P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

New Darkthrone in 2013 "The Underground Resistance"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N. wrote:
To be honest, I have always stuck to Darkthrone's unholy trinity: A Blaze, Under a Funeral Moon, and Transylvanian, I guess that is just what appeals to me, when their music was hateful and totally underground, I even haven't checked out Soulside Journey, but I want to. As well as I'm interested in their thrash demo stuff, and as for their later stuff, post Total Death, I'm curious about it but never have gotten to hearing it. Could someone here give me some recommendations? But honestly DT seems a weird band, so many different changes over the years, and I guess it just happens that I've been mostly interested in their black metal period.

People often refer to their newer material as ''punkthrone'', I don't think it's an appropriate expression, but if you want black metal (more along the lines of Celtic Frost) mixed with as much punk (mostly crust), then try The Cult is Alive. Dirty, rockin' and mean. From there they more and more took out the punk elements, they're mostly there in a track or two per album and a bit in the drumming. FOAD is good (got the ''classic'' Raised on Rock'' but it's by far their less good of the newer ones. The black metal aspect is mainly from the aesthetics and some riffs, there's definitely some Motorhead scattered around. Dark Thrones and Black Flags continues in that direction, but I think it's better. It has the killer ''Norway in September'' which mixes their black and roll sound, more atmospheric black metal and thrash at the end. Circle the Wagons is my favourite out of the 4, it's even closer to heavy metal while retaining their dirty sounding riffs. And some call them goofy, but Fenriz does some pretty sweet clean vocals.

Probably a bit sketchy of a description, but anyway, check out The Cult is Alive and Circle the Wagons. The other 2 (I didn't count Sardonic Warth) fit somewhere in between.

And if you like Autopsy, definitely check Soulside Journey. There's a definite influence, but the feel is quite different.
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any samples yet?
speedevilucifer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
N. wrote:
To be honest, I have always stuck to Darkthrone's unholy trinity: A Blaze, Under a Funeral Moon, and Transylvanian, I guess that is just what appeals to me, when their music was hateful and totally underground, I even haven't checked out Soulside Journey, but I want to. As well as I'm interested in their thrash demo stuff, and as for their later stuff, post Total Death, I'm curious about it but never have gotten to hearing it. Could someone here give me some recommendations? But honestly DT seems a weird band, so many different changes over the years, and I guess it just happens that I've been mostly interested in their black metal period.

People often refer to their newer material as ''punkthrone'', I don't think it's an appropriate expression, but if you want black metal (more along the lines of Celtic Frost) mixed with as much punk (mostly crust), then try The Cult is Alive. Dirty, rockin' and mean. From there they more and more took out the punk elements, they're mostly there in a track or two per album and a bit in the drumming. FOAD is good (got the ''classic'' Raised on Rock'' but it's by far their less good of the newer ones. The black metal aspect is mainly from the aesthetics and some riffs, there's definitely some Motorhead scattered around. Dark Thrones and Black Flags continues in that direction, but I think it's better. It has the killer ''Norway in September'' which mixes their black and roll sound, more atmospheric black metal and thrash at the end. Circle the Wagons is my favourite out of the 4, it's even closer to heavy metal while retaining their dirty sounding riffs. And some call them goofy, but Fenriz does some pretty sweet clean vocals.

Probably a bit sketchy of a description, but anyway, check out The Cult is Alive and Circle the Wagons. The other 2 (I didn't count Sardonic Warth) fit somewhere in between.

And if you like Autopsy, definitely check Soulside Journey. There's a definite influence, but the feel is quite different.

I agree .From ''FOAD'' also can't forget ''canadian metal'' and church of real metal''.
''The cult is alive'' is mandatory.You cannot dislike ''graveyard slut'' and ''whiskey funeral'' for God's sake!
I still don't like circle the wagons though.But this doesn't change my opinion for Darkthrone and my respect for them.Everyone has the right to make mistakes.This effort might be more ''true'' because Fenriz is feeling more ''heavymetal'' this period.So ,he is acting right.Although this album should has been released with a different band name or as a side project.
And to the recent Darkthrone haters:don't forget who Darkthrone was all over the years !
When Fenriz was reinventing the true black metal from Tormentor,many people from here were not even born!
Deathcrusher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Elite wrote:
Here's the issue I have, and I like pretty much everything they have put out... they used to influence others, and now they are influenced themselves. They are beginning to sound tired. I am sure the new album will have a few killer songs on it, but I in no way expect it to be a great record, because they don't make truly great records anymore.

Completely agree.
Haunt In The Dark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N. wrote:

Ok, here are my two favourite Darkthrone songs:

From "Panzerfaust": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkzEqclYqZY

From "Hate Them": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3B3Vj8OljM
SoundsOfDecay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panzerfaust is killer, just as good as the trio of classic albums. In fact its probably my favourite DT album.
Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see why people usually see Panzerfaust under the ''trilogy'', it's so much better than Transylvanian Hunger and I'd say it's on par with Under a Funeral Moon. A Blaze is hard to top though.
DSS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haunt In The Dark wrote:

Ok, here are my two favourite Darkthrone songs:

From "Panzerfaust": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkzEqclYqZY

Wasn't this song written by Vikernes? And the music was later used on the Storm LP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCvgDLH0yc

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
I can't see why people usually see Panzerfaust under the ''trilogy'', it's so much better than Transylvanian Hunger and I'd say it's on par with Under a Funeral Moon. A Blaze is hard to top though.

"Panzerfaust" is a 'tribute' to Celtic Frost. The band even admitted that they used CF riffs on that album.

UAFM is my fave Darkthrone LP. The 'production' and the atmosphere are perfect on that album. "Summer of the Diabolical Holocaust" was on repeat in my younger days many times. TH annoys the crap out of me for some reason, especially the vocals. I can't handle more than 3 songs in a row from that album.
Tireheb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varg only wrote the lyrics for Quintenssence.
I have this record and can someone tell me what it sounds like, please.

"You can't hide the hook!"
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:

Because it's for a good 30% a Frost rip off. Yeah I know, you're not familiar with Frost. That Swiss band that is mentioned once or twice in the first chapter of Lords of Chaos.
SoundsOfDecay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of the new record: At least the new coverart makes a change, I'll check it out at least.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panzerfaust would be a much better album if it were consistently mixed. It's some of Darkthrone's strongest material, but FUCK, remix the goddamned thing. It's almost unlistenable because of the vocals being so much louder than everything else. Regardless, I think it's my favorite Darkthrone album. At least in the top 3.
Dismal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^haha, I really like how obscenely loud the vocals are...

True enough, absolute CF tribute/rip, but still a great album.
TheUnborn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dismal wrote:

eighthplague

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dismal wrote:

It's like someone bumped the volume knob on the vocals halfway through mixing it and didn't bother to turn it back down. A few songs are totally acceptable (the really Frost sounding songs, coincidentally enough), but the rest... goddamn. Laughing I feel like someone's yelling at me.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 12 of 37

Jump to: