P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Thorns - Ærie Descent versions?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindsOfApocalypse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Thorns - Ærie Descent versions? Reply with quote

Does anyone know when/where the version of Ærie Descent featuring the organs and organ outro was recorded? I assume the version reissued on the Kyrck Prods compilation is from the Trondertun tape as it has the same sound and production as Funeral Marches. The 'organ' version I'm referring to is the only one I actually knew until recently and was on the Nordic Metal compilation.
Candlemass

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Thorns - Ærie Descent versions? Reply with quote

The Nordic Metal version trumps everything.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd assume 1992.

The definitive version is absolutely on the Emperor split, in my opinion. It was fine-tuned there, then never recorded again. It reached it apex.
WindsOfApocalypse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't stand the split or the full length for more than two minutes. I never understood that weird Moonfog Techno 2000 shit, terrible to my ears.
UlvhedinGrom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindsOfApocalypse wrote:
Can't stand the split or the full length for more than two minutes. I never understood that weird Moonfog Techno 2000 shit, terrible to my ears.

this.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full-length is legitimately the only perfect and original black metal album to be released in a long time. Sucks you can't get into it. What is has to do with "techno" is waaaaaay beyond my understanding.
WindsOfApocalypse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Moonfog releases around that time had that sudden modern, mechanical sound and artwork going on and I absolutely didn't get into that and still don't to this day. The riffs on the Thorns album are absolutely stellar, just everything around it is unlistenable to me.
ennemi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
I'd assume 1992.

The definitive version is absolutely on the Emperor split, in my opinion. It was fine-tuned there, then never recorded again. It reached it apex.

this
(BIC it)
gromcrom
banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does any one know from where comes 'Melas Khole' off the split CD? I dont remember this one being on any demo tape of Thorns or SD.
Also, same with 'The discpline of earth'! These songs are fuck awesome.
Mendicant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
The full-length is legitimately the only perfect and original black metal album to be released in a long time. Sucks you can't get into it. What is has to do with "techno" is waaaaaay beyond my understanding.

yep that album totally rules and I like the modern sound which I'd deem more "industrial" than "techno" (well "industrial" like Ministry) - Snorre writes the greatest bm guitar parts and I am so bloody eager for a follow up album

re: Aerie Descent I agree about the the Thorns vs Emperor split being the ultimate - the demo version is nice and chilling but I remember being quite disappointed with the Nordic Metal version

does anyone have the reissue version of Thorns vs Emperor with the bonus tracks? just wondering if they are worth hearing specifically You That Mingle May
Frozen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendicant wrote:
eighthplague wrote:

yep that album totally rules and I like the modern sound which I'd deem more "industrial" than "techno" (well "industrial" like Ministry) - Snorre writes the greatest bm guitar parts and I am so bloody eager for a follow up album

Exactly. It's loaded with Doom connotations and I mean that in the best way possible.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gromcrom wrote:
Does any one know from where comes 'Melas Khole' off the split CD? I dont remember this one being on any demo tape of Thorns or SD.
Also, same with 'The discpline of earth'! These songs are fuck awesome.

It's "Funeral Marches to the Grave", renamed.
"Discipline of the Earth" is sort of an Emperor cover.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendicant wrote:
eighthplague wrote:

re: Aerie Descent I agree about the the Thorns vs Emperor split being the ultimate - the demo version is nice and chilling but I remember being quite disappointed with the Nordic Metal version

does anyone have the reissue version of Thorns vs Emperor with the bonus tracks? just wondering if they are worth hearing specifically You That Mingle May

You That Mingle May is fucking AWESOME. But if you have that Moonfog 2000 comp, you've already heard it.
Mendicant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
Mendicant wrote:
eighthplague wrote:

You That Mingle May is fucking AWESOME. But if you have that Moonfog 2000 comp, you've already heard it.

pretty sure I have Moonfog 2000 so I'll check it out tonight when I get home as I can't remember it at all

I always thought The Discipline Of Earth was purely a new Thorns song but I don't have the cd with me to check the credits - it's a killer song and that slow bit in the middle is so killer
gromcrom
banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think Discipline of Earth must be new Thorns song, though it fades into Emperor riff (Cosmic Keys).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: