P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Has collecting music lost its lustre for you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valgrinder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only trade or buy normal priced records, but never any "collector prices". So when after some years some records price go high, I might trade it to some other equal priced item that I want. Also buy some second hand records that has too low price, but dont buy them if price is already collector price.

So filling some discographies might take some years with that way, but its much more satisfacting.
Pestkrieg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love music, and I love the feeling of either

a) getting a new release from a band I love and working out how it fits together with and complements their other material
b) discovering a new band which gives me the same rushes and excitement which countless bands have given me over the years

I've never collected per se, other than trying to get all the music of bands I love, and the joy of new music is never ending. I do miss leafing through record stores and writing letters a bit, but ultimately the music matters more than the ephemera.

Tapes are great - somehow a tape can feel right for certain releases, like the latest Wulkanaz demo that Wohrt released
Vinyl is great - gazing at the Wrathprayer artwork, while the record spins hypnotically on the turntable, is great. Regardless of if everything is recorded digitally, vinyl still enhances certain frequencies which cd doesn't, and has a different sound, especially given different masters for both formats
Cds are great - convenient, cheap, great for checking out new music, nice sharp sound for when that is what is required

I sometimes wonder why people are so jaded.
krakentorso

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haunt In The Dark wrote:
I hardly ever look at record scores threads anymore nor care about "filling holes in my collection" with overpriced records. I'll leave that to the sad basement dwellers and internet warriors who don't anything more interesting to do with their lives.

I must admit that with growing income (I'm 34 now with a good job) I use the chance to fill holes in my collection and buy expensive 2nd hand records ALTHOUGH I am not a basement dweller or internet looser (as I have a normal everyday life, have friends, a girlfriend etc...) It gives me still some thrills to hunt down those and to erase them from my "list". in 9 out of 10 cases I know the records for many years, but want them on vinyl now as I have re-discovered my love for vinyl about 7 years ago (collected only vinyl from 91-94, then mostly bought CDs and few vinyl).

conclusion: hunting down records has not lost its lustre for me. that applies to record stores (if I find one, here in the wilderness, haha) and to internet.

opening a parcel with vinyl is still as exciting as it was 18 years ago.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haunt In The Dark wrote:
What ruined "record collecting" for me (even if I never considered myself a proper collector) is the fact that nowadays, a lot of people buy records to gain credibility or some kind of status within whatever community they belong to, be it digital or in real life. I know underage people who'll spend three times my rent in records each month in order to try to look cool to older lifers or people who actually know what they buy or listen to. Or sometimes they just do this to show off in record scores threads but wen you start discussing the music with them you realise they don't know shit about it. I'm not interested in that nor in those clowns. I hardly ever look at record scores threads anymore nor care about "filling holes in my collection" with overpriced records. I'll leave that to the sad basement dwellers and internet warriors who don't anything more interesting to do with their lives.

Agreed to a large extent, although personally I'd say that my main issue with buying new vinyl these days is the low quality of it. This was debated even recently in another thread, but to me music will always come first and I'm not gonna fork out 30 for a deluxe 2LP mastered at 45RPM including slipmat, pin, A3 poster if I know the goddamn thing is going to sound like crap anyway -which sadly is the case for most releases out there these days. Take a look at most threads and it's all about limitation/vinyl colour etc, proper musical discussion is like 20% of it -in the best scenario that is. To me that's what spoiled it for the main part.
Mz412

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy what i get and sell/trade when i feel i won't need it anymore, but the "fun" and "good feeling" reduced over the years, since this collector thing is too idiotic. Its nice to have some limited/first press stuff, but this 10xLim. 100 different edition got on my nerves and seems that the Priority goes more to the Collector Item than the Music. In the 90ties it was really shameful that the Ideology went more to Entertainment Music and now it went from Entertainment Music to Museum Item Confused For what should i play a Record, when there is a fucking downloadcard and for what should i buy both in the end, when i hear the music over a stream?. For me, it moved too much into a direction i don't like anymore. But this is in every Music Based Scene...
Bestialdaron

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: agree Reply with quote

i am TOTALLY agree with you doomerology.....i have often this discution with my friends and we are agree about this subject,the magic is gone...internet has messed everything. 90% of small discs stores has disappeared...and i think all the pleasure was exactly to find gemms in that kind of stores...serching in the dusty cases full of LP's till finding great pieces...
now I think things lacking flavor ...
Dalen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
I'm not gonna fork out 30 for a deluxe 2LP mastered at 45RPM including slipmat, pin, A3 poster if I know the goddamn thing is going to sound like crap anyway

40-45 is the most I've payed for stuff either way, unless it's some box set including extra releases. Even if I was rich, I don't think I would ever spend too much on a single record, there are 2-3 things I want and never go for low prices, but I keep on resisting. It wouldn't have a point otherwise. I would do it just for the sake of collecting.
asmael LeBouc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marketing tactics + frantic Consumerism + wireless internet = DEMISE

as said earlier most record shops have disappeared. Used to be the owner would call you when "the new Obituary is here man, it's rad! I have a dozen so hurry!" it's all gone now.
With limitations some stuffs disappear in less than an hour. Because everyone everywhere CAN be connected. I've bought limited releases on the web while driving, in the subway etc that's preposterous but heh...

In a way the "hunt" is crazier than before if you want some limited stuffs.

But the thrill of receiving these large flat parcels NEVER gets old.

Like many here I'm not a real collector. I just want the vinyls of the bands I like, one version suffices, if possible the best looking one, but otherwise no drama.
Some OOP stuffs are too expensive and I refuse to pay more than $50 for any record. Just waiting til it gets repressed, because eventually it will be. 90% of the time.

TRADE / WANT LIST ! ! ! :
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12006/
Good sellers/traders: ChapelOfDoom, thetrueevil/ GoldenBull, Hobophobic, NWN PROD
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I went into a record shop I go into every now and again that usually doesn't have much metal, the owner says "where have you been man, I've been holding something for you" and pulls out a NM/NM copy of Pleasure To Kill from 1986, a radio station copy that clearly never ever got played. Sold it to me for twenty bucks. Great "rush". What a nice awesome surprise.

Personally I do not care for the old days, standing in line to get money orders, waiting a month or two for records, etc. It was fine then, but I wouldn't want to go back to that.

These days there are good and bad elements - every fuckwit on the planet is convinced their shitty scratched LPs are worth a fortune so the market is "high" right now, but if there's a void in your collection and a seller on discogss nothing is too hard to come by. That part I like.

I went through a phase where I got burned on vinyl (plus real life obligations prevented me from buying everything I wanted) and I just grabbed CDs on the cheap. For the last couple of years I am totally back on buying records...

So in summation, I have neither lost my interest in the music or my desire to purchase bits of plastic and store them in my home.
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krakentorso wrote:
Haunt In The Dark wrote:
I hardly ever look at record scores threads anymore nor care about "filling holes in my collection" with overpriced records. I'll leave that to the sad basement dwellers and internet warriors who don't anything more interesting to do with their lives.

I must admit that with growing income (I'm 34 now with a good job) I use the chance to fill holes in my collection and buy expensive 2nd hand records ALTHOUGH I am not a basement dweller or internet looser (as I have a normal everyday life, have friends, a girlfriend etc...)

Priorities. If I had more money, I'd buy more records too, we can definitely agree with that. What I'm hinting at was more this crazy situation I witnessed on another messageboard a few weeks ago when some 21-year-old dude just started selling dozens of bonzers ($100+ records) from his collection (usually great records lots of people wish they could afford) because he had to move out of his parents' place and couldn't afford to pay for the first months of rent and whatnot for his first apartment. Dude works "in the food industry." I just find that mindblowing.

NK7 wrote:
. This was debated even recently in another thread, but to me music will always come first and I'm not gonna fork out 30 for a deluxe 2LP mastered at 45RPM including slipmat, pin, A3 poster

I don't get your problem except for the price and trinkets issues. A 2XLP pressed at 45RPM will sound much nicer than a single LP pressed at 33RPM. It's not always a matter of money, in this case it's a matter of sound. 45RPM allows wider grooves and more low-end (especially if the record is thick) so that's killer for death metal or doom for instance. Then if you press a decent amount of copies instead of a very few of them (to kvlt), it won't cost too much per piece. The problem is that metal is an endless pissing contest for people with inferiority complexes (and tiny dicks) so I'm not sure the day labels will understand they can make more money by pressing more records and selling them cheaper (because production costs allow that) instead of selling single copies of poorly made records for ridiculous prices in order to recoup the production costs (less copies pressed means you pay more per unit) will ever come. Wulkanaz got mentionned. I bought the new 7" limited to 111 copies that came out. It cost 4.50, didn't come with an insert and the cover is flimsy. Left a bitter taste in my mouth. Fortunately the music was alright and the label really fast and professional with communication and shipping. Anyway, "metal fans" should look into what records truly cost to make, refuse to buy anything that's been pressed to less than 500 copies and not support labels that use extra-musical arguments to sell their records. If you do, they're always making money on your back. Most labels not being proper businesses and run "for fun", these practices mean they're either knowingly trying to take your money to release useless records or fund their own personal fun because they refuse to work real jobs, and if they're proper businesses, then they're sellouts. Obviously there are exceptions and one has to take into account the gigantic sense of entitlement most people active within the metal scene tend to feel in general for whatever little thing they do, but yeah, I refuse to be part of that.

My apologies for the out-of-topic and poorly-worded rant.
Dalen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haunt In The Dark wrote:
I'm not sure the day labels will understand they can make more money by pressing more records and selling them cheaper (because production costs allow that)

I'm not sure about that. Most labels of that kind usually tend to be the ones that attract people's interest. So in the long run, they're making more money that way because their releases are wanted. People think "I HAVE TO get it, cos after it gets sold out I'll have to pay more".

Just think about the difference between pressing and distributing 500 normal priced records and selling on your own 200 more expensive ones, while people will be waiting for your next release. Next batch of 200 will sell faster, again.
LazerBeast

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back I really liked trying to get my hands on the rarest editions of releases and what not, but now I don't care. As long as I get the record I'm happy, I could care less what bells and whistles it comes with.
Worthless Joke

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collecting pieces of plastic becomes tedious. The music is what made it interesting and that part is almost dead.

It's the fans/collectors that must bring back the good music. Today the bands can only make good music for their own sake. Fans, labels, venues give them no reason to make good music.

They can work hard for years to make a great album, or put on a few extra spikes and make an album in an hour. The last possibility will gain more fans.

If people only buy good music and not the most cult, labels and venues will have to follow. That's the only way to make metal worthwhile again.
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The overly limited releases are the biggest problem of today. 20 years ago when there were just paper catalogs you could order pretty much anything and it would be in stock, even if the catalog was months old. Nowdays distros send out new release emails and by the time you get them half of the things are sold out. This is obviously not their fault, labels are trying way too hard to be "kvlt" or whatever, and half the people buying these things aren't fans of the music and just trying to make a profit. I used to get upset if I missed out on something I really wanted, but I'm pretty desensitized to the whole thing now.

I do agree with the people who don't miss the old days of sending money orders, waiting forever for things (if they showed up at all) and whatnot.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to love looking through used CDs/LPs, but what I cannot stand now is when something I find is slightly rare or out of print, the price gets jacked up because "That's what it sells for on ebay". Ok, you hold onto that LP/CD forever then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: