P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Corvus Corax (USA)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Corvus Corax (USA) Reply with quote

Does anyone here remember the old band on Dark Symphonies Corvus Corax?

I'm not generally into fruity garbage like Agalloch but these guys did that style well and before the internet ruined metal. Plus I met them at Milwaukee Metal Fest in 1998 and they were truly weirdos. Not just some posturing fools.

One demo and one album. Symphonic Dark Metal. Pretty good stuff on a nostalgic Saturday morning.
darkishdarkness

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hell yeah, I randomly found them on soulseek when I was a teenager. it's too bad they never did anything beyond The Atavistic Triad. Looks like "Johann" mostly makes goth stuff today.
Gia Thanatos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have very good memories of that record when it came out, which I think I copied or ripped from some friend, but I never got myself a copy. I'll revisit it asap.

214N10 wrote: i met different people at concerts with which i debated archgoat in detail and we all came to the conclusion that is death/black metal
Hidden38

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall this band being on a USBM compilation years ago, something something ...An Evil Elite i think. Had Noctuary on there too.
Speerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Someone put a track of theirs on a random CDr compo swap for me in the early 00s. Had completely forgotten about them til now.

Just checking yt and pretty sure this was the song I had. A million times more interesting than Agolloch.

https://youtu.be/kOjj8PPz1pM
Nihilist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally. Definitely an original band for the time.
In The Hour of 11:11...
Nihilist

SLUMBER ROOM= www.novisiblescars.bandcamp.com
alex_korrozia1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvus Corax (USA) Reply with quote

Ashes wrote:
Does anyone here remember the old band on Dark Symphonies Corvus Corax?

I'm not generally into fruity garbage like Agalloch but these guys did that style well and before the internet ruined metal. Plus I met them at Milwaukee Metal Fest in 1998 and they were truly weirdos. Not just some posturing fools.

One demo and one album. Symphonic Dark Metal. Pretty good stuff on a nostalgic Saturday morning.

Seen them live with Weakling and possibly some other band once. I think that they were from Oregon and they travelled/lived in a school bus painted pitch black. Sure had good weed!
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a promo sleeve copy of this that I've flipped past who knows how many times over the years but I'm unsure if I ever actually listened to it. Guess I will give it a shot.
darkishdarkness

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found his Facebook and I guess the guy died in 2016. rip. Damn.
Ihslahm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johann was a a true freak and very interesting guy. He was the sole composer in the band, and around the time of Corvus Corax was sorted lodged between crust/black metal/and darkwave/gothic with a lot of neoclassical overtones. Originally CC was in Oakland, but they relocated to the PNW prior to releasing the full length and lived up there at the time they came down for that show with Weakling in their 'legendary' black evil hippie school bus "Krankenheit". After the band dissolved he switched to doing something more a mix of gothic/darkwave/neoclassical with The Red King. He got banned from playing around here several places for shooting up on stage, though I have heard people say when he did it on stage he was just shooting up water for theatrics. He definitely did some cool live theatrical/ritualistic shows with The Red King, maybe one of his last here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uspm-1tmGYI

He also was deep into occult/mysticism stuff, as well as brewing his own Absinthe, ales, and other libations. He came back to the bay area more often to do speakeasies sampling his home brews than to perform. In the last few years he was living in Cambodia where he set up a tasting room and had a small boat to take you to it apparently. As of his passing he had a completed full length new album of The Red King recorded and mixed on his computer. Currently one of our mutual friends is working to complete the release and get it out to the world in some form or other, but i am not sure what the status of that is at the moment. I saved a bunch of DAT tapes from his mom's house after he passed that were destined for the dump, but unfortunately all I found on them were mix downs of the albums he already released, or sub-mixes of keyboard stuff to play behind his live sets.

His stuff can be hit or miss with me, but i always greatly appreciated his total dedication to his art and lifestyle. He certainly aliened a lot of his old friends over the years refusing to sway from his ways. Honestly, he could be a total fucking jerk sometimes (most of the time?), but I always loved the guy just the same.
Ihslahm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonus very bad footage of The Red King

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuK_yuuchFw&list=PLD3ekZESltPM1jlcX02CutdJB58yaMokv
darkishdarkness

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey John -- do you know if there is any footage or audio of Corvus Corax playing live? I know it's been twentyish years, but I'd be curious if there was anything in the archives.
Ihslahm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkishdarkness wrote:
hey John -- do you know if there is any footage or audio of Corvus Corax playing live? I know it's been twentyish years, but I'd be curious if there was anything in the archives.

I haven't seen or heard any in the past. I did a little searching around the web some a few obscure references to see if i could find any references to recordings from the CC/Weakling show at Lucifer's Hammer but didn't turn anything up. I still have a box of some old 4 track recordings I got from Johann's mom after he died that I haven't been able to go through since my old 4 track is broken. It is possible there is some early CC stuff on there, though nothing is labeled as such. I also got a few VHS tapes, but all that stuff is Red King material, and I would assume if he had archived any CC stuff it would have been kept in the same place.

I know there was a guy who was recording a ton of bootlegs of Lucifer's Hammer gigs back in the day in SF who at least recorded the Mayhem/Weakling and Enslaved/Weakling gigs, so he may have got that one show we did with CC as well, but unfortunately I lost track of him a very long time ago, can't even remember his name at the moment. I am not sure if his recording of the Enslaved show is the same source as the version Yosuke did that bootleg CD of years ago, but if it is maybe he knows where to find him.
Ihslahm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and just found a better quality live set of The red King with better footage.
This stuff is a lot more elaborate than what Corvus Corax did. From my memory CC had some flag banners, maybe some bones and burning sage, but not the elaborate ritual setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMcZfHQ8e6s
Nihilist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've honestly never found any C.C. footage. I remember that they played at the Blood Axis and Thy Infernal show in Portland back in 1998 or so.

My old handmade in WRAITHEN used to cruise down and video shows at Lucifers Hammer every now and then. Used to post online as Ev9d9 if I am correct.
In The Hour of 11:11...
Nihilist

SLUMBER ROOM= www.novisiblescars.bandcamp.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: