P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

Black Tower "The Secret Fire" (punk/trad metal)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dalecooper



Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 3128
Location: Athens, GA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Black Tower "The Secret Fire" (punk/trad metal) Reply with quote



The first preview track from Black Tower's debut "The Secret Fire" is streaming on Decibel's site. This is "Death March": http://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2015/3/31/maiden-meets-middle-earth-exclusive-black-tower-video-premiere

The band is a blend of traditional heavy metal, punk (especially the melodic kind pioneered by Bad Religion), and even a little black metal. It's proudly geeky music, with lyrics based on J.R.R. Tolkien. The CD will be out from Unspeakable Axe on June 2, bearing art (above) by Danille Gauvin; LP will be handled by No Idea Records around the same time.
_________________
http://unspeakableaxerecords.com


Last edited by dalecooper on Sat May 02, 2015 1:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
black aspirin



Joined: 01 May 2013
Posts: 60

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This preview track is damn cool. Despite the relatively dark melodicism and tone of the song overall it still conveys that youthful vigor that I dig in a lot of the NWoBHM classics from that genre's golden age. These guys (and gal) have charm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DIVERGENTSERIES



Joined: 15 Jun 2011
Posts: 482
Location: 667

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Black Tower "The Secret Fire" (punk/NWOBHM) Reply with quote

dalecooper wrote:


The first preview track from Black Tower's debut "The Secret Fire" is streaming on Decibel's site. This is "Death March": http://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2015/3/31/maiden-meets-middle-earth-exclusive-black-tower-video-premiere

The band is a blend of NWOBHM, punk (especially the melodic kind pioneered by Bad Religion), and even a little black metal. It's proudly geeky music, with lyrics based on J.R.R. Tolkien. The CD will be out from Unspeakable Axe on June 2, bearing art (above) by Danille Gauvin; LP will be handled by No Idea Records around the same time.




Confusing art and logo aside (looks like fantasy crust mall thrash??) how can it be NWOBHM if they're Canadian?

Will check it out later...hoping it sounds a little like the first English Dogs lp.
_________________
rthdx wrote:

After such a loud shitting in own pants it would be wise to disappear forever.

"Bez práce nejsou koláče."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dalecooper



Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 3128
Location: Athens, GA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Black Tower "The Secret Fire" (punk/NWOBHM) Reply with quote

DIVERGENTSERIES wrote:

Confusing art and logo aside (looks like fantasy crust mall thrash??) how can it be NWOBHM if they're Canadian?


NWOCHM?

Quote:
Will check it out later...hoping it sounds a little like the first English Dogs lp.


Honestly I'm not sure what to liken it to. It doesn't sound a ton like anything else that I usually listen to. The vocals are a little Witchfinder General by way of modern punk rock, with explicitly black metal aspects; the music is somewhere between NWO(?)HM and punk as well. All I know is that I can't get it out of my head, so I figured I better release it.
_________________
http://unspeakableaxerecords.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
DIVERGENTSERIES



Joined: 15 Jun 2011
Posts: 482
Location: 667

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Black Tower "The Secret Fire" (punk/NWOBHM) Reply with quote

dalecooper wrote:
DIVERGENTSERIES wrote:

Confusing art and logo aside (looks like fantasy crust mall thrash??) how can it be NWOBHM if they're Canadian?


NWOCHM?

Quote:
Will check it out later...hoping it sounds a little like the first English Dogs lp.


... All I know is that I can't get it out of my head, so I figured I better release it.


That's the best reason to release things!
_________________
rthdx wrote:

After such a loud shitting in own pants it would be wise to disappear forever.

"Bez práce nejsou koláče."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dalecooper



Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 3128
Location: Athens, GA

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDs are here. This comes with a heavy stock outer slip case (lower left). Pre-orders begin shipping May 18th. Get 'em here: http://www.unspeakableaxerecords.com/purchase/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=black+tower



We're also getting shirts made of this design, which I drew myself for the band. Very "illustration for the cover of a D&D module," I think. These will be arriving later in May and shipping at the same time as the CD - package deals for shirt & CD are just $20.


_________________
http://unspeakableaxerecords.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dalecooper



Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 3128
Location: Athens, GA

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new track "Riders" from the album is streaming at The Nerdist: http://nerdist.com/premiere-black-towers-riders-is-so-metal-you-guys/ This one is a little slower and dirge-ier than the last.
_________________
http://unspeakableaxerecords.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
GoldenBull



Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 7697

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the first time I've ever heard about a record from this forum and No Idea at the same time. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dalecooper



Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 3128
Location: Athens, GA

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
I think this is the first time I've ever heard about a record from this forum and No Idea at the same time. Laughing


That is probably the case. Very Happy
_________________
http://unspeakableaxerecords.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
GoldenBull



Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 7697

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just guessing, but is one of the singers in this band also in Crusades? Sounds just like him. In fact this kind of sounds like Crusades in general if you add the NWOBHM stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
In Solitude



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Posts: 4506
Location: Seattle

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalecooper wrote:
A new track "Riders" from the album is streaming at The Nerdist: http://nerdist.com/premiere-black-towers-riders-is-so-metal-you-guys/ This one is a little slower and dirge-ier than the last.


This article made me cringe.
_________________
The Prophet Muhammad wrote:
You should just listen to Bathory
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GoldenBull



Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 7697

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Solitude wrote:
dalecooper wrote:
A new track "Riders" from the album is streaming at The Nerdist: http://nerdist.com/premiere-black-towers-riders-is-so-metal-you-guys/ This one is a little slower and dirge-ier than the last.


This article made me cringe.


So metal, guys. Oy.

EDIT: I have a soft spot for punk bands that also like metal for obvious reasons, but sometimes I wish they would hire "metal PR agents" to keep them from facepalm level press releases. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dalecooper



Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 3128
Location: Athens, GA

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know all the text there was generated by the writer from Nerdist and not anyone directly associated with the band. It is more than a bit ridiculous, especially for this song (which is one of the least "OMG METUHHLLL" songs on the album; to my ears it's practically a ballad). But I guess that's what happens when you get a site with little interest in heavy music to promote this kind of release. I would have rather written it myself, for sure.

GoldenBull wrote:
Just guessing, but is one of the singers in this band also in Crusades? Sounds just like him. In fact this kind of sounds like Crusades in general if you add the NWOBHM stuff.


Nailed it, yeah. Skottie (bass/vocals) and Dave (drums) are both from Crusades. Although the more frequent singer here is Erin, who was not.
_________________
http://unspeakableaxerecords.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dalecooper



Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 3128
Location: Athens, GA

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full album is now streaming at Exclaim.ca: http://exclaim.ca/Music/article/black_tower-secret_fire_album_stream

(Yes, I know the band isn't black metal. Writers, man.)
_________________
http://unspeakableaxerecords.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
probert



Joined: 15 Jul 2009
Posts: 7073
Location: stankonia

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great! exclaim is terrible. canada's weeklies are embarrassing.
_________________
format your doormat
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group