P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

USPS postage increase Jan 27th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.aske

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
The retarded increase in postage is due to this specific law being implented.

That would be a viable argument if the postage rates remained steady from the inception of the USPS to the creation of this act. However, that's not the case.
grimalkin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at percentage rate increases over time before and after the act was passed. That's how to judge the validity of the argument.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you heard of inflation? Of course they will increase prices over the course of years. The retarded increase that occured in the past few years is a direct result of this law being passed.

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

.aske

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I've heard of inflation. It's the Fed's number one game.

Even adjusted for CPI, there's no spike in the price. 1974-1980 were the highest prices in real dollars.
Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pension or not we always get ripped off anyway, I'm not against workers getting a decent job condition.
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
And sign this shit.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/urge-congress-repeal-postal-accountability-and-enhancement-act-2006/nykngcHv?utm_source=wh.gov&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=shorturl

Quote:
It's basically the reason why the USPS is going broke and why lines are longer at post offices and the cost of postage is going through the roof. Law signed by Bush and written by UPS and FED EX lobbyists to try to bankrupt the USPS so that it will eventually be privatized. The law forced the USPS to fund employee benefits 75 years into the future. No other govt organization or company does this.

We found... a Republican?!

Quote:

It is unfair and unreasonable to ask the USPS to fund 7 decades of benefits when no other government agency or private company is asked to do that.

Signing it now. It's all true: making the USPS the vehicle for liberal government to achieve its commie pinko PC ends has made the USPS non-competitive. Union rules haven't helped either.
grimalkin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More subtlety with the trolling, please, Conservationist.
Blood Music

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel lucky ...

The rates increased in Finland a few months ago to in some cases 20-30% more than before.

3-5% is a walk in the park.

Although, this is definitely shitty.

Blood Music
http://www.blood-music.com
http://www.facebook.com/BlooodMusic
Throne_of_ahaz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is. We were subjected to a riduculous price increases in international mail here in the UK last year. Previously you could send a CD to the US for about £2. Now it is £3.50. Almost double.

Admittedly, I know our prices aren't on the scale of USPS, but when you factor in registration for rare DLPs and such, the prices aren't all that different as you are looking at £15-16 for one record.

Even our own national mail went up by ten pence on a single stamp, an increase of 17%
astralvesl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2006 law has had a great financial impact on an already weak postal system, there's no way anyone can deny that. I think I read somewhere that their annual payout as a result is something like 5-10 billion dollars in pensions. Once you factor in operating costs and revenue gained it's no wonder why they keep reporting record losses each quarter. Rates were bound to go up again, honestly I'm amazed it has stayed this cheap for this long, anyone remember all the ruckus over their finances in the late '90s? I don't know that standard mail will ever be dominated by a private company such as UPS or FedEx but there is certainly a push to segregate the types of mail being sent into private and public postal couriers.
vorfeed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.aske wrote:
If the USPS charged the market rate for postage and wasn't a profit neutral government agency, these problems wouldn't exist.

If the USPS charged "the market rate" for postage we'd all go out of business the next day. Look at how much UPS/FedEx charge for small-package/letter delivery, much less how much people in Europe pay. It's almost $14 to send one LP from NM to NY via UPS Ground -- that's more than FOUR TIMES the cost of media mail and more than TWICE the cost of parcel post. Privatizing the USPS will kill small business in America.

And USPS does post a profit, if not for this pre-funding mess:
http://postalnews.com/postalnewsblog/2012/02/10/nalc-congress-turns-200m-usps-profit-into-3-2b-loss/

An organization which can make 200 million dollars in one quarter during a recession does not need to be torn down for lack of profits. Besides, the USPS funds itself 100% -- its "losses" don't cost any taxpayer dollars, and until that changes I don't see why they should matter.
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flat rate envelopes were 13.95 a year ago and they went up to 16.95 at the beginning of 2012. If they go up to near 25, that would be fucking ridiculous.
bitewerks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer private over public but definitely agree that UPS/FedEx isn't going to ship a cd or cassette or a paperback book for a few bucks across the country so we'd all be fucked good without the PO despite how annoying they can be.

Oddly enough, the 2006 bill that started all those, was co-sponsored by a couple of Democrats. I don't like either side so that doesn't really surprise me.
.aske

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vorfeed wrote:
.aske wrote:
If the USPS charged the market rate for postage and wasn't a profit neutral government agency, these problems wouldn't exist.

If the USPS charged "the market rate" for postage we'd all go out of business the next day. Look at how much UPS/FedEx charge for small-package/letter delivery, much less how much people in Europe pay. It's almost $14 to send one LP from NM to NY via UPS Ground -- that's more than FOUR TIMES the cost of media mail and more than TWICE the cost of parcel post. Privatizing the USPS will kill small business in America.

And USPS does post a profit, if not for this pre-funding mess:
http://postalnews.com/postalnewsblog/2012/02/10/nalc-congress-turns-200m-usps-profit-into-3-2b-loss/

An organization which can make 200 million dollars in one quarter during a recession does not need to be torn down for lack of profits. Besides, the USPS funds itself 100% -- its "losses" don't cost any taxpayer dollars, and until that changes I don't see why they should matter.

The USPS is using a line of credit from congress that it has never paid back and never will. Tell me where in the private market a deal like that would be made.

Also, read up on the history of Lysander Spooner.
.aske

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitewerks wrote:

Oddly enough, the 2006 bill that started all those, was co-sponsored by a couple of Democrats. I don't like either side so that doesn't really surprise me.

Democrats and republicans are both for big government. Don't let them fool you with the political theater. Neither party has a principled approach toward any social issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 2 of 22

Jump to: