P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Which format do you prefer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which format do you prefer?
Vinyl
56%
 56%  [ 101 ]
Tape
15%
 15%  [ 27 ]
CD
28%
 28%  [ 51 ]
Total Votes : 179

Numerator41

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDs for reasons already stated. More convenient in most situations, easier to store, cheaper than LPs, etc. I have no problems with LPs, but in the case of tapes, I'll only buy them if they're the only format a release is available on.
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for vinyl here. Keeping the whole package in mind (sound/presentation) it's overall the best. I really only started buying them after 2000 or so, however. I buy a decent amount of cassettes as well, but most of them are tape only releases or demos. I also often buy a tape instead of a record or cd because sometimes I like an album $5-6 worth, not $15-20 worth. I don't buy many cd's, but it has nothing to do with disliking the format. I have over a thousand from purchasing them almost exclusively during the 90's. At this point though I mostly rip them for listening to/from work, so it's better to just buy an lp or tape and download mp3's for travel listening if need be.
Descension

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tape over CDs probably, but vinyl is my favorite (though least frequently played due to lack of time lately). I only buy vinyl versions of albums that are especially important though, to be honest.
GenericBlackMetalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't see why someone would prefer a tape over a cd..
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

under a funeral shroom wrote:
I also often buy a tape instead of a record because sometimes I like an album $5-6 worth, not $15-20 worth.

definitely has a lot to do with my preference of tapes for metal. many SHIT releases floating out there, so its not as much of a blow to the wallet checking out shitty $5 tapes here and there. sometimes it actually pans out well! many of the silly demos I own which are played for shits and giggles every couple years have no purpose on vinyl anyhow
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenericBlackMetalhead wrote:

People want to kvlt and that format allows young scenesters to gain UG credibility. It makes them feel like they're reviving the '90ies despite being 18-20 and for several of them it's also the only format they can afford buying. Cultsettes had a meaning back in the times of tape-trading, nowadays they're an anachronistic paradox that only modern posers into Teitanblood, Katharsis etc can take seriously.
Blutkvlt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually end up buying an album I like on whatever format it's released on first or is most easily available, but for me a properly laid-out tape release is best if it's BM/noise. I prefer CDs over vinyl due to the price, size, and portability, not to mention the minimal amount of care required to keep them playable almost forever.

MY TRADELIST/WANTLIST:
http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21928
holy ghost

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who says 'cultsette' seriously should be shipped off to the Siberian gulags....
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:

People want to kvlt and that format allows young scenesters to gain UG credibility. It makes them feel like they're reviving the '90ies despite being 18-20 and for several of them it's also the only format they can afford buying. Cultsettes had a meaning back in the times of tape-trading, nowadays they're an anachronistic paradox that only modern posers into Teitanblood, Katharsis etc can take seriously.

someone a little sore they prematurely unloaded their cultisette collection "back in the 90s"? Laughing

also, teitanblood seems more of a "goatfago vinyl stamp collector" caliber band. not so much the cultisette crowd flava
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordoftherim wrote:
NK7 wrote:

someone a little sore they prematurely unloaded their cultisette collection "back in the 90s"? Laughing

Not at all, as a matter of fact I still own all my old demos and won't part ways with them. My point is, tapes had a function back then as they were the only way one had to listen to music while not being home. Nowadays they only survive as virtual time machines for people who weren't even born when they were the main format.
frostjunkie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
My point is, tapes had a function back then as they were the only way one had to listen to music while not being home.

I must be living in the past then because this is exactly the function they provide.. only have a cassette deck in the car.
Morbid Obesity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only cds. I don't wear gloves when handling them and they're not in a smoke free environment. I play them.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbid Obesity wrote:
Only cds. I don't wear gloves when handling them and they're not in a smoke free environment. I play them.

Mate smoking indoors is just bad news for more than just your records
Abgrund

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tapes.
Saltrubbed Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frostjunkie wrote:

I must be living in the past then because this is exactly the function they provide.. only have a cassette deck in the car.

They are the perfect medium for playing in a car, they don't care about bumps or vibrations, also they make a nice click sound when you push them into the stereo Smile

(At home I use a vintage ghetto blaster from the 80's)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: