P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Discussion: Labels, bands, hype, and ebay prices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murustrictus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last five seconds of bidding on a 7inch record released only a few years ago my bid was still at 10 Euros (Being the first bidder) and within the last 3 seconds two people bid 85 EUR at the same time. What the fuck?
Barghest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Discussion: Labels, bands, hype, and ebay prices Reply with quote

astralvesl wrote:
DTBRex wrote:

I'd agree with you if all of that were true but the Svartrit LPs were pressed at 150 copies each with the disclaimer that they would NOT be repressed on every piece of promotional material I saw about them. That claim alone is enough to make an album sell out,....

Ok, so it was only 150 instead of 250 LP's... But still, I don't believe he did this - limitation & no re-press disclaimer - for the sake of having the vinyls become some sort of Ebay-venture...

So should labels never publicly reveal the limitation of their releases, in order to reduce the feeding frenzy of eBay & Discogs flippers? Seems like a good idea to me. After all, if a label is confident (as they should be) that their new release will sell well enough, then why highlight the limitation when advertising the release?
Barghest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Discussion: Labels, bands, hype, and ebay prices Reply with quote

DTBRex wrote:
One thing I did, though: Holding a number of copies and when the record started showing up at Ebay, put them up for sale at the regular price.

I've thought about doing that as well. But surely the first person to try and buy it would be the greedy fucker who's listing his copy at the inflated price?
Barghest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Discussion: Labels, bands, hype, and ebay prices Reply with quote

DTBRex wrote:
Reaper's Grave wrote:

Even if you want to keep pressing size down, in this case wouldn't it be more beneficial to limit the copies available to a buyer unless it is a distro/label? It doesn't have to even be one per person, i know there are people who probably just place an order together and save shipping...

Yes, that's been taken into consideration for the future. Seems to be a good way to prevent some of the Ebay-madness from taking place, at least.

I've been thinking about doing this (except for customers who I know and trust). It won't stop the flippers doing what they do, but at least it makes it a bit harder for them. They can of course order a second copy from another distro who has copies of the same release - but there's no way to prevent that.
Valgrinder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why labels still make so big deal how limited their releases are. I mean, of course every release is "limited" cause factory needs to know if they make 300, 500 or 1000 copies.

But why to announce it to public? Of course ebayers and collectors use "limited to 300 copies"-card to raise the value of their record. But if you dont say is it limited to 300 or 1500 copies, people who buy multiple copies never know beforehand if their extra copys price ever raise or is it still available from label for years.

Am I wrong but didnt Northern Heritage stopped to announce how big their pressings are? Now people dont know is the pressing so big that its still available or does it just sell badly. Be it any reason but it keeps the ebay prices down.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When labels first started the hand numbered limited release program, ebay did not exist.
Albums were generally bought and sold via mail order, there was probably not the problem of a single individual trying to buy multiple copies.

The web and online ordering and forums plus add in the ability to run your own store online via ebay etc etc changed everything.

Business practices and models that worked fine before or were part of a underground custom had a adversary overnight almost, and some people are slow to change... to adapt to a new standard of operation, and mind you a label that sells, selling is priority one... at first it was probably great just to sell all the copies, but eventually I bet pissy feelings would grow after you sold all copies at $17 and the guy that bought most of them a month later is now selling the same item at $66 each... so finally some of these labels thought fuck that, and try to spread the releases further than one customer.

I don't care too much how many copies exist myself of something, hopefully enough for everyone that wants one to have it, I really don't see metal as some special secret force that only a handful of people should be allowed to be in. It's a cool scene, but hardly exclusive to some higher ideal.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Discussion: Labels, bands, hype, and ebay prices Reply with quote

Barghest wrote:
astralvesl wrote:
DTBRex wrote:

I'd agree with you if all of that were true but the Svartrit LPs were pressed at 150 copies each with the disclaimer that they would NOT be repressed on every piece of promotional material I saw about them. That claim alone is enough to make an album sell out,....

Ok, so it was only 150 instead of 250 LP's... But still, I don't believe he did this - limitation & no re-press disclaimer - for the sake of having the vinyls become some sort of Ebay-venture...

So should labels never publicly reveal the limitation of their releases, in order to reduce the feeding frenzy of eBay & Discogs flippers? Seems like a good idea to me. After all, if a label is confident (as they should be) that their new release will sell well enough, then why highlight the limitation when advertising the release?

Publicly revealing pressing limitation is a double edged sword in a way. The 'fans' that only buy it cause it is limited is really sad as well as the distro having to make a point saying hey, this is only 100 copies, better get it quickly etc etc

Shouldn't products be moving on actually how stellar the actual music is? Not by how limited the product itself is? The mind set of record collectors is really something else in this scene.
Murustrictus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Only been played once" and "Never been played" make a huge difference.
Descension

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Elite wrote:
Temple of Darknes and their Merciless reissue comes under this as well- only sold minimal copies wholesale- literally 2 or 3 copies to only a handful of distros and was selling them every week on 7 day auctions on ebay- hence prices were going around 40 a time for a new reissue that he wasn't making available even to people trying to buy it direct from his distro.

I really wanted this reissue too. Totally shameful.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tactic is to sell a release exclusively. NH does that sometimes and for example the DSO Manifestations LP stayed available for years (despite the limitation and status of the band). Might be a headache for labels though.
scentofdeath

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Descension wrote:
The_Elite wrote:
Temple of Darknes and their Merciless reissue comes under this as well- only sold minimal copies wholesale- literally 2 or 3 copies to only a handful of distros and was selling them every week on 7 day auctions on ebay- hence prices were going around 40 a time for a new reissue that he wasn't making available even to people trying to buy it direct from his distro.

I really wanted this reissue too. Totally shameful.

These are still available from them, at 15-16 Euro
http://www.templeofdarknessrecords.com/inter.htm#
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenBull wrote:
Another tactic is to sell a release exclusively. NH does that sometimes and for example the DSO Manifestations LP stayed available for years (despite the limitation and status of the band). Might be a headache for labels though.

A headache for labels?

What about being a legit fan globally placed in the wrong place for such a tactic to be helpful other than keeping said item in said distro until the end of time.
Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
GoldenBull wrote:

A headache for labels?

What about being a legit fan globally placed in the wrong place for such a tactic to be helpful other than keeping said item in said distro until the end of time.
bitewerks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No clue if Northern Heritage stopped announcing pressing #'s but I know Freak Animal has not listed edition on his recent releases. I also do not know if he did that for any specific reason or not. For my recent LP on Freak ANimal, I had to ask him how many were pressed.
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had people asking me about limitations but I have generally stopped including that info. This hasn't stopped some from making shit up on MA and Discogs. I have seen wrong info and I an not changing it to the right info because I didn't reveal it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: