P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

New Darkthrone in 2013 "The Underground Resistance"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dalen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, if not my top favorite, Soulside Journey is among my favorite Darkthrone records and I consider it just as good as their next three albums. But, tastes differ, you know. I don't have a problem with the name, and tbh they've always seemed more of a heavy metal, or just a metal band to me than anything else. They were playing death metal when it was new and fresh, they switched to black metal and influenced most traditional bands out there and now they're doing their retro thing, remembering how they used to dig heavy metal records. Actually, I think it's way cool they're doing their thing instead of writing mediocre black metal records people would buy and praise more than their current outputs.
The_Elite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the issue I have, and I like pretty much everything they have put out... they used to influence others, and now they are influenced themselves. They are beginning to sound tired. I am sure the new album will have a few killer songs on it, but I in no way expect it to be a great record, because they don't make truly great records anymore.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, that whole "OOOHH THEY SUCK CUZ THEY DON'T PLAY LIKE THEY DID ON UAFM ANYMORE!!1!11!" douchebaggery must be the most tiresome rigmarole of the last few years. Get over it, guys are fed up with your beloved norse fetish and chances are they're not gonna play that style anytime soon. If you still need more tremolo blastbeat listen to your generic ltd to 150 Urkkraftens Mystic UG release and don't bother buying the new album. It's all that simple.
The_Elite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I want to listen to Manilla Road I'll listen to Manilla Road, not some 'fan' trying to play like Manilla Road.

Again. I have no problem with 'new' Darkthrone, I just think the albums are beginning to sound tired. A few good songs, and lots of filler.
cochino

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADK wrote:

Just compare it to Poe with his detective tales

Poe is considered the initiator of detective and modern mystery stories and his Lupin tales are a milestone in American, and western literature.
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I retain from this thread is that black metal is exactly about giving the fans what they want.
pentfixion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big sunglasses. very important. always big sunglasses, cool band.
Dodens Grav

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADK wrote:
Dodens Grav wrote:
There are probably more people here who dislike newer Darkthrone because it's Darkthrone, and would be more forgiving of the material if it was released by another band.

Nope, at least from my subjective point of view.

ADK wrote:
DT are only capable of one thing: Doing grim and frostbitten Black Metal. THAT is what we want to hear from them - and nothing else. If they do something different, why not change the name?

In fairness, doesn't this kind of support what I said?

As far as newer Darkthrone goes, I do enjoy the last three albums, but they're far from favorites of mine, either relative to the rest of their catalogue or to other albums released during the same years. I personally need to be in a certain frame of mind to appreciate Fenriz's silly tracks and vocals, although I think that a lot of Nocturno Culto's songs have been quite strong. I don't understand this claim that they're basically just a heavy metal band ripping off Manilla Road now, either. I honestly hear basically zero similarity. The last three albums are not really easily classified into any one genre, and are certainly not straight ahead traditional heavy metal.

pentfixion wrote:
big sunglasses. very important. always big sunglasses, cool band.

Not Emperor sunglasses. Cool
Charlie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are darkthrone giving a nod to classic Detroit techno with this album title?
ADK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodens Grav wrote:

Yeah, to some degree, but honestly I lost a bit the track here in this thread.

Let's sum it up: New Darkthrone is polarizing, old Darkthrone we all love. So let's just wait for the album so we have something real to argue about.

cochino wrote:
ADK wrote:

Just compare it to Poe with his detective tales

Poe is considered the initiator of detective and modern mystery stories and his Lupin tales are a milestone in American, and western literature.

I am not an expert on literature, but I always thought he was way more known for his horror stories. My mistake then, but for Lovecraft I am sure, you should have quoted that as well to get the idea of what I was trying to say.
Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Elite wrote:
Here's the issue I have, and I like pretty much everything they have put out... they used to influence others, and now they are influenced themselves. They are beginning to sound tired. I am sure the new album will have a few killer songs on it, but I in no way expect it to be a great record, because they don't make truly great records anymore.

Huh? Darkthrone were influenced by other bands in the past. They were very much influenced by Autopsy for Soulside Journey and Goatlord. They were influenced by Bathory and Celtic Frost quite a bit. Heck, Under a Funeral Moon has riffs which could have been written by Destruction. Transylvanian Hunger is probably the album where their influences show the less, and it's by far not their best album. But anyway, bands without influences don't exist, so...

And tired? I can understand someone not liking newer Darkthrone, but some of the songs very energetic and passionate.

But fuck Darkthrone's black metal period, everyone knows Snowfall is the best thing they ever wrote Razz

And who cares if they don't write black metal anymore and still call themselves Darkthrone or whatever (they didn't even start as black metal), just forget about them and keep listening to the old stuff, like I do for all the bands I couldn't care less about anymore. I stop caring long ago about things like this considering the number of good bands around.
scentofdeath

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good god so much fever over an album that's pretty much wide open to any direction. I hear oriental drums and flutes psych over thrash beats already.

But I admit I am intrigued by the cover and song lengths. Looking forward to hear it.
N.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I have always stuck to Darkthrone's unholy trinity: A Blaze, Under a Funeral Moon, and Transylvanian, I guess that is just what appeals to me, when their music was hateful and totally underground, I even haven't checked out Soulside Journey, but I want to. As well as I'm interested in their thrash demo stuff, and as for their later stuff, post Total Death, I'm curious about it but never have gotten to hearing it. Could someone here give me some recommendations? But honestly DT seems a weird band, so many different changes over the years, and I guess it just happens that I've been mostly interested in their black metal period.

- E. M. Cioran
Dodens Grav

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADK wrote:
Dodens Grav wrote:

Yeah, to some degree, but honestly I lost a bit the track here in this thread.

Let's sum it up: New Darkthrone is polarizing, old Darkthrone we all love. So let's just wait for the album so we have something real to argue about.

Fair point!
Dodens Grav

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N. wrote:
To be honest, I have always stuck to Darkthrone's unholy trinity: A Blaze, Under a Funeral Moon, and Transylvanian, I guess that is just what appeals to me, when their music was hateful and totally underground, I even haven't checked out Soulside Journey, but I want to. As well as I'm interested in their thrash demo stuff, and as for their later stuff, post Total Death, I'm curious about it but never have gotten to hearing it. Could someone here give me some recommendations? But honestly DT seems a weird band, so many different changes over the years, and I guess it just happens that I've been mostly interested in their black metal period.

If you've only heard those three albums, then you may want to wade in the shallow end to start with and try out Panzerfaust, and maybe Total Death, as you'll be in more familiar territory there.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 11 of 37

Jump to: