P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Your introduction to black metal.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryan_the_snake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Lords of Chaos". I didn't know ANYONE into metal, let alone black/death metal when I was in high school or anything so I was totally in the dark about it. That book, inaccurate/sensationalist as it is, introduced me to a lot of classic records.
Hipsterfago

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched a clip of Mayhem live at Wacken performing Freezing Moon with a friend.
I was 11 at the time and i disliked the horrible singer (i still do). Plus the song was kinda boring at that time. That's my introduction i guess.
Abgrund

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallen_Empire wrote:
Satyricon - Mother North music video in 8th grade probably. It was mostly a joke to my friends and I at that point because that video is so over the top ridiculous, but by 9th grade I had discovered that there was something to black metal that the other genres I was into at the time were lacking.

Exactly the same story here!
samsquanch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't recall which came first, Darkthrone 'Blaze' when it was released or Sepultura 'Morbid /Bestial'.......

I recall my Mum asking if the voices were meant to be like that out of concern that I had bought a faulty cassette.
Necrophagia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In school we had that thing where we would exchange CDs for one week in order to listen something new. I remember giving to a friend of mine at that time Holy Diver and he gave me Spiritual Black Dimensions by Dimmu Burger. That was my first ever touch with black metal. But things got under way in a correct manner when I purchased Under A Funeral Moon.
Morbid69

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in high school listening to death metal and heavy metal then one of my mates came to school one day with a Burzum CD and we listened to it on the discman, and frothed over how extreme and dark it all was (Hvis lyset tar oss is an album I'll never let go of).

From there we started going into the city record stores and asking about black metal, they didn't know what we were talking about, but we kept digging through the CDs and eventually found Dark Throne "Transilvanian Hunger" and thought WOW

The internet came in handy too, I remember dialing up my 56k modem to try and find out who's who, led me to more obscure stuff and put me in touch with some mailorder distros.

Then as soon as I turned 18 I went to as many gigs as I could and met a few cool people who felt the same way, and the rest is history!

Mr_Belvedere wrote:
I rather prefer playing with my girlfriends pussy instead of nerding around in a virtual hell

Last edited by Morbid69 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Saltrubbed Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to Death Metal since forever but I didn't like Black Metal at all, I thought there was too much screeching and emotion. I later changed my mind when reading anus.com reviews etc. First BM album was Darkthrones 'blaze..' back in 2002, didn't really love BM until buying 'Apocolytic Raids 1990 AD' in 2006
CrucifixionWounds

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovered black metal and death metal around the same time. As a youngster, I actively looked for album covers that were fucked up, and of course Cannibal Corpse blew my fucking mind when I first saw Butchered at Birth at the record store. I discovered Deicide, Venom and Bathory the same way.
Chicken_Dance

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was 11 years old, I told the old guy in the CD store I liked Sepultura and AC/DC so he gave me:

Master's Hammer - Ritual
Sigh - Infidel Art
Ildjarn - <can't remember which one>

So I guess Master's Hammer was my introduction to BM, even though it took me a few years to work out it actually was BM (I remember telling friends it was "power metal" when I first got it. hahah).

And other than that I think it was Burzum because the covers looked mysterious to me as a teen.

Last edited by Chicken_Dance on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
DTP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first wave: at war with satan/apocalyptic raids/the return around '88

second wave: worship him/FAOD/blaze/oathofblackblut around '91/'92
Ragingwinter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically the first "extreme" metal band i heard and liked was Cradle's damnation and a day cd when it first came out.

Shortly after Venom and Emperor came in the picture, been hooked ever since.
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 1995 I was into a lot of thrash and death metal. I was at a drugstore and bought my first issue of Metal Maniacs because Carcass and Down were on the cover. That issue opened up a huge door for me in terms of metal. The issue covered a ton of stuff that I never heard before. Their review of Samael's Rebellion EP really caught my attention, so that was my first bm album I bought. With that CD coming in the mail so did the Identity label comp. which had Emperor's I Am The Black Wizards on it. That song left a huge impression on me and I have been hooked ever since. So really I consider ITNE my first bm album cause Rebellion was an EP and isnt quite bm in my opinion.
nonwave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i first heard black metal about two months ago when i heard the new liturgy record. that shit is EVIL. changed my life. i'm curious about all this other stuff you guys are talking about, even though it sounds a little gay.
Carlzilla

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayhem - Live in Leipzig sometime in later 1995

From there it was a real quick step into the normal stuff like Burzum, Cradle of Filth, Emperor, Samael, Rotting Christ, Marduk, Dark Funeral etc.

I got a copy of a compilation in a trade in mid 1996 with Bestial Warlust, early Impaled Nazarene, and Destroyer 666's Violence is the Prince of This World. This lead to my love of the nastier side of black metal. Trying to share those bands with anyone around me was pointless...they wanted stuff like Cradle of Filth and Ancient...I wanted stuff like Vengeance War...

And now we have fags complaining about other fags. A "fagoboros" if you will.

http://www.last.fm/user/carlzilla
DrkKnight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venom in 1983, and even though I don't call these first couple of bands BM others do so I'll indulge, in order:

Bathory '84
Hellhammer '84
Sodom '84
Sarcofago '87
Emperor/Immortal/Burzum/Darkthrone/Thou Shalt Suffer '92
*Pretty much every BM band from Sweden/Norway you can name, Dissection being a top pick, along with Impaled Nazarene's first demos and albums

After this era it's all a wash, save for a few gems mixed in.

Good deals: Travis N., xyosefx, Dark Descent, captainretardo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: