P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Discussion: Labels, bands, hype, and ebay prices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tireheb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demoniarch wrote:
GoldenBull wrote:
Another tactic is to sell a release exclusively. NH does that sometimes and for example the DSO Manifestations LP stayed available for years (despite the limitation and status of the band). Might be a headache for labels though.

A headache for labels?

What about being a legit fan globally placed in the wrong place for such a tactic to be helpful other than keeping said item in said distro until the end of time.

You're just going to have to bite the pillow and accept it. Don't like the terms? Don't buy it.

DSO Manifestatios LP was also sold as only one copy per customer. Might be also one reason why it was available for few years.

"You can't hide the hook!"
Uncolored

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Elite wrote:
I'd expect a band to get 5-10 copies so I guess there is a mystery circa 60+ copies somewhere...

dunno about other bands but nirvana 2002 got 3 copies. one per band member.

SatanHussein wrote:
my dream is to organise a funeral doom festival and sell my stockpiles of antidepressants at the merch stand
Barghest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireheb wrote:
Demoniarch wrote:
GoldenBull wrote:
Another tactic is to sell a release exclusively. NH does that sometimes and for example the DSO Manifestations LP stayed available for years (despite the limitation and status of the band). Might be a headache for labels though.

A headache for labels?

What about being a legit fan globally placed in the wrong place for such a tactic to be helpful other than keeping said item in said distro until the end of time.

You're just going to have to bite the pillow and accept it. Don't like the terms? Don't buy it.

Exclusivity of this sort creates more problems than it solves, both for bands and legitimate fans alike.

Part of a label's role is to try and get its bands' releases distributed as much as possible, to help expose the physical release to a wider number of people internationally (especially important as international shipping in most countries gets more expensive every year)

Also, let's not forget that many bands release their music through labels who are based in a different country to their own. I can't imagine that bands would see it as a good thing that their latest album isn't available to buy anywhere in their own country, let alone in a good number of other countries with a strong metal fanbase.
Vega360

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barghest wrote:
Tireheb wrote:
Demoniarch wrote:
GoldenBull wrote:

A headache for labels?

Exclusivity of this sort creates more problems than it solves, both for bands and legitimate fans alike.

Part of a label's role is to try and get its bands' releases distributed as much as possible, to help expose the physical release to a wider number of people internationally (especially important as international shipping in most countries gets more expensive every year)

Also, let's not forget that many bands release their music through labels who are based in a different country to their own. I can't imagine that bands would see it as a good thing that their latest album isn't available to buy anywhere in their own country, let alone in a good number of other countries with a strong metal fanbase.

I will not name names, but there do exist labels that I believe purposefully make there releases as difficult to acquire as possible just to up the kvlt value and set it apart from all the post nineties rehash of material out there.

Do people in Europe buy stuff from other European countries? Or if you live in say Germany can you only afford to get things from German distributors.
www.vinlandspecialservices.bandcamp.com
www.vinlandss.wordpress.com
www.ilsakoch.wordpress.com
Murustrictus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair I don't really buy much distro items unless it is something sold out from the original label, I normally just buy directly from the label that released it. Postage doesn't really cost that much more from the US than it does from other European countries.
carrioncrow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suffer from a sickness of having to buy mulitple copies (usually 3) of a release that I want...this is due to the numerous disappointments of ordering one copy and receiving it damaged in some way (seam splits, corner bends, factory scratched,etc)...I have been known to ebay some of these extra copies off but latley I can't seem to part with them....but I only buy releases that I want and not ones I think are going to be worth "big bucks"...I sell on ebay to get rid of things I no longer want period...

That being said I think that people should be able to do whatever they want...stop crying...
astralvesl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see a need to make a new thread so I'll just post this here:
http://recordflipper.wordpress.com/2012/08/22/introducing-the-list-the-recordflipper-tip-sheet-newsletter/

Friend of mine sent that to me the other day. Taking a quick look around his blog he's got several relevant metal releases listed there and it doesn't really look like he posts much since he started charging people.
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scentofdeath wrote:
Speaking of which, what's up with Relapse vinyl "100 x Clear Vinyl (Not available to the general public. Please do not request clear.)"?

First of all, I laugh hard every time I see that on their website.
Second, why tell everybody you made 100 copies that aren't available?
Third, where do these go? I mean it's 100 copies, to the band, to the employees? Wtf?

I never understood why Relapse thinks their clear vinyl is comparable to of the ark of the covenant. That little smart-ass "don't request clear" note is just silly. I've got shitloads of clear records and I had no Idea they were clear when I bought them. I've got the Earmark clear versions some Voivod and Venom. Are they worth a lot? Never checked and don't give a shit.
desolatesounds

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

astralvesl wrote:
Didn't see a need to make a new thread so I'll just post this here:
http://recordflipper.wordpress.com/2012/08/22/introducing-the-list-the-recordflipper-tip-sheet-newsletter/

Friend of mine sent that to me the other day. Taking a quick look around his blog he's got several relevant metal releases listed there and it doesn't really look like he posts much since he started charging people.

Wow, vinyl as an investment portfolio.
Shiru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carrioncrow wrote:
I suffer from a sickness of having to buy mulitple copies (usually 3) of a release that I want...this is due to the numerous disappointments of ordering one copy and receiving it damaged in some way (seam splits, corner bends, factory scratched,etc)...I have been known to ebay some of these extra copies off but latley I can't seem to part with them....but I only buy releases that I want and not ones I think are going to be worth "big bucks"...I sell on ebay to get rid of things I no longer want period...

That being said I think that people should be able to do whatever they want...stop crying...

buying 3 copies of each is bigger madness then buy everything
Barghest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now refusing to accept distro orders from anyone who I know for sure is buying extra copies of stuff to re-sell at stupidly high prices on eBay/Discogs.
Cursed Emperor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barghest wrote:
I'm now refusing to accept distro orders from anyone who I know for sure is buying extra copies of stuff to re-sell at stupidly high prices on eBay/Discogs.

Great! More labels/distributors should do this!
Hellstrike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cursed Emperor wrote:
Barghest wrote:

Exclamation
Utmost support
DTBRex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellstrike wrote:
Cursed Emperor wrote:
Barghest wrote:

Exclamation
Utmost support

Ok, but how do you know?
rauta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTBRex wrote:
Hellstrike wrote:
Cursed Emperor wrote:
Barghest wrote:

Exclamation
Utmost support

Ok, but how do you know?

Lists of email addresses, street addresses and names of customers are circulated. When someone has the time & energy to keep an eye on said online market places, the word is pretty easy to spread after spotting a record flipper.

Btw, I refuse to accept the assumption that it is always the purpose of a label to push & promote a band. Not all bands are "in it" to get recognition and wide distribution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: