P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Cradle of Filth
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which CoF album exposes your fangs?
The Principle of Evil Made Flesh
32%
 32%  [ 111 ]
Vempire or Dark Faerytales in Phallustein
13%
 13%  [ 47 ]
Dusk... and Her Embrace
27%
 27%  [ 94 ]
Cruelty and the Beast
13%
 13%  [ 46 ]
Midian
6%
 6%  [ 21 ]
Bitter Suites to Succubi
0%
 0%  [ 3 ]
Damnation and a Day
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
Nymphetamine
2%
 2%  [ 10 ]
Thornography
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 339

Feuersturm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What thehaahHAAHAHAHAHAhahAHAHAH!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8xU4Hg2Byk
Dalihrob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaGFJ5uHH_Y almost as embarassing as this.
StuartL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feuersturm wrote:
What thehaahHAAHAHAHAHAhahAHAHAH!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8xU4Hg2Byk

I fucking love Indonesia.
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this is something no one expected I'm certain of it. I recently reached Stuart Anstis and was going to do an extensive interview, but it just sort of turned into a more casual talk about his time in the band. I would have gone more in-depth, but it was getting late and he only had an hour.

Feuersturm:
How did you join Cradle? Did you know Dani or the band before?

Stuart Anstis:
My friend saw an ad in kerrang. Said it sounded like me. I had seen the band. Also seen nick around at shows.

Feuersturm:
When did you start recording with them? Any demos or such before Vempire?

Stuart Anstis:
No demos, started writing for vempire.

Feuersturm:
Most are under the assumption that the material for Vempire came from the Ryans. Did you already write for that release yourself then?

Stuart Anstis:
Ebony dressed.... was brand new, added a lot of parts to the half finished songs. The keyboard instrumental had to be rewritten at the last minute, I wrote one of the changes down for it and a studio guy arranged it.

Feuersturm:
Greg (Moffitt) didn't participate on the recording did he?

Stuart Anstis:
He did, just not on the instrumental. I played extra parts on some of the songs. Rape and ruin has me and rob and nick all playing keys on it !

Feuersturm:
The sublime keyboard part in that song is pretty intense heh. Been a favorite since the 90s no doubt.

Stuart Anstis:
It was a good one to play live

Feuersturm:
I've heard or seen one clip live.. not a lot of that going around. But yeah, they haven't done that since with any lineup.

Stuart Anstis:
I think we only played it til dusk came out

Feuersturm:
And what's the deal with "Jared Demeter", everyone seems to agree that it was a character made to keep the lineup a six piece when apparently there was no second guitarist yet? Except that there was some guy, what's his name... from the states..?

Stuart Anstis:
I’m jared i guess. Brian quit not long before the tour that autumn

Feuersturm:
Yeah, he's dead

Stuart Anstis
I heard. OD?

Feuersturm:
Don't remember the specifics but the band has certainly seen its share of guitarists. RISHI? Who was he? Apparently in and out around 1994.

Stuart Anstis:
Never met him. Heard his name. Didnt record anything

Feuersturm:
So how was the material from Paul Ryan handed over to you for Dusk? Was it the 1995 recording or some guitar tracks or?

Stuart Anstis:
I think it was a cassette of rough mixes of the demos that were released not long ago

Feuersturm:
There were demo recordings included on the 1995 release that came out last year yeah. Might have been those

Stuart Anstis:
Probably. I used that to work up ideas. Not many rehearsals

Feuersturm:
So you included your own ideas, took artistic liberties a bit etc

Stuart Anstis:
I got a few listens and made notes of the arrangements few rehearsals. did the rest in the studio

Feuersturm:
John/Gian didn't play guitars on the album I heard

Stuart Anstis:
Not a single note. I did one set of guitars, then back again being the other guitarist.

Feuersturm:
Well the 1996 version pretty much stomps the 1995 version. on the other hand the first version is the ultimate curiosity but the performance is neutered

Stuart Anstis:
Neutered! Thats a new one

Feuersturm:
It kicks off with nocturnal supremacy. completely lacks punch. such a shame. Vempire and Dusk versions of the song walk all over it

Stuart Anstis:
That was a good song. Probably still in their set now.

Feuersturm:
How was the recording of Dusk otherwise? The result was obviously stellar. Anything worth mentioning?

Stuart Anstis:
It was excellent great producer and engineers. Superb studio. Kit made me work incredibly hard. Learned a lot from him

Feuersturm:
Some say it sounds muffled but I've said it's like a warm summer's night. kind of lush in a way. Fits quite perfectly

Stuart Anstis:
Only ever listened to it once. Did sound great tho

Feuersturm:
ONCE? Not into reviewing your own work much?

Stuart Anstis:
Once. At with nick and dan. They fucking complained all the way through. Still got my vinyl with the shrink wrap on it.

Feuersturm:
Keep that for a while longer and then make a fortune selling a signed copy.

Stuart Anstis:
I have them all on vinyl. Never played them. One day

Feuersturm:
They complained? What's there to complain? I mean it was done twice already

Stuart Anstis:
Drums weren’t loud enough. Vocals weren’t loud enough. And variations on that.

Feuersturm:
drummer complaints about drums, vocalist complains about vocals. makes sense. you know, loud fucking vocals are the prime offense cradle has been doing over and over. on Dusk, it was done right. they were right. it was fine. on Vempire it was fine.

Stuart Anstis
I rarely interfered with mixes. By the time a record is completed you have heard the songs hundreds of times. Let someone else get some perspective on it is best. I heard that the vocals had been turned up even louder on cruelty for a reissue !

Feuersturm:
The 2018 reissue is coming, but first I would like to know more about the original. So when did you start writing for it?

Stuart Anstis:
Some of the ideas i used on it were from earlier songs i had written. Ideas that i had on the dusk tour and brand new stuff. So straight after that tour I believe.

Feuersturm:
How involved were the others in the writing process?

Stuart Anstis:
Everbody threw in mostly nick rob and i. Les put in too. It was written over a short period of time. But, i think the first song written was what became 13 autumns

Feuersturm:
So what happened with the sound there?

Stuart Anstis:
The sound of the album?

Feuersturm:
Yeah. Drums particularly suffered. Were there any attempts to salvage it, like remix or re-record something

Stuart Anstis:
Changed producers part way through. Ego chaos. Nick trying to create the clickiest drum sound in history. Band had way too much influence on the mix. I’ve never listened to cruelty since it was completed. Although i found a stack of my old cassette demos from 96-98 the other day. In there is a cassette of mixes that i hope are the roughs before the drum triggers went on.

Stuart Anstis
It may just be the unmastered album mixes. I’ll find out soon.

Feuersturm:
Unmastered can never do wrong. So you don't have any involvement with the 2018 Cruelty "overhaul". It's supposed to fix everything

Stuart Anstis:
No. Or just make the vocals louder

Feuersturm:
I'll fucking get a refund if that's the case. But the album is great, that's the thing, it's better than the mistakes that bring it down

Stuart Anstis:
Like i say. I’ll listen one day. They are good songs for the most part

Right after that we had to stop, but the biggest surprise here is that he gave me a link to phone interview he did last year with some Australian radio show called Scars and Guitars. It deals specifically with the 1995-1999 era of the band. Very detailed, informative and revealing interview that goes on for 4 MOTHERFUCKING HOURS. Imagine that! No one hears about the man for nearly 20 years and all of a sudden there's this marathon interview that goes deep. Here's a link to the podcast and a direct link to the file in case you want to play it in VLC for instance.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/?id=136780
https://media.whooshkaa.com/podcasts/1704/episodes/cf9072-stuart-anstis-cradle-of-filth-whooshkaa.mp3?id=136780
LefterisK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From CoF's Facebook page:

Quote:
Dani Filth has been spending all week in Grindstone Studios with Cryptoriana producer Scott Atkins working on the remix of 1998’s Cruelty and the Beast, which will see the light of day late Spring to commemorate the album’s 20th anniversary in 2018 e.h.
Dani has piped up saying that ‘the remix is coming along fabulously, with a few weeks still left to seriously lift this to a new dimension. The real trick here is making the album not only sound better, but also in retaining the crepuscular atmosphere of the original release. Fans are going to absolutely love this and I promise that Scott and I have totally treated this monster with the upmost respect it deserves’.

The album will also feature Cradle of Filth’s cover of Iron Maiden’s 'Hallowed Be Thy Name’, (which is in the process of being remixed as well) and the band have most definitely not ruled out the possibility of playing the album in it's entirety in the not-too-distant future.

More important additions to the ‘Cryptoriana World Tour' will be revealed next week, so stay tuned to this deviant frequency.
Frozen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally some content worth reading!
Frozen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the interview with Anstis. It was interesting to learn about the songwriting process, and especially the relationship between him and Barker.

It was also interesting that to learn why Damien was sacked, and that most of the keyboard lines for Dusk were written by the producer.

The fact that Jon Nödtveidt had some form of autism was also new to me, though it had nothing to do with Cradle of Filth. It might be true, as he does show symptoms of it in various video interviews.

Last edited by Frozen on Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anstis said he has Asperger's too. And he did admit to being lazy, which is what Dani accused him of, but as expected, the problem wasn't that simple. He really seems like he just wanted to operate a certain way, as a team effort, no less productive, instead of taking over the songwriting, which was the impression I had before. I was also really surprised to hear that Gian was such pain in the ass and apparently that affected the entire band, resulting in nothing getting done. Sounded more like he should have been kicked, but Anstis didn't clarify what exactly happened between himself and Dani in the end, but it was decisive apparently.

What's also interesting is that he doesn't seem to rule out the possibility of recording the material he walked out with some day. It almost got made for Bastardsun afterall. When he mentions that it would have made a far better album than Midian, I've no doubt about it. I would like to hear the unreleased stuff.

In 2003, there was a Bastardsun sample track online, which was titled SoSpakeTheRevelator.mp3. By the time I got to it, it had already been deleted from the host. Search your mp3 caches! If anyone has this file, please upload it to Youtube or something.

Found a pic with Stuart and David Wayne:

Frozen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be interesting to hear, but I really wasn't a fan of the direction the band took on From the Cradle to Enslave. In my opinion, the band had realised their vision with Cruelty and the Beast. What else could they have done, really?

Oh, another thing that caught my attention was Stuart mentioning Twisted Nails of Faith, as one of his favourite tracks off of Cruelty and the Beast. I agree, that it's definitely among their most underrated.
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also didn't know that Dani had an actual musical input on the intro of Twisted Nails of Faith. Might have been the only time he ever did, albeit I've seen some clueless articles that speak of Dani as a musician, which a lyricist/vocalist is not.

Stuart seemed pretty pleased with From The Cradle To Enslave, even Of Dark Blood And Fucking, which I remember being disliked in a uniform fashion at least before. Sounds pretty good to me still! Yes the EP hinted of a more thrashy direction, but it still had hooks and there couldn't have been any shortage of excellent material on the next album.

Although after our talk, I checked out some of the upcoming Ninepence songs. Didn't really seem like something I would want to listen... I mean he does say he's glad to be doing something he's never done before, but it feels like Solstice on a bad day. Pretty simple and repetitive. He's also doing vocals this time and somehow manages to sound almost exactly like Ozzy Osbourne in 1991.

Maybe he can still do one more proper strings on fire twin guitar album.
Frozen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feuersturm wrote:
Also didn't know that Dani had an actual musical input on the intro of Twisted Nails of Faith. Might have been the only time he ever did, albeit I've seen some clueless articles that speak of Dani as a musician, which a lyricist/vocalist is not.

I will have to disagree with both of you on that. Writing lyrics on that level is incredibly challenging and takes just as much practice, as playing an instrument. I'm musician myself and the last thing I'd want to be is a vocalist, as there is so much going into it.

Feuersturm wrote:
Stuart seemed pretty pleased with From The Cradle To Enslave, even Of Dark Blood And Fucking, which I remember being disliked in a uniform fashion at least before. Sounds pretty good to me still! Yes the EP hinted of a more thrashy direction, but it still had hooks and there couldn't have been any shortage of excellent material on the next album.

It would definitly be interesting to hear the demo recordings he mentioned.

Feuersturm wrote:
Although after our talk, I checked out some of the upcoming Ninepence songs. Didn't really seem like something I would want to listen... I mean he does say he's glad to be doing something he's never done before, but it feels like Solstice on a bad day. Pretty simple and repetitive. He's also doing vocals this time and somehow manages to sound almost exactly like Ozzy Osbourne in 1991.

Maybe he can still do one more proper strings on fire twin guitar album.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't count on it.
Speerhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feuersturm wrote:

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/?id=136780
https://media.whooshkaa.com/podcasts/1704/episodes/cf9072-stuart-anstis-cradle-of-filth-whooshkaa.mp3?id=136780

Not remotely into CoF (they were just panto BM for nu metal kids to me), but this was actually really interesting to listen to.
Sarcueil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen wrote:

I will have to disagree with both of you on that. Writing lyrics on that level is incredibly challenging and takes just as much practice, as playing an instrument. I'm musician myself and the last thing I'd want to be is a vocalist, as there is so much going into it.

To each his own, I guess. I'd take being a vocalist over any instruments. I feel like have the most freedom in the bands I've played in and actually dealing with guitars looks like a huge chore to me.

https://diabolizer.bandcamp.com/
Frozen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarcueil wrote:
Frozen wrote:

To each his own, I guess. I'd take being a vocalist over any instruments. I feel like have the most freedom in the bands I've played in and actually dealing with guitars looks like a huge chore to me.

All I am saying is that it took a lot to do what Dani did on those albums, and that his contribution shouldn't be underestimated. Screaming in some generic black metal band is a whole other story, of course.
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dani's contribution to the band is a huge part of the charm, I wouldn't claim otherwise - the lyrics add a whole other dimension, the vocal work is no doubt demanding and he was always the one who conceptualized the albums. But I think the definition of a musician is someone who writes and plays music, which in Cradle Of Filth was always done by everyone else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 39 of 40

Jump to: