P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Which format do you prefer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which format do you prefer?
Vinyl
56%
 56%  [ 101 ]
Tape
15%
 15%  [ 27 ]
CD
28%
 28%  [ 51 ]
Total Votes : 179

Buried In Ohio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blutkvlt wrote:
not to mention the minimal amount of care required to keep them playable almost forever.

I don't remember where but I thought I remember reading an article explaining how cds actually have a shockingly short life span of around maybe a decade or two? Even currently produced ones.
Nyx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buried In Ohio wrote:
Blutkvlt wrote:
not to mention the minimal amount of care required to keep them playable almost forever.

I don't remember where but I thought I remember reading an article explaining how cds actually have a shockingly short life span of around maybe a decade or two? Even currently produced ones.

I have a bunch of cd's from the 80's that play just fine. Do they somehow slowly deteriorate over time? Or are they just more fragile to dust and whatnot?
little_raven

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the genre. Tapes for metal and noise. CDs for electronic-related music. Can't imagine a breakcore album on tape Confused

I actually own two albums on vinyls, one was a gift from the band. The other was sent instead of the CD version by mistake Laughing Inb4 crazy postage rates

­
NuclearGoatVomit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perverted Necrofucker wrote:
First of all i buy cds to listen to the album and if the album is really good (and sometimes historical important) iŽll take also the Lp for nostalgic reasons.

Same goes for me. Due to financial reasons.
Thoth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy albums that I appreciate a lot, for the artwork, the lyrics and the physical copy of them. All my cd's have been ripped & then played, tops three or four times. Most of the time I will be too lazy & will put the mp3 version in my playlist. However, ALL the physical aspects are improved on vinyl: larger artwork, most of the time lyrics are easier to read and more beautifully rendered and the sound is much more alive than cd/mp3's, which give me an added reason to listen to them on vinyl.

I also find that listening to vinyls is an experience, much more so than cd's. I also LOVE tapes, but for demos and low-fi albums only. I like the old-school & necro aspect of it. So I guess all 3 formats have their advantages, as I will still buy cd's, but usually only of albums that I appreciate (& not absolute favorites), and/or because they are not available or too expensive on vinyl.
HotBlack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buried In Ohio wrote:

CD-Rs you can expect a short life span from, but even that is like 10yrs for cheap brands... because there is a dye layer used to store the written(burned) info, and this layer degrades over time.

mass produced CDs from a pressing plant have the physical image from a master pressed into them basically the same way a vinyl record is produced. If treated half-way responsibly, they should last for... as long as it takes polycarbonate to decompose I guess hehe...
Zone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cd
hevosrunkkari

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDs more today than vinyl, due practical reasons, easier to store, easier to listen (no flipping hocus pocus), cheaper and portable. Tapes if its the only format available. Yet mostly i listen mp3s, thats what in reality i prefer apparently.
slayerhatesusall

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer cds the most, I do have a small collection of around 100 records but don't play them often, the larger artwork is nice but I see too many used records with damaged sleeves and also mold and water damage that I would otherwise buy, not to mention records deteriorate eventually after playing them often unlike cds, so many used records I would have bought but the condition is just crap, don't have that problem with cds, cds can get scratched to hell and still work, and if not they can always be resurfaced as long as there isn't deep scratches on top of the cd, if records get scratched up enough they then sound crappy. Cassettes are just bad, I had around 300 metal cassettes and sold them, bad sound quality and degrade and get damaged too easily, much worse then records, at least records can have amazing sound quality when they are in excellent condition. I was surprised I got even $1 each for the tapes.
Tireheb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germaniac wrote:
Basically vinyl for old releases, CD for new ones.

Pretty much like this... But I buy all of those formats all the time. I don't have any obsession for a certain format.
I have this record and can someone tell me what it sounds like, please.

"You can't hide the hook!"
Caina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinyl for home listening, CD for home if I'm busy doing something and can't flip or its the only format available. Tapes are a last resort. Having had to actually put up with tapes in the early 90s it's hilarious that people claim to prefer them for new releases.

www.myspace.com/cainaband
http://www.last.fm/user/WilburWhateley

Good traders/sellers: Yosuke, Grief, s.charlach x2, Blekt , headnhalf x2, destrucSEAN, Sadovahr x3, GROUND ZERO Entertainment, Ykh
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caina wrote:
Vinyl for home listening, CD for home if I'm busy doing something and can't flip or its the only format available. Tapes are a last resort. Having had to actually put up with tapes in the early 90s it's hilarious that people claim to prefer them for new releases.

As explained above they don't really like them. It's all about scoring scene points or living in 3rd world countries where cds cost half of your monthly income.
satanic ritual abuse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread makes me want to dub a tape. Judging from my collection, I prefer CD, then Vinyl, then tape.
Mikk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange that most people replying to the thread are saying CD, yet vinyl leads by over twice the amount...
Mr_Belvedere

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haunt In The Dark wrote:
Tapes + non-GZ LPs.

What's the deal with GZ Media stuff? Have many LPS which were pressed there and they sound great. Or is it because of NK7 that it is suddenly cool to hate GZ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: