P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Your introduction to black metal.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harmless

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear diary, i remember it like it was yesterday when i strolled out to the bookstore with my grandfather. it was a rainy day and i wanted to see if the store had the new metal hammer in. it didn't. but it had kerrang!!! and so i was introduced to black metal by kerrang!!!.

later i strolled out to skífan and bought the emperor/enslaved split which i exchanged only minutes later when i saw rotting christ's "thy mighty contract".
spectre

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADK wrote:

Just right in time, I would say.

Rush: Witchunt is such a shitty song to have on a compilation if you ask me.

My introduction was hearing Mercyful Fate's "Don't Break the Oath" at age 14.
iron tyrant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venom in 1986, I remember I was scared to death by the opening of "Sons of Satan".

I still am.

Professor Black wrote:
NWOBHM is not a style of music.
nonwave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

around '94, i was definitely into Deicide, Morbid Angel, etc. and had heard about the second wave here and there. those records weren't really that common or easy to get back then. i went over to some friend's house and he played me some of "live in leipzig". it sounded cool or whatever. i went on a tour during fall '94 and met this guy at the gig in buffalo. he taped me "de mysteriis dom sathanas", "pure holocaust", the first burzum record (which i didn't really like) and a track each from "Barathrum VITRIOL" and "Dark Endless".

pretty good way to get into black metal, if you ask me.

Pit Magazine and Sounds of Death were both covering the range of extreme metal at the time and they were pretty spot on until they both kind of sold out/shit the bed editorially.

the first time i heard of bestial warlust was in S.O.D., certainly.
the wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dubbed tape with side A "Killing is my business" side B " Black metal" circa 90 and at that time i was more into the Megadeth side than in the Venom one.
ADK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectre wrote:
ADK wrote:

Just right in time, I would say.

Rush: Witchunt is such a shitty song to have on a compilation if you ask me.

Yes, there was really some shit on those samplers, but no surprise, as it was compiled by the staff (and readers?) of German Metal Hammer magazine, if I remember correctly. And also no surprise that Venom made a huge impact on young ADK among all that crap, haha!

The later samplers (1982-'89) also had Thrash bands like Slayer, Exodus, Kreator, Anthrax, Sodom etc. A pretty good introduction back then.
Abhorrent Enmity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cousin of mine introduced me to black metal through Darkthrones Panzerfaust and Godless Norths Dark Rites of the Mystic Order about 11 years ago now.
Satanic Slut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 89 I was into Slayer, Coroner and Sodom in a big way, and this crusty dude I knew lent me a dubbed copy of HellHammers "Apocalyptic Raids" which blew me away. A few days later I bought Venom's "The Singles 80 - 86" on tape and spun it non stop for years...I still spin it on vinyl every month or two.
From there it way into Immortal, Mayhem, Satyricon, Marduk etc in the early 90's.
Warcrust

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the mid 90's with scandinavian bands. Maybe Immortal was the first then Darkthrone.
Iscariah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got into Celtic Frost and Sodom around 88. Went to vacation with my parents to Denmark in about 92 and bought a copy of Progress Magazine (w/Jo Bench on the cover) with ads sections for tapetrading and fanzines. Ordered ALL demos and fanzines in that issue and got into Black Metal from there. Also remember buying Sarcofago "Laws of Scourge" on LP on that trip. Also I must give credit to Abbath for compiling me tapes in late 80s with Carcass, Hobbs, MA, Repulsion etc...he was in my high school.

LABEL (MORBOSIDAD / NOMINON SPLIT OUT NOW + DEATHCULT NORWAY CASSETTES):
www.edgedcircleproductions.com
LuiSlayer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing Decayed play live in a festival in 1993 (my third concert ever). When the promoter introduced the band, he said something like "the most extreme Portuguese Black Metal band". After hearing the words "Black Metal", I started laughing; when the band started playing, I stopped...
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was walking through Norway with some scrap book ideas and lost a drawing of something I was going to call Darkthrone.

By the time I got back home the band was legendary. I checked it out, it was a lot of my ideas.

So not only was that my first exposure but I also invented black metal, anyone else want to share more history of how you bought such and such band at a music store twenty years ago?
Antimosh003

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Kerrang! CD sampler with Satyricon's Fuel For Hatred on it that came out a month or so before Volcano.

If we are mentioning Death Metal too then it was Cannibal Corpse - Gore Obsessed.

Probably a few other bands from compliations around 2002 but they were the first two that sprung to mind.
AvengingEagle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day (around '95) my dad used to take me to the library which had also had a large selection of cd's you could lend, I was already into stuff like megadeth and anthrax, but when i saw darkthrone's under a funeral moon i just had to hear it. I didn't know shit about BM, needless to say my 15 yo ass was very impresed, it all went downhill from there.
Some real gems they had there, vital remains let us pray, repulsion, terrorizer, etc... A shame libraries aren't like that anymore.
HotBlack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkthrone... A Blaze in the Northern Sky

I was(am) really into DM and loved Soulside... so when A Blaze came out I bought it.. even though it was obv. they had made a big change in their style.. I liked it. They dedicated that album to Euronymous in the booklet... so that and the church burning and the murder of him the following summer led me to check out Mayhem and Burzum to see what all the fuss was about... wasn't very impressed by either of their output at that time... since then I continued to by DT albums and some BM albums that piqued my interest at the time of their release: Marduk, Dissesction, Dark Funeral, Enslaved, Satyricon to name a few.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: