P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Songs like Demolition Hammer's "Hydrophobia"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kojiri

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Songs like Demolition Hammer's "Hydrophobia" Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me similar songs to this.

It's so unique for a song so incredibly crushing, fast and violent to have a harmonizing lead (15 seconds in) so uplifting and gentle.

Any suggestions specifically from the Death/Thrash genre?

NO SEVEN INCH NOVEMBER!!
medarov

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm sure that there will be a lot to mention like for example the usual suspects like Sadus, Morbid Saint and so on. But, some days ago I stumbled on this gem of CHRONIC DECAY, called "Justify Your Existence" - never paid attention to it so far. The songs are short, fast outbursts of death/thrash violence.
Kojiri

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for more than short fast death-thrash my man, perhaps I wasn't clear. Thanks anyway.

NO SEVEN INCH NOVEMBER!!
Aaattaack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overthrow, like mix between Sadus and DemoHammer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQGVogLNr9Y

Num Skull - No Morals, also has small mid-tempo harmony part in the middle, needless to say the whole album is one Death/Thrash masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZslfIewxUAU
lifeless

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's almost a d-beat vibe to this track
glamhammer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lifeless wrote:
there's almost a d-beat vibe to this track

i dont hear any d-beat...this is d-beat

showed here by anticimex with branicellbattle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECF0J7yKF3s
Carpathian_Florist
banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demolition Hammer were one of a kind. No one wanted to thrash/kill harder than those guys. I put them in the trinity of forgotten bands. Morbid Saint, Razor, and Devastation.
Zris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may consider this a dumb question, but considering the amount of supposed 'Hammer fans who i've come across over the years that are ignorant i have too ask: you are aware of the 'Skull Fracturing Nightmare' and 'Necrology' demos, correct??

in case not:
Skull Fracturing....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBDeuuV8J1o

Necrology....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEPbJOTEEAU

oddly enough, 'Hydrophobia' & 'Neanderthal' were always the only tracks i actually to be found better on TE, slowed down and made more menacing....whereas all the other tracks (especially 'Crippling...') just sound fucking weak in comparison to their 'Necrology' versions

beyond this, ionno man.....Demolition Hammer is my 2nd favorite Thrash band (after Vio-lence) so i spent a good couple years in my teens trying to find bands of a similar edge and beyond other bands who just share the tag of 'Death/Thrash' i didn't find shit....in fact my search was so fruitless i plunged into Death itself and haven't looked back.....still haven't found much similar let alone one of the specific tracks

maybe 'Epidemic-Decameron'?! no idea for any lone song, been awhile since i listened but i remember that being one of the closest comparisons, barring the obvious like Morbid Saint......

HAIL VINNY DAZE. FUCK GLOBEFISH. FUCK CENTURY MEDIA.
SoundsOfDecay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Necrology demo is awesome, but I still prefer Tortured for the way it blends thrash metal with a classic Morrisound death metal production.
Zris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't get me wrong i love that production too, and the 2 tracks made for that album (Gelid & Paracidal) show it off perfectly....i've just been annoyed ever since hearing 'Necrology' how much they slowed down the tracks on it for the album (barring aforementioned Neaderthal & Hydrophobia)....SPECIFICALLY 'Crippling Velocity' that's my favorite track of theirs and it just sounds FUCKED on TE-not even like the other ones where it seems like they literally played it at a slower tempo....it sounds more like they played it at 'Necrology' speed and then was turned down artificially via studio.

& i'm not sure if that's true or if that was even possible in that era?? (i imagine so, but i don't know much about production barring layman shit) but ionno, it's always sounded decidedly different to me than the entire album, CD and LP (reissue's at least) both and beyond that just wholly weak in comparison to the previous version....which is in turn far down from what it sounded like live (going by videos, SCREW YOU to all the lucky oldheads who saw them in person!)

sorry for the tangent
SoundsOfDecay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been easy to speed up or slow down the tape in those days. I've heard rumours that both Pure Holocaust and The Erosion of Sanity were slightly sped up (what's referred to as being "tapesped").
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: