P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

slipmats /turntable mats pros & cons?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krakentorso

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: slipmats /turntable mats pros & cons? Reply with quote

after having noticed the candlemass box thread I ask myself if there are any heavy pros and cons when it comes to use slipmats? never used one and didn't really care but this candlemass one is so cool, haha!

if you're DJing or do that stupid hiphop scratching it might be helpful. but is there any good argument for using them besides the obvious "looks cool" thing?

what about any static effects?
s.charlach

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: slipmats /turntable mats pros & cons? Reply with quote

krakentorso wrote:
is there any good argument for using them besides the obvious "looks cool" thing?

what about any static effects?

Preventing static charge is exactly the reason why to use a slipmat, but then again I'd rather recommend one made of "uncool looking" cork than the common felt ones from this point of view.
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the felt ones seem to increase the static issues from my experiences. use the non static conductive rubber one that should come with the turntable stock
krakentorso

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems this is more a hiphop thingie: they use these mats as they need a underlayment that makes the record slip more easily when scratching it. the normal turntable rubber mat doesn't.

static charging: two opinions now Confused
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often take my records off the table while it's still rotating. Rega doesn't have automatic stop mechanism so I have to kill the power in order to stop the rotation. I usually just leave it on while switching records. The slipmat keeps the vinyl from getting scratched during the switch.

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

lordoftherim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krakentorso wrote:
seems this is more a hiphop thingie: they use these mats as they need a underlayment that makes the record slip more easily when scratching it. the normal turntable rubber mat doesn't.

you nailed it with the DJ's needing more slip action. as for the felt mats, think of it like dragging your socks across the carpet, then when you touch something else that is conductive, you get a little shock... same principle with your record on felt. the felt builds charge just like carpet (by way of needle dragging across the surface of the record) you may notice with certain records when you go to flip the album, your felt pad will come right off attached to the album

*funny side note* I've had GZ pressed albums that are so fucking ridiculously charged from the factory, it will even make a non static conductive rubber mat stick to the record when you go to flip it. I still cant wrap my head around that....
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
Rega doesn't have automatic stop mechanism so I have to kill the power in order to stop the rotation

wow, did not know that. seems so rudimentary for such a high end piece of equipment...
holy ghost

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordoftherim wrote:
NWN PROD wrote:
Rega doesn't have automatic stop mechanism so I have to kill the power in order to stop the rotation

wow, did not know that. seems so rudimentary for such a high end piece of equipment...

Probably because the higher up you go, the less parts are used to ensure shorter signal path and less that can "go wrong" essentially....
krakentorso

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordoftherim wrote:
krakentorso wrote:

you nailed it with the DJ's needing more slip action. as for the felt mats, think of it like dragging your socks across the carpet, then when you touch something else that is conductive, you get a little shock... same principle with your record on felt. the felt builds charge just like carpet (by way of needle dragging across the surface of the record) you may notice with certain records when you go to flip the album, your felt pad will come right off attached to the album

*funny side note* I've had GZ pressed albums that are so fucking ridiculously charged from the factory, it will even make a non static conductive rubber mat stick to the record when you go to flip it. I still cant wrap my head around that....

thanks for the info.

and yes, I made the same experience with those LPs sticking to the rubber mat, haha. just as lovely as too narrow center holes Smile
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
I often take my records off the table while it's still rotating. Rega doesn't have automatic stop mechanism so I have to kill the power in order to stop the rotation. I usually just leave it on while switching records. The slipmat keeps the vinyl from getting scratched during the switch.

I do the same (although with a pro-ject, not Rega).
krakentorso

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
NWN PROD wrote:

I do the same (although with a pro-ject, not Rega).

that would be more the professional DJing thing: switching records during rotation Wink
boogs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

felt slipmats will charge the record with static, DJing or not. I've been using slipmats since forever as I'm DJing and the record will always lift off the mat when I take it off the platter.
Then again I tried the normal rubber mat for regular playback but to me it seemed to be even worse. There are antistatic mats but I haven't tried them yet. After all it mainly affects the flipside and I dust off the record before playing it anyway which works well enough for me.
However, I guess everyone here needs a goat hair brush for the maximum listening experience: http://www.soundhifi.com/vinylbits.html
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
lordoftherim wrote:
NWN PROD wrote:

Probably because the higher up you go, the less parts are used to ensure shorter signal path and less that can "go wrong" essentially....

makes enough sense
Orpheus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesnt make any sense. The power that goes to the motor (and any switch) has basically nothing to do with the signal path at all. Until it reaches whatever preamp is being used, the signal is entirely passive.

It probably had something to do with the sensitivity of the tonearm mechanism or something.
astralvesl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
I often take my records off the table while it's still rotating. I usually just leave it on while switching records. The slipmat keeps the vinyl from getting scratched during the switch.

I do the same thing probably 75% of the time. I also find that a slipmat in general helps decrease static and that a rubber one further decreases static over a felt one. Never used cork before though, is there any advantage to those over the rubber ones?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: