P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Thoughts on warped records
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luxixul Sumering

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on warped records Reply with quote

Do you buy them? I mean, as long as they work right? Some collectors are very very picky... anyway i was thinking how high the demand is. I have about 12 warped lps that could sell here in a heartbeat, however they are warped and play perfect.

Thoughts? Sell them, keep them? Dump them? Hang them? Make xerox covers out of the front covers and hang them as posters? Hmmmmm..... ? What to do?? Just hate having them sit there lol

Sorry if this post is retarded as hell, please delete this if its a dumbass question. My mind has been thinking about this non stop these last couple days and i know some people here have great ideas.

Last edited by Luxixul Sumering on Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
SlevinKelevra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unwarp them

---
Deals/trades with : Al Infierno,amon-goethe, bearsbearsbears, cwprod, dethronewilliam, Hidden38, hume, hymnsoftheneedlefreak, jerry666, lordpazuzu, , mrgoatimus, nok, snakenuts, wirelessdarkness, xyosefx .
Luxixul Sumering

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the book method and in only 2 weeks, I was able to slightly dewarp one record. It plays fine but it does have a slight wobble on it.

Damn it, if dewarping machines were legit and fully restored all my lps to how I had them, this would make my night. Very Happy

From what I know it cost over $300 and still wont get the job done.

Last edited by Luxixul Sumering on Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
MD.13

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people have said they have issues playing it, I won't bother. I'm not a fan of having a record "just to have it", if I can't listen to it I won't bother.

I'll just trade it away to someone who doesn't care if it's warped
Typhon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Warped-Vinyl-Record

Helped me with two records.. Very Happy
Luxixul Sumering

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yea i tried that method and i did see results. If theres other alternatives lmk.
CaptainHowdy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lifts and uneven vinyl bother me, especially when it's a pricier new item - smaller companies or small run stuff I can sometimes give a pass to. Even if the record plays perfect I still feel like I'm accepting an inferior or defective product and they can get away with it simply because I prefer records. I got the Vinyl Flat with the "Groovy Pouch" (no oven) back when you could get the pair for $100 and have gotten great results with it. Worked perfectly on at least 30+ records and pretty good on a few dozen more. These are strictly records without heat damage and any warping or defect comes from improper storage/transportation mind you.

the problem with selling/trading records with known issues is even if plays perfect on your turntable you don't know what equipment the next guy is using. Some players I've owned were total tanks and could play anything while other ones (usually extremely cheap or way too nice) are not kind to records with warps.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the heavy demand and popularity of vinyl a part of this problem?

Mass production escalated to the max output to try and meet demand?

Bound to be some corners cut and some manner of 'cheaper' or flawed product being released where otherwise it would not be allowable to do so.
MD.13

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:

Bound to be some corners cut and some manner of 'cheaper' or flawed product being released where otherwise it would not be allowable to do so.

I think it's just labels going to cheaper plants. I never have issues with records from bigger bands/bigger labels. It always seems to be from the smaller labels which to me makes me think it's them going the cheapest way possible. Which sometimes cannot be avoided due to funds I guess
jerry666

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i get a warped record i just. Throw it away and get another copy ..Even though i recenty got a german vertigo of black sabbaths paranoid and it was slightly warped cant replace that one so easily
snakenuts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainHowdy wrote:
lifts and uneven vinyl bother me, especially when it's a pricier new item - smaller companies or small run stuff I can sometimes give a pass to. Even if the record plays perfect I still feel like I'm accepting an inferior or defective product and they can get away with it simply because I prefer records. .

This. except, I would add a "But.." at the start of the second sentence.
I was thinking about starting a thread on this the other day. I had one specifically for a Trolldom EP.
I could swear the sound I was hearing was a little warped. I didnt think it was because of the wobble in the vinyl.
I got another EP the other day, with a similar warp, and had similar sound issues. Fine on one side, warped sound on the other (not the whole side, just near the wobble).
I pressed it harder onto the TT the second time, and it seemed to play ok.

I have a few EPs like this, not so many LPs. I think the problem may be in EPs more?
I dont know how I feel about making refund claims or returning products in "the underground". Some labels are small, and probably running over budget. As a consumer, I would expect refunds and stuff from big stores and department stores etc, but I dont "feel" like I'm a consumer in the underground, more part of a community. So I tend to let the issue go.
Besides, if its a limited press, I cant just "swap if for a new one" so theres another reason to just let it be. I couldnt be bothered with returning things overseas, either.
But I'm sure, if the next warped LP I get is too unbearable, I'd mention it to the label.

I might try the flattening method with books. I do not want to risk putting anything in a situation where the wax could melt or the grooves get damaged.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MD.13 wrote:
Demoniarch wrote:

I think it's just labels going to cheaper plants. I never have issues with records from bigger bands/bigger labels. It always seems to be from the smaller labels which to me makes me think it's them going the cheapest way possible. Which sometimes cannot be avoided due to funds I guess

Certainly a true obvious answer... a small label just barely surviving and making ends meet would obviously go a cheaper route than a well established and larger client label... unknown bands are eager to have a product to market, small labels want to have identity and a product, neither have any money usually to really start off with a bang. It all makes sense...
gordeth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny you should post this because I've been wondering what to do about one of my records that I just discovered is warped on one side. I have no idea how it got that way because I always stored it correctly. It must've came that way and I just didn't notice it before since it plays fine. I can't decide if to try dewarping it or just leave it alone. It just really bothers me to see my tonearm go up and down as it plays.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gordeth wrote:
It's funny you should post this because I've been wondering what to do about one of my records that I just discovered is warped on one side. I have no idea how it got that way because I always stored it correctly. It must've came that way and I just didn't notice it before since it plays fine. I can't decide if to try dewarping it or just leave it alone. It just really bothers me to see my tonearm go up and down as it plays.

Its only warped on one side? Very Happy

...or are the grooves stretched by a fat needle?
(I know this happens to women, but records?)
jerry666

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its only warped on one side get a record stablizer- weight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: