P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Vinyl's great, but it's not better than CDs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frozen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Vinyl's great, but it's not better than CDs Reply with quote

"Happy Record Store Day! There are plenty of business-related grievances to be filed against the annual vinyl celebration, but it's hard to argue with the spirit of a day encouraging people to explore and buy new music. Moreover, vinyl's just more fun as a format than MP3s or CDs; there's something viscerally satisfying about dropping the needle, and physically spinning the record back to rewind. And in a world where people feel all too welcome to hijack the playlist at parties they attend, it's nice to have a harder-to-commandeer format on offer.

Let's not fool ourselves, though. Vinyl is great, but the idea that its sound quality is superior to that of uncompressed digital recordings is preposterous. They sound different, and that's exactly the point."

Read why: http://www.vox.com/2014/4/19/5626058/vinyls-great-but-its-not-better-than-cds
Freelance Fiend

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Record Store Day is a time when nerds get together to spend hundreds of dollars on records and the rest of the world asks, 'People are still buying vinyl?'"

http://www.vice.com/read/what-did-and-didnt-suck-at-record-store-day-2014?utm_source=vicefbus
Luxixul Sumering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blah blah blah.... blah blah blah.... zzzzz that was a snooze fest
holy ghost

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh boy! Here we go with the Nyquist-Shannon theorem again amirite lads? Rolling Eyes

Just kidding!! From a technical perspective that article makes a lot of sense. But we've been down that road before.... there's no fooling you guys....
Orpheus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Simply as a matter revealed preferences, the fact that Americans buy digital copies of songs at a much greater rate than alternatives suggests that they'd rather listen to digital music or CDs than vinyl"

>implying that marketing data is relevant to a thesis on physics, or "quality".

"You can't fit thousands of tracks' worth of vinyl in your pocket and listen to it while jogging. "

Thanks man, next time I need the obscure sorcery of late 20th, early 21st century entertainment formats explained to me, I'll be sure to contact you. But please, next time tone down the technical jargon. There are those of us without Ph.Ds trying to have our opinions made for us and its a little hard to follow.

These five paragraph essay blog posts with their little "factoids" need to fuck off.
throneofmight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really!? Well, I don't care Cool
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think at this point, who really is that concerned over it. Let everyone have their opinion. CD vs LP. Either way, buy what you want and believe whichever you care to sound best.

All I know is shipping on cd's is cheaper and that is a pretty solid truth that leaves little room for argument. So does a cd sound better, sure, if only in that regard. Laughing
Ragingwinter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CD collection is leaps and bounds bigger than my LP collection, I enjoy listening to LP's but I'm one of the few who would prefer a CD listen.
Miilos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDs for me... Vinyls are ok for rawer stuff, but I would never buy f.e. Abigor's Fractal Possession on vinyl. Also, I often listen music lying in bed and I'm too lazy to get up to change the side. And if there's one thing I hate, it's vinyl-only (or tape) releases. I was so disappointed when I saw that the upcoming Peste Noire/Diapsiquir split will be out only on vinyl. Do a digital release at least, for fuck sake.
Dimrill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one for CDs. A few bands I buy on vinyl, but only because I collect their releases on all formats. My CD collection already takes up an 8' by 16' wall space, I wouldn't have room for the same on vinyl.
Eivittu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miilos wrote:
I would never buy f.e. Abigor's Fractal Possession on vinyl.

Why?

As for myself, I like music. Cool
Miilos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eivittu wrote:
Miilos wrote:
I would never buy f.e. Abigor's Fractal Possession on vinyl.

Why?

As for myself, I like music. Cool

You misunderstand me. That album is great, but that kind of music sounds better on CD. Vinyl's ok for rawer stuff, like Transilvanian Hunger for example. At least for me.
Zone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never cared for Vinyl, its impractical, takes up too much space, and not worth the price for the hard copy. Cds are cheaper and for all of the occasions I've heard vinyl, the CD sounds better each time.
Evilust

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analog > Digital

Anyway, digital is getting close as technology advances.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CD's should come in 12" sleeves with all that glorious artwork (option) Laughing

That solves the sound question of LP vs CD.

Then everyone can be happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: