P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Your introduction to black metal.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krakentorso

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1990:
scorpions - best of rockers and ballads
iron maiden - killers
1991:
kreator - coma of souls
v/a - grindcrusher
v/a - at death's door
napalm death - harmony corruption
91/92:
death metal, just death metal
92/93
discovering second wave BM with darkthrone - a blaze ..., acheron, beherit, mayhem, burzum, enslaved, immortal etc.

in fact I knew darkthrone's first from a dubbed tape but then I listened to the title track of the 2nd album on some compilation and I was literally mesmerized. fucking culture shock and some sort of awakening moment in my teenie life, haha!
SWO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first 3

1. Emperor ITNSE
2. Darkthrone A Blaze In The Northern Sky
3. Satyricon Nemesis Divina

Fuck metal, hail interludes
funeralfog666

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was mostly into grind/Death metal in early teens around 96 I think Local record store(mother records in tacoma south of seattle) was getting loads of black metal vinyl/cds. I made many blind purchases back then discovering dissection enslaved emperor satyricon burzum mayhem.....
Wilhelm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Your introduction to black metal. Reply with quote

Ragingwinter wrote:
Just curious as to some stories behind everyone's intro to black/death metal. Bands, albums, videos etc...

The gateway:

I started off ordering through FMP and trading tapes via snail mail in 1995. Some of the first BM albums I owned included Hades "Again shall be", Forgotten Woods' "As the wolves gather", Burzum's "Hvis lyset tar oss", Bathory's self titled debut and "A blaze in the northern sky" by Darkthrone. Early issues of Petrified zine helped me establish contacts with a number of bands, some of which I am/was still in contact with until recently.
everdarkgreen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1988 - Sarcofago "I.N.R.I."
1990 - Blasphemy "Fallen Angel of Doom"

and life was never the same again!
Airyanem Vaejah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had been listenening to death/thrash for a couple of years when I got into the first three Dimmu Borgir albums. They never made that much of an impression on me, but seemed quite special at that young age. I do not feel any nostalgia towards them today, even though Ive tried to listen again every other year or so. The first album that really twisted me towards the dark side would be Gorgoroth Pentagram. Soon after that came Beherit, early Darkthrone albums and DMDS. Didnt get into bands like Blasphemy etc. until some years later. I started listening to metal at a very early age so my kult score should be equal to most people here born during the 80s. Surprised
wargoat_H

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Founding 'Slayer - Die by the Sword' and 'Mercyful Fate - Evil' in two 1985 LP compilations by Roadrunner and Music for Nations labels.
Don't know if they're count as BM for the newer kids, but every group with satanic lyrics/imagery was called like that back then.

Also, I remember a list published in a mainstream pop/rock magazine with the worst bands in Metal of that year - some names: Venom, Hellhammer, Bathory Wink
El Feroce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circa 1992, I was taken by Death Metal (and brutal also) of Morbid Angel, Obituary, Death, Deicide Suffocation and others. When I went to my closer vynil shop and see a black lp with a white-faced strange man screaming among the tombs, I told the dealer that I wanted to hear it before buying. I remember hearing (for the first time) a mosquito's like guitars and an high pitched screaming (it was A Blaze In The Northern Sky).
After a while I told him to take it off because I did not like and bought 'You'll never see'. Only after a few years I was able to understand that kind of music with the first Burzum and then came all other Norse bands and Cradle Of Filth.

Still in my listenings just old TNBM and old Cradle too.
Perverted Necrofucker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krakentorso wrote:
1990:
iron maiden - killers
1991:
kreator - coma of souls
v/a - grindcrusher
v/a - at death's door
91/92:
92/93
discovering second wave BM with darkthrone - a blaze ..., acheron, beherit, mayhem, burzum, enslaved, immortal etc.

in fact I knew darkthrone's first from a dubbed tape but then I listened to the title track of the 2nd album on some compilation and I was literally mesmerized. fucking culture shock and some sort of awakening moment in my teenie life, haha!

Yupp !! Was this compilation such an old peaceville-sampler ? Then i think i got the same surprise moment back then, was the reason for me to buy under a funeral moon !! I was already into My Dying Bride and Anathema but the Darkthrone track was so awesome !!! I still remember how my friends said something like" This sucks, believe it or not but nobody will ever care for Black Metal" but i got toptally possessed at once !!!

GOOD TRADERS : Vandreren , black sun, Kelkum, Gravelander , Division Lycanthrop, goat_lord, Kakarot SS5, S.P.
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emperor's demo that I saw reviewed in some zine. After that I literally sent every spare penny I had in envelopes to Norway and Finland.
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First contact with extreme metal was Sepultura's Arise. Got a tape dub from a friend. Had been listening to hard rock before that, but it felt pretty comfortable right from the start.

Black metal... Limbonic Art's Moon In The Scorpio from tape on art class, maybe 8th grade in 1997. That was interesting. Was knee deep in figuring out nordic black metal right after that.

Last edited by Feuersturm on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
krakentorso

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perverted Necrofucker wrote:
krakentorso wrote:
1990:
iron maiden - killers
1991:
kreator - coma of souls
v/a - grindcrusher
v/a - at death's door
91/92:
92/93

Yupp !! Was this compilation such an old peaceville-sampler ? Then i think i got the same surprise moment back then, was the reason for me to buy under a funeral moon !! I was already into My Dying Bride and Anathema but the Darkthrone track was so awesome !!! I still remember how my friends said something like" This sucks, believe it or not but nobody will ever care for Black Metal" but i got toptally possessed at once !!!

yeah, it was a peacevill compi and yes all my metal friend did not really care for darkthrone. remember when older pupils laughed at me when I wore the immortal pure holocvaust shirt on the school yard, haha!
Lepri Nevod

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was already listening to other metal, hardrock, whatever for almost a year. Heard Darkthrone's "A Blaze In The Northern Sky"-track on Peaceville Vol. 4 in 1992. Instantly hooked! A couple of weeks later a friend at school gave me Beherit's "The Oath Of Black Blood" and Impaled Nazarene's "Tol Cormpt Norz...". Great way to start huh...
Aszfargoth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After being intrigued by an advertisement printed in a then-recent issue of a music merchandise catalogue (EMP, if you'd want to know), I purchased Cradle of Filth's "Midian" and felt awesome. A friend of my brother's then advised me to rather listen to something better and gave me dubbed tapes of Burzum, Emperor, Immortal and so on. Immediately, I knew the error of my ways, but compensated by listening to Eisregen instead of Cradle of Filth. Some time later, I discovered ANUS and everything went, according to the sources, either up- or downhill from thereon.

Last edited by Aszfargoth on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Mortado

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VENO FUCKING M. Saw the "Welcome to Hell" picture LP in a shop way back when and picked it up based on the artwork and song titles. Needless to say I was blown away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: