves become so thin where those last couple of tracks on each side are that the sound starts to go...this has always been a natural pitfall for the vinyl format...i'm sure even modern pressing techniques/equipment run into limitations ....
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INEXORABLE EXTERMINATION wrote:
not just lower volume but degeneration of bass tones/whatnot...some examples that really suffered were say the SAMAEL "Medieval Prphecies" 7" with the 9+ minute version of "Into the Pentagram" it is thin as tissue paper and barely audible...and an old LP of my own old band had almost 20+ minutes per side and the audial deterioration was quite evident (ANGELCORPSE "Exterminate" LP)...however, for that steps are being taken to remedy the situation for the future...

Ha, it is the reason why many old albums going back to who knows when used to be rather short duration (30 minutes-ish) and the bands had the "big" songs as both the A and B side openers...by the time the record gets near the center while playing the grooves become so thin where those last couple of tracks on each side are that the sound starts to go...this has always been a natural pitfall for the vinyl format...i'm sure even modern pressing techniques/equipment run into limitations ....

This is pretty much it, but it also very much depends on where you're having your lp pressed. Old records like Maiden's Live After Death were pressed in professional plants and sound crushing despite being well over 25min per side, with Pirates press/GZ chances are it will be a disaster from a to z.
SepticSchizo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalen wrote:
SepticSchizo wrote:

its 66 min long

I don't wanna disappoint you, but I'm under the impression its CD version sounds better than the vinyl. I'm not totally sure though, I only own the CD.

Well, the CD version sounds just louder, anyway Im content with the vinyl but Im sure an audiophile would hear a difference.
NN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Who here has pressed an LP with longer playing times? Reply with quote

MetalHell wrote:
Has anyone here made an LP with Pirates Press that has 24+ minutes per side?

The factory says they will do it but the overall mix will be quieter. Is this an actual problem other than having to turn up the volume on the stereo?

I find it odd their vinyl specs sheet says 7" 33 1/3 RPM have the worst sound of any vinyl format. I think most of my 7" collection are 33 1/3 RPM...

It's not one ov the corners you want to cut, bro, if you can at all help it.
I dislike CDs but I would sooner just re-format your release for CD than do a 12" that runs much over 24:00.
it comes down to the aktual PHYSICAL AMOUNT OV PLASTIK
devoted to your sound waves.
The more stereo info you hav, the wider the grooves.
the shorter the duration, the higher the groove peaks.
You want to optimize the abov, not kompromise it.
The scratchy krinkle sounds ov stylus contact and other turntableisms become louder and louder relativ to the audio content you program until the music becomes a non-event sonikally.
I wanted the M.N.D.L.S.B.L.S.T.N.G. 12" to be long and exhausting so I programmed it as two 20:00 sides at 33 1/3 RPM.
I now wish I had cut 5:00 out ov each side and pressed it as two 15:00 sides at 45 RPM, like I did with the NEKROCIDAL KILLDEATH double LP.
Let me konklude by saying the difference in IMPAKT, BASS RESPONSE and the overall POWER ov your records playback quality is so much improved at 45 RPM, that I would rather okklude good material and meet that duration, than inklude it at a slower RPM.
I'll never do anything but 45 RPM if I can help it.
INSULTER knows this and that's why he re-rpgrammed the BLASPHEMY "Gods.." reissue onto TWO THICK MOTHERFUCKING BLACK, LOUD-ASS 45 RPM SLABS; it doesn't take an "audiophile"'es ear to detekt the diff.

Last edited by NN on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
NN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
Haunt In The Dark wrote:

Korrekt.
They're sort ov the liaison and INSURANCE policy that guarantees some guys you'll never meet in the Czech Republik DO get you your produkt, komplete and on time.
As for those who say that PP wax "sounds like shit" I wonder if they've been listening to some mastered-from-CD reissues or what, bekause I hav found that their DIRECT METAL MASTERING is fucking AWESOME --I hav been pushing the envelope with SUB BASS and other material that is acoustically challenging to kapture-- and their mastering guy has NAILED IT mor konsistently than any mastering entity I hav worked with yet. Exclamation
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Pirate Press is a broker and that they go through GZ. I just answered the OP.

I do think most stuff pressed through GZ sounds like shit though. And if it doesn't, it comes with sand in the dustsleeve, the cheapest-looking central labels ever or disgusting splattered-alien-diarrhea colours that trve national romantic nekro kvlt and sometimes bestial (but especially mediocre) black metal bands seem to love. I don't like any of this shit and if I hear a record I want has been pressed through GZ, I don't buy it.

And to answer the original question, I think record cutting and mastering are arts that have been lost with time?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: